Star: Family Suite vs. Mini Suite

keichman

Ack! Looking at a March 2012 sailing of the Star from Tampa. I was excited to find that there was only a $500 difference between a Mini Suite and a Family Suite, and the $600 OBC (for Amex booking and Suite booking) made moving into a true suite with all the suite ammenities very enticing... UNTIL I realized that the standard Family Suite doesn't seem to have a balcony. (The Family Suite with a balcony adds another $600 to the cost of the cruise.)

Ugh. Now we're trying to decide whether losing a balcony is worth the suite ammenities. Opinions?

the family suite on deck 12 sleeps 6, the penthouse suite with the balcony sleeps 4. The family suites that are considered handicapped also sleep 4. We had the balcony penthouse rm 12512 on the Star back in February, superb. It was just the two of us and we loved , loved loved it..The suites are huge and laid out very nice, with extremely large bathrooms. You will not be sorry if you choose the family suite, you are already on the pool deck, and one deck below deck 13 with another hot tub and the bier garden and lots of seating and viewing areas.. I would definitely book the family suite vs. the mini suite-no perks and way less room to move around. How many are going to be in the room? Dona

It surprised me how much I didn't miss the balcony when we had our family suite on the Star last September. You have a gorgeous view through those windows and the balcony (unless you are standing on it) would take away from your view. When you are sitting in your room, it's like having a huge picture window to look out of. If you had a balcony, the railing would partially block your view from your room.

We will be in the same suite in 18 weeks from today. Can't wait!

I cannot recommend the family suites on the Star highly enough. Tons of storage, a surprising amount of floor space, never crowded, a wonderful bathroom complete with separate tub and shower, 2 sinks, lots of counter space and room for toiletries, etc.

And then there are the suite perks like VIP embarkation and Cagneys, etc. Go for it! You won't be sorry.

If you want fresh air, you are just steps away from the elevator or stairs to take you up to 13 where you are on open deck (the walking/jogging track) and a public bathroom if you need.

Go for the Family Suite!

We've sailed on the Dawn in a Mini-suite and on the Sky in a Family Suite. There's really no comparison, especially for the price that you're listing. A Family Suite is actually bigger than many hotel rooms and has an amazing location. Being on Deck 12 was convenient to everything!

It's true that there's no balcony, but the view and the amenities more than makes up for that. As others have said, fresh air is just a few steps away.

In the Family Suite, we had a butler, access to the concierge, priority boarding, snacks delivered every day, and, best of all, breakfast and lunch in Cagney's.

You'll enjoy the suite life. Have a great cruise!

I would definitely book the family suite vs. the mini suite-no perks and way less room to move around. How many are going to be in the room? Dona

It's just 3 of us...dh, me, and dd (age 10). It's sounding like the family suite is a good bet, even without the balcony.

I am not sure you can get the 2 OBC on the same cruise. I think you might either get the AMEX or the 300 suite OBC.

Actually, I've read in this forum repeatedly that these two offers are stackable...and likely a TA one, too.

I am not sure you can get the 2 OBC on the same cruise. I think you might either get the AMEX or the 300 suite OBC.

Thanks for the words of caution, ann1bell. Further research suggests that these two offers are NOT combinable. I think I was confusing this with the Latitudes OBC when one moves to the next Latitudes level. Disappointing, but better to have the correct information NOW, rather than get the news after our decision has been made!

Archived