Can we cancel a cabin?

Well, it happened. My son broke up with his girlfriend of almost a year this weekend -- and yes, I had booked a space for her on our June cruise on Carnival.

I have 4 cabins booked for 8 people -- and could actually fit everyone in minus her if we cancel one of the cabins. One of the cabins is a triple with only two people in it at present.

But how should I do this with Carnival? Or is it even possible at this point? I made our final payment three weeks ago. I have trip insurance but it's not the kind "for any reason." It does cover if someone has to work -- and if a company officer writes a letter saying why the person no longer can take off. Not sure that the girlfriend will want to get this -- as my son is the one who broke up with her -- but I could try.

Does anyone have a thought on how to handle this?

(I will wait a couple of weeks to make sure they've REALLY broken up, but I think it's a pretty sure thing.)

p.s. I KNEW I shouldn't have done this... the rest of you can learn from my foolishness.

I guess 'break up with her and I'll leave you to the vultures' didn't work, right? :(

If you are after final payment, I'm pretty sure you're out of luck. I had a friend who tried to cancel a cruise when she and her husband separated...it made more sense for her to take the cabin solo as the penalty would have come out of her pocket.

Here is a list of the breakdown of cancellation charges.. I think they're accurate:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/ticket_contract.aspx

I checked out that link re Carnival's policy. I'm 55 days out, so it says the deposit will be refunded. Is that right? I think the deposit was $200. Which wouldn't be bad? (Especially considering that the third person in the Triple should be cheaper, right?)

I bought this directly from Carnival if you think that makes any difference.

I checked out that link re Carnival's policy. I'm 55 days out, so it says the deposit will be refunded. Is that right? I think the deposit was $200. Which wouldn't be bad? (Especially considering that the third person in the Triple should be cheaper, right?)

Did you book ES? if so I think the deposit in nonrefundable.

Did you book ES? if so I believe the deposit is nonrefundable.

Based on the cancellation policy, you would be out the deposit for both of them. Since deposits are are generally around $200-$250 person, you would be out $400-$500.

Also keep in mind, although another cabin that is already booked may be 3 people capable, they may not allow a third person to be added. Each ship has an absolute maximum number of passengers that are allowed to board. They would prefer, all cabins filled with two people, as opposed to allow a two person cabin go empty just so a 3 person cabin has a third bed occupied.

So if the dollars make sense to cancel and add son to the other cabin, I would make sure that Carnival agrees that they can add your son to the three person cabin, before cancelling his and now former girlfriend's cabin.

Good point, Gatour, about the max number on the ship. And yes, I agree that my son could bring a buddy and have a LOT of fun on the ship, but I'd rather it just be family at this point. He has a single brother and sister going, roughly the same age, so they should be fine.

I'm waiting a few more days to see how the girlfriend shakes down and then I'll call my PVP and see what she says. I didn't buy EarlySaver, so maybe that will help.

I'm wondering if I'd have to pay the deposit on the person who isn't cancelling but is moving into that triple room?

I guess the alternative is to let someone have a private room or let the cabin sit empty?

Could I do name changes and sell it on eBay? The ship appears to be about full? (Is there a way to check and see?)

Good point, Gatour, about the max number on the ship. And yes, I agree that my son could bring a buddy and have a LOT of fun on the ship, but I'd rather it just be family at this point. He has a single brother and sister going, roughly the same age, so they should be fine.

I'm waiting a few more days to see how the girlfriend shakes down and then I'll call my PVP and see what she says. I didn't buy EarlySaver, so maybe that will help.

I'm wondering if I'd have to pay the deposit on the person who isn't cancelling but is moving into that triple room?

I guess the alternative is to let someone have a private room or let the cabin sit empty?

Could I do name changes and sell it on eBay? The ship appears to be about full? (Is there a way to check and see?)

There has to be at least 1 person left in the cabin that was on the orginial reservation.

Archived