Crew nationalities on Princess

wah gwan

Hello,

I used to work for RCI but have recently been offered jobs with both Princess and Oceania. I am just curious where the crew come from on Princess?

I have heard there are lots of British, Indians, Indonesians and the like.

I loved that RCI had a lot of crew from the Caribbean (Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Mexico, etc). Some friends that worked on Princess years ago said that you wont really find "black" crew on Princess, is this true?

In case you're wondering... i'm australian.

(i know there are some posts on here about this, but they are all pretty out dated) thanks guys! :)

Depends on department and position. For example, for some reason many of the SPA fitness personnel are from Australia or South Africa.

Hello,

I used to work for RCI but have recently been offered jobs with both Princess and Oceania. I am just curious where the crew come from on Princess?

:)

Hello,

I loved that RCI had a lot of crew from the Caribbean (Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Mexico, etc). Some friends that worked on Princess years ago said that you wont really find "black" crew on Princess, is this true?

(i know there are some posts on here about this, but they are all pretty out dated) thanks guys! :)

Lots of Princess staff from Eastern Europe.

There are a lot of Filipinos below deck. I've seen Mexican, Eastern European, Indonesian, South African folks in the main dining rooms. Caribbean folk are usually bar staff. CD staff is usually British, South African and Australian.

Two weeks ago I was on the Coral Princess. I found that in the main dining room there were a mixed bag of Mexican, South American, and Asian waiters and Jr waiters. In other areas of the ship, there were Jamaican bartenders, Philappinos, Europeans, and yes, Australian in the gym and spa. So it seems that nearly all cultures are represented.

It's a good mix of all nationalities on Princess ships depending on the ship, department and positions. I've seen a lot of the eastern europeans that work in the spa on one ship but not on another ship. Crew changes when their contracts are up and it doesn't mean a complete change of the crew either.

RCL :NYSE used to be from Norway and changed.

A lot of Vendors are on Carnival Lines Lines. They now have a World Record of One Hundred Vessels afloat all over now.

Both RCL NYSE and CCCL :NYSE / LSE are HQ in Miami , Florida and actually as you worked for RCL you well know the majority of higher+up's in HR and Staffing are there.

Since you come from the Continent of Australia which is wonderful IMHO, you well know Princess and P&O now part of CCL are the largest provider of Passenger Cruises from there.

So it well may in your best mutual benefit you carry forward to the CCL/CUK lines. As well the ships from there also pay a larger wage ..:cool:

AUD$ and NZ$ are nice...

In your Race question it is not so Jobs are open to any/all.

If someone does not want the work then do not take the position offered...

I do think that is a truism worldwide.

Hello,

According to their website, Princess has "authorized" recruiting partners in Indonesia, the Philippines, China, Australia, India, South Africa, Italy, Portugal, Croatia, Canada and Mexico so one would expect a large chunk of staff and crew from those countries.

In our experience, we've never had a steward who wasn't Filipino and our wait staff and bar staff have been all over the map (LOL-pun intended). Most of the able-bodied seamen on the ships are also Filipino with the officers being British or Italian and the security guys Indian.

Good luck with your job decision!

According to their website, Princess has "authorized" recruiting partners in Indonesia, the Philippines, China, Australia, India, South Africa, Italy, Portugal, Croatia, Canada and Mexico so one would expect a large chunk of staff and crew from those countries.

In our experience, we've never had a steward who wasn't Filipino and our wait staff and bar staff have been all over the map (LOL-pun intended). Most of the able-bodied seamen on the ships are also Filipino with the officers being British or Italian and the security guys Indian.

Good luck with your job decision!

ahhh thanks! thats kind of what i was wondering. not sure why i didnt think to look for their official hiring partners. thank you very much! :)

also someone mentioned that princess/carnival would pay better. For the same job which i did on RCI and have been offered on Princess and Oceania (guest services) Oceania pays a considerable amount more. but im foolish and have never worked for money. I think ill just see what itineraries they offer me, haha. :)

Thanks again! :)

Depends on department and position. For example, for some reason many of the SPA fitness personnel are from Australia or South Africa.

The Spa is not operated by Princess. It is sublet out to an indepoendent company. They are not Proncess employees.

It's a good mix of all nationalities on Princess ships depending on the ship, department and positions. I've seen a lot of the eastern europeans that work in the spa on one ship but not on another ship. Crew changes when their contracts are up and it doesn't mean a complete change of the crew either.

The spa and their employees are from Steiner, the company that operates it. I have hardly ever, if ever, seen Eastern European up in the spa. They are usually all UK . NZ or Australian, though the Sapphire had a acrylic nail tech from Jamaica.

On the Sapphire in Dec/January -the ship had a very high percentage of Philippinos (sp?). They explained that due to the dollar - the exchange rates are not very favorable for Europeans to work. Also those from the Phillipines work 10 month contracts which is beneficial to Princess and that they have a very strong schooling in the English language. This is the first time I have seen that high of people from there. We did run into a lot of Eastern European and Mexican higher ups.

Archived