Nice Hotels by Miami Airport or POM?

tassycatt

Booked the Hyatt Regency in downtown Miami last month. It was pretty nice, close to the port. Got it for under $100 on last minute travel dot com. Also post cruise we stayed at the Crown Plaza by the airport, the room was nice and so was the pool but I do not like airport location hotels, got this room for $75 on the same site.

Downtown Miami, close to POM, look at the Intercontinental, Hyatt, Doubletree and Marriott. Cab from MIA will run $25+ and another $10-12 to get to POM the next day.

Close to MIA look at hotels in the Blue Lagoon area (Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, Sofitel and others). Another good option is the Embassy Suites MIA. All offer free airport shuttles and a taxi to POM the next day will run under $30 including tip.

Miami Beach is the "Miami" you see on TV shows and in the movies -- it is a separate city from Miami, and the hotels there tend to be smaller and more expensive -- they also offer great dining, nightlife and a world class beach. A taxi to South Beach from MIA will run $32+ and another $15 cab will get you to POM.

Coconut Grove is another fun part of Miami you should consider, but it is not close to either MIA or POM.

Check out the FLA departure board for more info and good luck! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Booked the Hyatt Regency in downtown Miami last month. It was pretty nice, close to the port. Got it for under $100 on last minute travel dot com. Also post cruise we stayed at the Crown Plaza by the airport, the room was nice and so was the pool but I do not like airport location hotels, got this room for $75 on the same site.

I'm glad to hear that the room was okay at the Crown Plaza, they had mixed reviews on Tripadvisor. We are also staying here next month, I got the hotel essentially for free (It showed $95 on the website but I was able to use $50 of my credit card cashback which doubled for a giftcard to the site)...we are getting in at midnight so didn't want to go to far. I also liked that we would only need one cab since there is an airport shuttle. If we were getting in earlier we would stay closer to the port.

Last time we stayed at the Continental Bayside which was ok. The location was great since it was so close to the Bayside marketplace and the port. But the hotel was nothing to write home about...not exactly luxurious accomodations. I don't remember how much I paid - it was so long ago. :eek:

Marriott Biscayne Bay or Holiday Inn POM. Both good places.

I agree with Marriott. We stayed there last year. Our room had a bay view. It was beautiful and we were able to see the Saturday ships sail off from our room. The cab to POM was $7.00. We used SAS transport from the airport to hotel, then from POM to airport.

Last time we stayed at the Continental Bayside which was ok. The location was great since it was so close to the Bayside marketplace and the port. But the hotel was nothing to write home about...not exactly luxurious accomodations. I don't remember how much I paid - it was so long ago. :eek:

There is also the Inter-Continental down the street that most people are referring to, It is VERY nice. I know I read a post from someone that had to argue with the taxi driver about the hotel name when he tried to drop them off at the Continental & not the Inter-Continental where they were booked.

We did theHampton by Hilton Blue Lagoon. it is very reason able. Free shuttle to and from the airport. Shuttle to the POM is 10.00 one way.

It is close to shopping and restaurant and also includes a delicious continental breakfast. There is a pool and hot tub outside and the rooms are spacious and clean. I would stay there again anytime

any other suggestions out there?

We sailed out of Miami on 4/24 and stayed at the La Quinta (Airport East). We booked directly through the hotel; we actually didn't even make reservations in advance because we had an 18 hour drive to Miami and weren't sure if we could even make it in one stretch. We just walked in and got a room. It was very clean, they offer a free continental breakfast which includes hot waffles that you make yourself, free shuttle to the POM, and free parking for 7 nights. Keep in mind that the parking lot is not gated or secured or anything, but our car was perfectly fine when we returned. We really didn't want to pay for parking at the port. There is also a restaurant very close to the hotel, just a walk across the parking lot. We paid around $120 (including tax) for the one night.

Only two very minor issues with this hote: Be warned that if you are a light sleeper, you will hear airplanes taking off very frequently all night. Also, their front desk is understaffed and is usually ran by one very friendly and patient lady - so you will most likely have to wait in line for check-in, etc, but you can check out over the phone.

any other suggestions out there?

If you want to end up staying near the airport, I would say Embassy Suites for sure. Great rooms, free drinks, great breakfast. 10 dollar shuttle to port, free shuttle from airport. Nor close to much in the way of shopping or site seeing, but great for a relaxing night. We usually can snag it for uner $100, not in the high season.

nice but inexpensive? Any suggestions?

Near the Port of Miami, the Holiday Inn is one of the most affordable, also the Courtyard Downtown Miami and if you want something fancy, try the Intercontinental, Hyatt or Epic Hotel.

Near the MIA Airport: Sofitel, Homewood Suites, Embassy Suites, La Quinta, Springhill Suites...

Good Luck !

Archived