Question for anyone that has pre-booked the Vatican

CruisinManiac

Did you have to leave an identifying document at the entrance window and return to get it after your tour? The following wording makes it sound like you have to.

Access modalities to the Museum and admission rules

The original voucher is the only recognized document. If you do not present the voucher and the identity document, access will not be allowed. On the day of the tour, the visitors present themselves to the queue dedicated for the Vatican Museums. The personnel of the Museum in charge of inspection, shall verify the validity of the reservation by means of the bar code present on the voucher, the correspondence of the names indicated (with an eventual request of documents of the group leader) and shall allow the entrance to the Vatican Museums. If the data indicated does not correspond or if the voucher has already been used, the personnel in charge may not allow the entry of the person/s. In case of loss of the voucher, the Customer Care Staff may be able to search the reservation and issue a new document for access. It is necessary that the time of entry indicated on the reservation document be respected.

Those who do not present themselves in time, lose the right to the access that was allocated to them. However, the pre-booked ticket remains valid and is to be used according to the duration foreseen (as established in the paragraph "admission tickets"), by going to the queue of those without reservations. It is necessary that the person who made the reservation and the other components of the group are in possession of an identity document and the voucher, that have to be signed and left at the ticket window assigned for issuing the admission tickets.

We have pre-booked the Vatican Museum tour many times and have only had to turn in the voucher they emailed us. (The voucher is a pdf attachment in the email the send you. Just printing the email and not the attachment will NOT get you in.)

When you turn in the voucher, they give you the tickets which get you through the turnstyle. Although we've been prepared to show IDs, they have never asked to see them.

Hello from Barcelona.

Indeed, only the voucher or reservation requests. No need to leave at the box office any identity documents. They may want to watch, but I never left.

Greetings.

Hello,

Where do you or how do you purchse the Vatican Tours in Advance? If I am on a Tour and they offer to buy the tickets, should I have mine in advance anyways?

Thanks so much,

ECRC

Thank you so much! Going to purchase my tickets today. ;)

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do

this is where i'm getting mine.. you can only purchase them up to 60 days in advance.. even if you're hiring a tour driver, you'll still need to purchase you're own tickets i believe...

it you click on "Group tours for individuals" they will provide a guide for you, it's included w/admission..the rates seem reasonable to me.

be aware that men, women, & kids have to cover their shoulders & knees..

• 2 weeks later...

We pre-booked and this was the BEST thing we ever did. The line was about a mile and 1/2 long. We just walked to the front where it said pre-booking or reserved tours. We showed them our reservation sheet, went right in, and was screened through security (just like the airport). After clearing security, go to your far left to the ticket windows to exchange your reservation sheet for your entrance tickets. Then take the stairs or elevators up to the next floor. If you wish you can purchase the audio guide near the top of the stairs and off you go. We just downloaded Rick Steve's free MP3s and used them. It worked really well.

Archived