Harv & Marv's "3 Big Steps"

Luckyroot

Taking my parents (both 80 yrs old) to Alaska in 4 weeks.

Mom really wants to go on a whale watching excursion, but has bad knees. Dad has neuropathy in his leg and can't walk long distances.

How big are the "3 big steps" on Harv & Marv's boats? I think they could both handle the 300 ft walk to/from the boat, but I'm just worried about the steps. Does anyone have pictures?

This is my mom's dream, to see Alaska, and I want to make it the trip of a lifetime.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Taking my parents (both 80 yrs old) to Alaska in 4 weeks.

Mom really wants to go on a whale watching excursion, but has bad knees. Dad has neuropathy in his leg and can't walk long distances.

How big are the "3 big steps" on Harv & Marv's boats? I think they could both handle the 300 ft walk to/from the boat, but I'm just worried about the steps. Does anyone have pictures?

This is my mom's dream, to see Alaska, and I want to make it the trip of a lifetime.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ruth...I would call them. I have a tour booked with them, and Danielle in the office was very nice.

Because of what Harv and Marv said on their website about the walk and the stairs, I did not call them. I called Orca and was told that the van drivers have a wheelchair in their van if my Mom felt she needed it....and the deck hands would be more than happy to help my Mom board the boat if needed. So we have a reservation with Orca...

becareful with the ramp, also. all the boats leave from auke bay. the tide can rise/fall a lot. the ramp can become quite steep (and wet). there are people around to help, but a wheelchair might be a good idea.

orca's boats are wheelchair able, wide doors, no steps. the inside has big windows and bench seats with plenty of room. one of the advantages of a larger boat.

After posting here, I realized I should probably check on the disabled travelers board, and found the same info there - that Orca is very handicapped friendly, so I've reached out to them for information.

Mindi, we're going to have to arrange to meet on board - because it seems we haven't been able to get a single excursion together! :)

Did you email or call Orca? If you sent an email, I would recommend that you give them a call. This is their off season still and they do not always reply to email in a timely manner. I have a reservation with them for our trip that leaves in 19 days (HAPPY DANCE!!!). I have talked to them 2-3 times on the phone and their office staff is very pleasant and informatative. If I remember correctly their office is open until 2 pm Alaska time.

After posting here, I realized I should probably check on the disabled travelers board, and found the same info there - that Orca is very handicapped friendly, so I've reached out to them for information.

Mindi, we're going to have to arrange to meet on board - because it seems we haven't been able to get a single excursion together! :)

We should definitely meet up for a drink Ruth! We should have ample time with 2 days of scenic cruising! :D

Did you email or call Orca? If you sent an email, I would recommend that you give them a call. This is their off season still and they do not always reply to email in a timely manner. I have a reservation with them for our trip that leaves in 19 days (HAPPY DANCE!!!). I have talked to them 2-3 times on the phone and their office staff is very pleasant and informatative. If I remember correctly their office is open until 2 pm Alaska time.

I did email yesterday, and have not heard back, so I will give them a call. Thanks for the heads up!

Enjoy your cruise!!

Both are excellent company but Orca is really more accessible. I would call each company for specific information.

Orca was able to help a very disabled friend of mine who reported an excellent experience.

I did email yesterday, and have not heard back, so I will give them a call. Thanks for the heads up!

Enjoy your cruise!!

It's best to follow up with a call. They try hard at Orca, but email just isn't what they do best. They are worth the call though.

I actually did receive a very detailed email this evening.

They provided a detailed description of the tour (plus tour options, such as Mendenhall drop off). The email explained how to make a deposit, cancellation policy, etc.

I'll be calling tomorrow to place deposit by phone (they suggested NOT emailing credit card info, which I also liked - it's just not safe!).

Thanks to everyone for the help provided!

Archived