major issue

sarahc78

Just found out this morning that my cc was compromised over the weekend. Luckily they will cancel all the charges, credit my account accordingly, they are issuing me a new card w/ new numbers and I was told to destroy the current one.

My issue is that is the card I set up our on line account with. I called Celebrity and they said it is too close to my sail date to make any changes online and that I would have to do so at the pier. I was told it is a minimum of $250 per person including children. I dont remember this being a requirement last year when we did our cash account.

The card most certainly will not be here by Friday when we leave. So I will have to set up an online cash account. Since we have 2 rooms booked that is $1500 I will need to come up with. I hadnt even planned on spending half that much on the cruise.:eek::(

Has anyone had a situation like this happen? Anyone set up a cash account w/ in the past month or so who can offer advice or confirm/deny the minimum $250 pp cash deposit? I have no clue what I am going to do I dont have that kind of money right now w/ DH being out of work.

Sarah! Contact your credit card issuer ASAP and request that they FedEx your new card. You may need to explain your situation, but they should honor your request.

Betsy

Hey Sarah! I agree, contact your bank for the credit card. They should be able to overnight you a new one. Offer to pay for the rush fee if necessary.

You can also use a debit card. We've used that before with no holds placed on our account.

Someone else just asked the question about using cash for their onboard account and the answer was (posted yesterday):

I am not sure if the procedure is different for folks from outside the US but on my recent cruise I opted for CASH ONLY by indicating my choice in the online check-in that covers onboard expense account setup. Once at the ship I again informed the check-in representative that I would be doing CASH ONLY and after I boarded headed straight for the Guest Relations Desk. They allowed me a $500 credit limit WITHOUT putting any cash down at all, and politely reminded me that if I were to exceed that limit my account would be frozen until I put down cash to cover expenses. I settled my account the last night out before midnight with cash. Never once did I ever have to reference or show a credit or debit card.

You should not have any problems at all, but get the cc if you can just in case.

Good luck to you and have a wonderful cruise! No worries!!!

Another thread for similar answers. Everyone gets $500 credit and then settles up at the end of the cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1380779&highlight=cash+for+onboard+account

Sarah! Contact your credit card issuer ASAP and request that they FedEx your new card. You may need to explain your situation, but they should honor your request.

Betsy

Unfortunately they wont do that for me, I even offered to pay the fee to overnight it. The supervisor I spoke w/ wasnt very sympathetic to our situation, she simply said there wasnt anything they could do.

Hey Sarah! I agree, contact your bank for the credit card. They should be able to overnight you a new one. Offer to pay for the rush fee if necessary.

You can also use a debit card. We've used that before with no holds placed on our account.

Someone else just asked the question about using cash for their onboard account and the answer was (posted yesterday):

I am not sure if the procedure is different for folks from outside the US but on my recent cruise I opted for CASH ONLY by indicating my choice in the online check-in that covers onboard expense account setup. Once at the ship I again informed the check-in representative that I would be doing CASH ONLY and after I boarded headed straight for the Guest Relations Desk. They allowed me a $500 credit limit WITHOUT putting any cash down at all, and politely reminded me that if I were to exceed that limit my account would be frozen until I put down cash to cover expenses. I settled my account the last night out before midnight with cash. Never once did I ever have to reference or show a credit or debit card.

You should not have any problems at all, but get the cc if you can just in case.

Good luck to you and have a wonderful cruise! No worries!!!

Hey Kat! :hugs:

I just did a search and saw that post, I hope it is accurate. I wonder why I was told $250. I even had the TA contact them and this is what their response was:

Just spoke with Celebrity. You can change your election at the pier. You get blocked out of your online check in after 4 or 5 days before sailing.

Also, the actual cash deposit is made after you board the ship at the Guest Relations Desk. A minimum cash deposit of $250 per person is required including children. It used to be possible to block your children's account. Balance of cash is returned on last morning before you get off.

I so do not need this stress right now lol

Hey Kat! :hugs:

I just did a search and saw that post, I hope it is accurate. I wonder why I was told $250. I even had the TA contact them and this is what their response was:

Just spoke with Celebrity. You can change your election at the pier. You get blocked out of your online check in after 4 or 5 days before sailing.

Also, the actual cash deposit is made after you board the ship at the Guest Relations Desk. A minimum cash deposit of $250 per person is required including children. It used to be possible to block your children's account. Balance of cash is returned on last morning before you get off.

I so do not need this stress right now lol

Since I've found multiple posts of different people all reporting they got a $500 credit and settled up on the final evening (or if they went over the $500), I think you are running into another instance of Celebrity representatives not knowing what they are talking about, unfortunately. If you call multiple times you will sometimes get several different answers. From reading the threads it looks like that USED to be the policy, a $250 deposit, but not anymore. Maybe the representatives are not aware of the change? How did it work last year when you did your cash account? I'm sure you would have remembered if they charged you $250 pp as a deposit.

Sorry you had your card compromised. I have had this happen myself and it is a pain in the you know what to get it resolved. I've had this happen with credit and debit cards. If yours was a debit card your bank should be able to overnight to their local branch so you can get it right away.

Hugs back! Remember no worries. It will all work itself out.

Since I've found multiple posts of different people all reporting they got a $500 credit and settled up on the final evening (or if they went over the $500), I think you are running into another instance of Celebrity representatives not knowing what they are talking about, unfortunately. If you call multiple times you will sometimes get several different answers. From reading the threads it looks like that USED to be the policy, a $250 deposit, but not anymore. Maybe the representatives are not aware of the change? How did it work last year when you did your cash account? I'm sure you would have remembered if they charged you $250 pp as a deposit.

Sorry you had your card compromised. I have had this happen myself and it is a pain in the you know what to get it resolved. I've had this happen with credit and debit cards. If yours was a debit card your bank should be able to overnight to their local branch so you can get it right away.

Hugs back! Remember no worries. It will all work itself out.

Last year I just gave them $200. We actually got $ back the final morning because we only spent $60 or so. (we had $100 obc also)

Thanks, I am a nervous wreck! Traveling w/ 6 people is taking a toll on me lol it will be so nice to get on the boat and enjoy a pina colda lol

Wow, what a horrible thinig to have happen to you and at a horrible time.

Even though it isn't always pratical for everyone, it can be a good idea to have two different cards. If you are married, have one person carry each card. If you are not, leave one on board in the safe. This way if anything happens (compromised card, theft of a card, loss of card, etc.) you will have a backup card to use.

As an alternative to the cash method, see if it would be possible to get a new card from another bank delivered before you leave on your trip. Try some of the big card issuers like Bank ofAmerica , CapitolOne, Chase, etc. I believe they all have Express delivery available. Their interest rates and fees may be higher, so chose and use the card carefully. CapitolOne has some no annual fee, no international exchange fee cards, but the others may have cards that are better for you.

I'm the worlds worst for losing credit cards. And in addition to those cards, I've also had 2 cards compromised. I've always been able to do "expedited delivery". Sometimes I have to pay about $20 for the service and sometimes they do it for free.

I'd call and speak to someone in customer service again and go over their head. I've never heard of them NOT sending it expedited if you're willing to pay the fee. Maybe you just got a "supervisor" that got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Unfortunately they wont do that for me, I even offered to pay the fee to overnight it. The supervisor I spoke w/ wasnt very sympathetic to our situation, she simply said there wasnt anything they could do.

When you get home- change banks! That's ridiculous!

...What bighair said: Phone your credit card issuer and talk with another rep. If that doesn't work, ask to speak to his/her supervisor then the supervisor's supervisor. Continue, politely but firmly, going up the chain of command until someone says yes.

At the same time, apply for the Capitol One card, if that fits your needs. I'm guessing once you're approved they'll express a card to you.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Betsy

I'm so sorry you are having trouble this close to cruising. I have to agree with above posters, you should be able to expedite a new card immediately. We had ours stolen in Williamburg, Va. once and they overnighted us a new card to the hotel. If your credit card company is not willing to fix up immediately I'd find a new credit card company. They should always being willing to help in an emergency, they happen all the time! Good Luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

Archived