Raratonga

Cabal188

Ship anchors near town. There is a bit of shopping if you like. Raro pearls are cheaper than FP.

We took the flight excursion over the island which was just OK.

We rented a car and toured the island ourselves, stopping at several places to swim and sightsee, the highlight being Muri Lagoon. Car rental cost was reasonable, about $40-50 for 4 hours (this was in 2008) Very nice day. We didn't make reservations, and the rental place was a short distance from the pier.

We did the 4 x 4 excursion on Rarotonga and it was average at best. I would not recommend it. While not giving you what excursion to take I would say do not bother with this one.

Flight Medic,

Can you tell me why you would not recommend the 4 x 4 tour? Is there not enough to see? It was something we were considering as we thought it would be a good way to see the island.

Thanks.

We tried to book privately but the vendor was fully contracted with the ship. There were about 10 of us in each of two vehicles. The driver had a mic to speakers in the back but barely gave any commentary. We saw the other driver commonly slow down and point out flowers, buildings, etc and presumably gave some narration. Our driver remained mute.

We went up into the mountains/hills which was pretty but not spectacular. I would look for some beach or water activity if we went again.

Archived