Wedding Vow Renewal - can anyone share experiences or information?

Hi all -

We're cruising on the Explorer next month with my in-laws who will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. Has anyone ever used the wedding chapel to renew their vows?

How do you set it up?

How much does it cost?

Any experiences or pictures you can share?

Any other information you might have to share would be great.

Thanks - Jeanellen

I too, would be very interested in this info. We will be cruising in November 2012 for our 20th anniversary. Renewing our vows might be nice if it isn't too pricey.

We did a vow renewal on FOS a year a couple of years ago. We thought the RCI pricing was way out of line, so with the help of my TA, we planned everything ourselves and saved a bundle! We did a ceremony, had a small reception with drinks/snacks and then treated everyone to dinner in Portofinos. We had 20 sailing guests and everyone raved about how special it was.

DH and I surprised my parents for their 50th Wedding anniversary [on Explorer]. We did it through RCI. Yes, I agree, the price is exhorbetant, but without them I wouldnt have been able to orchestrate it and have someone perform the ceremony. Plus, my Dad coudlnt walk all the stairs to the chapel so we needed the chair lift.

The day we boarded DH and I had a message in our cabin to telephone the crew (I cant remember what her official title was, sorry) member and let her know we arrived so we could schedule a meeting to further discuss our expectations and what we needed. DH and I arranged a time to meet, explained it was a surprise (DD and I actually smuggled a gown out of my Mothers closet for this). It was only my parents and my family of 4. They supply a small bouquet of flowers for the Bride and boutinerrie for the Groom and I made small silk flower arrangements for me and DD and the boys (DH and Son). They provide a photographer the entrie time (& will then charge more then a fortune ($1,000) if you want them all. [note: we ended up paying $250 for 25 or 30 pictures I think. We felt they should have offerred better packages). The ceremony was performed by the Officer and she was wonderful. If you have your own vows, thats great, if not they have a bunch prepared. We used something prepared since my parents didnt know about this until we walked into their cabin with my mothers gown. We had told them to dress early and formal for special annivetrsary pictures with the captain (we actually did meet the Captain and have a private tour of the bridge 2 days later). After the ceremony we had champagne and strawberries up in the private room off of Viking Crown lounge.

We did a vow renewal on Adventure in 2001. We decided to not use an officiant, and had our own vows. We were allowed to use the chapel at no cost, and took our own pictures. We only had our immediate family in attendance ( 2 daughters, 1 son and daughter-in-law). We did arrange for a cake and champagne in afterwards. Can't remember if there was a charge for the cake - if so, it was very reasonable. Great memories for our family.

We were married on Explorer while in port in Bayonne.

It has almost been a year now, and I still have trouble looking at my photos because so much went wrong. If I could do it over again, I would not entrust my special day to them.

I wouldn't trust them for a vow renewal either.

Archived