Sea Sick Pills

Hi everyone,

Lost all threads to this topic. Can anyone advise what are the best anti-sea sickness tablets? We have been overnight sailing twice - Newcastle to Amsterdam and Cyprus to Egypt. Did not feel sea sick at all and we don't usually get travel sick. Is it better to be prepared? Also should you take it just in case or only if required? Thank you in advance! :confused:

not had to use any sickness pills as yet thankfully - have used the sea bands though and they are fantastic - kept me fine on a tender for over an hour on a very choppy sea in cannes bay last year while we waited for them to swap the platform from one side of Destiny to another - and I get sick on pedalo usually LOL great for in the car too! not wonderful if you want an even tan without white lines round your wrists though!!

stugeron (cinnarazine) has seen me safely across many high seas, notably a force 9 gale with both pitch and roll from aberdeen to shetland.:eek:

regards pauline

I normally have just the sea bands too, but like you say Ceabea, not too good for an even tan! Last year I took mine off for this reason, but only until the lines had filled in. Luckily I was OK without them!

Sturgeron as well, although we´ve never needed them so far....but Cape Horn may prove they work.

I am told they make youu sleepy tho´.

Sandy in Spain

took them last year because capt had warned of rough seas went down to the cabin to use the loo and hubby came looking for me 1/2 hr later to find me asleep on the bed so looking for a non drousy tablet for the next cruise any suggestions? ps the rough sea didnt materialise either just lost a night of my holiday

took them last year because capt had warned of rough seas went down to the cabin to use the loo and hubby came looking for me 1/2 hr later to find me asleep on the bed so looking for a non drousy tablet for the next cruise any suggestions? ps the rough sea didnt materialise either just lost a night of my holiday

I am exactly the same last time I took one I went for a short lie down at 7pm next thing I knew it was 8 in the morning.:(

I now take Sea Legs I have been told Boots Traveleeze are the same drug. I asked at reception if they sold anything else besides Stugeron and they gave me another type. Can't remember the name but looked it up when I got home and found out they were Sea Legs. These worked great on me didn't make me drowsy at all.

Mary

Thanks all! Will check out stugeron and sea legs. Sounds like you would only take them if rough seas are expected! Was on holiday in Majorca a few years ago and sailed in fairly small boat from Cala Millor to Es Cana market for daughter's 13th birthday treat. Very choppy seas - the gang plank kept lifting way off the pier and you had to pick your moment and run up it! Slight worry as 3 kids had to do this them mum and dad! Photos taken to prove it! Well there was a German chap on board and he was so sea sick I actually thought he was having a heart attack. I am a nurse so if I was worried then there was cause for concern! He looked very poorly! Needless to say they took a taxi back to Cala Millor. We however braved the sea and no-one was ill - I did keep thinking we were all doomed though! :eek:

Was on holiday in Majorca a few years ago and sailed in fairly small boat from Cala Millor to Es Cana market for daughter's 13th birthday treat. Very choppy seas

Es Cana is on the eastern coast of Ibiza, is it not ?

That trip would be around 160 km (approx), with about 125 km of that across open water between the two islands.

How small was the boat ?

Before I took my very first cruise I had to be the biggest worrier, my concern was being sea sick. I can offer nothing but great praise for Boots brand tablets. They work quickly (roughly 30 min) and don't knock you out.

Dosage is an important issue, always read the label before purchasing. If you have to take tablet before setting off on travels then what use is that on a cruise ship. It's much better to have something that you can choose to take when and IF you need to.

A note about feeling sleepy. Something about being on a ship makes you feel so relaxed. Maybe its the sound of the ship cutting thru water, or the sea breeze. On some ships it's the gentle sound of the ship's engines. I find that I feel almost like a baby being sent to sleep.

Of course, we can all get different responses to medication - but just a thought relating to my experience of Stugeron.

Actually it doesn't knock me out - but there are different strengths available. I believe the usual one bought from Boots is 15mg but I once bought some from Reception on Celebration or Spirit and it's 25mg. I've still got some in the box in my toilet bag and just checked them. I'm certain they're the ones I bought on board because the writing on the box is in Greek and also a bigger pack than you can usually get over the counter at Boots.

I find it more effective than others but it could be worth bearing in mind if it has made you excessively sleepy and you got it on the ship, it could be the stronger version which has affected you so much.

Anyway, as long as something works - that's all that matters! Happy sailing! :D

In other countries you can buy medicines over the counter which are only available on prescription in the UK. This includes stronger strengths of painkillers etc. You can also buy otosporin and otomize for ears over the counter - again prescribable in the UK. Probably wise to read the packet as Kruzseeka says. :D

Of course, we can all get different responses to medication - but just a thought relating to my experience of Stugeron.

Actually it doesn't knock me out - but there are different strengths available. I believe the usual one bought from Boots is 15mg but I once bought some from Reception on Celebration or Spirit and it's 25mg. I've still got some in the box in my toilet bag and just checked them. I'm certain they're the ones I bought on board because the writing on the box is in Greek and also a bigger pack than you can usually get over the counter at Boots.

I find it more effective than others but it could be worth bearing in mind if it has made you excessively sleepy and you got it on the ship, it could be the stronger version which has affected you so much.

Anyway, as long as something works - that's all that matters! Happy sailing! :D

I never thought of Stugeron coming in different strengths.:o

I have had a look at what strength mine are and they are the weakest at 15mg. I have never bought any from Reception which is a good thing if they are the stronger ones I would probably have been zonked for the next day as well.:)

My hubby has taken them on the rare occasion he has needed anything and he was fine.

So for me it has to be the other type. It is good though that there is a choice in which drug to take and however it effects you it's got to be better than doing without.:eek:

Archived