When did the crown grill do away with the $9 surcharge for the large lobster tail?

cprofits

We just got off the Emerald and were disappointed to find out this was no,longer available.

They probably weren't getting enough interest to warrant having the more expensive lobsters on board.

We also love lobster (although we prefer a real Maine lobster as opposed to so-called lobster tail) but have never understood the long-time love affair between passengers and cruise line lobster tail. In most cases, the stuff served on cruise lines is not even that good.. These days they are often small, dried out, etc. But think about it, You are already paying good money for your cruise and food. You then are willing to pay extra money for an alternative restaurant (that serves food of the quality we used to find in the regular dining rooms on cruises). And then, you are willing to pay another $9 for a lobster tail (after having paid for the normal dinner + alternative restaurant +$9). We have a local diner that sell a pretty decent lobster tail dinner for $12.99 a person that includes 2 small lobster tails (better then what they usually serve in the main dining room). We have other restaurants that serve large lobster tails and even Red Lobster had decent lobster tail for $28.50 which is probably less then you would pay after paying for your dinner +alternative fee + $9. So perhaps the big lobster tail lovers should get it at home (easy to buy in any supermarket) and dine on other things on the cruise that do that require ridiculous add-on fees.

Hank

Hank

I live on the east coast and I understand a good lobster tail. I do not eat the small, rubbery, tasteless 4 oz tails most cruise lines offer.

The food in the main dining room has deteriorated so much over the years that we sometimes go to the specialty restaurants to receive a dining experience that used to be available nightly in the main dining room.

I was prepared to have my surf and turf and pay $34 for it and was unpleasantly surprised to find it was no longer available.

My original question asked when it was discontinued. I will file away your scolding regarding how I should spend my money. Funnily enough, I don't really drink alcohol very much any longer. But if I did, I wonder if you would think it's ok for me to pay $5 for a beer that I could easily get for $2 at home?

I could never understand why people love cruiseship lobster so much. They "ain't" that good. You would think people have never had a good lobster. If you want good lobster, it isn't on a cruiseship.

I agree entirely, I very seldom order lobster on a cruise.

I guess what you never had you can never miss, as I am from the UK and never experienced the "real" Maine Lobster which you talk about, I think it is a Maine Lobster you mention, we cruisers have no such standards, and what they offered in the Crown Grill was what I thought the best Lobster was about. I guess you are all very lucky.

I guess what you never had you can never miss, as I am from the UK and never experienced the "real" Maine Lobster which you talk about, I think it is a Maine Lobster you mention, we cruisers have no such standards, and what they offered in the Crown Grill was what I thought the best Lobster was about. I guess you are all very lucky.

Well, I'm surprised to read that. I'm from the UK and, like our American friends, I'm distinctly unimpressed by the lobster you get on cruise ships. I've tasted much better lobster over here, both in restauarants and bought cooked from a fishmonger. I know Maine lobster is supposed to be exceptional, but I think most lobster's fine if you eat it soon after it's been caught, not when it's been kept chilled/frozen for ages and transported halfway acroos the world, losing its flavour and getting tough in the process.

They probably weren't getting enough interest to warrant having the more expensive lobsters on board.

According to a friend,who is a Princess Hotel general Manager,the issue was not one of demand but one of spoilage.Apparently,they had a difficult time keeping the lobsters alive,in the tanks, so they discontinued the option.

I have seen the future and it is "a la carte". Let's face it, the cruise lines cannot go on supplying the full enchilada of accommodation, dinning and entertainment at a set price without cutting it to the bone. The day of paying for every step of the way is fast approaching. Yes, there will be the buffet and there will be MUTS but if you want to dine it will be in one of the many "specialty restaurants" and catching the show will be more expensive front row centre then in the balcony. Sheer economics dictate it. And of course, supply and demand will then bring about the availability of things like real lobster.

Since I have never been to New England to experience first-hand to taste of fresh lobster, I still really enjoy the lobster served in the dining room on my Princess cruises.

It's too bad some people seem to feel the need to keep reminding people like me that we should not enjoy that meal.

Taste and enjoyment of a meal are subjective ..... if MY tastebuds are happy, that's what matters to me. Please allow me to keep my illusions intact.

The $9 surcharge in the Crown Grill was for a WHOLE Maine lobster, antennae, claws and all. Also, the lobster tails in the Crown Grill and at the Chef's Table were much better and much larger than the ones served in the MDR.

You can get real live Maine lobster in the UK, but you will need to raid your bank account to pay for it! There is no comparison between a live Maine lobster vs those silly little things the cruise lines call lobster tails (more like large langostinos). There are many different kinds of lobster, but to me the best lobsters are Maine (or similar) lobsters that include the claws (the best part). Many purists also love to eat a whole Maine lobster that has the roe.

Hank

This did show Princess (it seems) that the 'a la carte' extra charge for some things just didn't fly with Princess Passengers (as with many items at the International Cafe offered when it first debuted). Which in itself is a good thing. If it would have been a success, my guess we would have seen more and more food items served with the extra charge associated with them. IMHO of course!

Having lived in the Boston area for 35 years and with friends with lobster pots, I don't eat cruise ship lobster. Now that I live in CA, I order it from my old local fish "shack", Marblehead Lobster Company, and it's flown overnight and the lobsters arrive alive and kicking the next morning. :) It's a lot less expensive to order lobster from them as you are paying market price per pound for the lobster plus shipping and not paying a middleman. All of the lobster from north of Cape Cod is pretty much the same as the water is cold and the lobsters don't know about state lines.

One thing to know is that IMHO, there really is a difference and it's better to get lobster after they've molted (late spring/early summer) as you are not paying for the weight of the shell plus the lobster cooks differently. I think it's much better. :)

Archived