Alaska 2012 Help Needed!

We’ve been on two Regent cruises; one in Alaska on Mariner, being phenomenal, and the second in the Caribbean, on Voyager not being so great! We leave in 7 days on a 10 day Med. cruise on Mariner and we are very excited. This cruise will really determine our choice in our next adventure. After having an early Mother’s Day dinner tonight, since we will be in Rome on Sunday, we came to decide that an Alaskan cruise is in the near future for some celebration.

So, who do we cruise with for a 50th birthday celebration for my husband and 80th birthday celebration for my father in law that includes two 17 year olds, a 22 and 24 yr old and four other mature adults? Is Regent’s Navigator the answer? We’d like a smaller ship (less than 1000), balcony for adults at least, all inclusive (no signing chits or set dining room seating is ideal for the in-laws and us); luxury cruising is the first choice but not sure who else to look at other than SilverSea. In-laws and us have been to Alaska before, so really looking for various suggestions (i.e. everyone wants to do something different and no one is ever happy!). We live in CA so airfare to AK is not an issue. I would absolutely push for Regent since we are gold (other than the concierge program), but I want to make sure this is a fabulous trip and appropriate for all. Who do you think is the best fit? I will take advantage of the onboard booking agent while on Mariner next week, but wanted your input if you were to head to Alaska with your extended family in 2012 to celebrate two special occasions.

I would definitely do Regent for Alaska. There is plenty to keep all ages happy. Remember that during the day, you don't have to do the same excursions unless you want. So the younger crowd can do something totally different than the oldsters, have fun, and maybe everyone can meet up for dinner. I would love to do this, except my mom is 93 now and just too frail to travel.

That is a difficult answer due to the age differences. Although the younger group would love the PG, it may be difficult for someone 80 to be able to partake in onshore activities in Tahiti. On the other hand, there are a LOT of children on the Alaska cruises with no real programs for the 17-22 group. Although there are wonderful excursions, the evenings will be pretty quiet for this age group.

The late May Alaska cruises have very few school age children. The same holds true for the last week in August and the first week September. You do have choices -- I'd continue to do research into the excursions, etc. and see what will fit the entire family the best.

My sons,, now 20 and 25, have never found any trouble in finding things to do in the evenings. But they are very sociable. Often times, they get together with the entertainers (who are about their age). The youngest has made quite a name for himself at karaoke.

kbuck, I think the Navigator to Alaska would be perfect for a three generational family trip. I took my four on the Mariner (I had done it previously on the Navigator) when they were in their early to mid 20's several years ago, and all loved it. For your father in-law, you didn't mention whether he has any physical limitations, but there are so many "easy" excursions on this cruise, like the White Pass train, etc. For the youger ones, there's just tons of fun to be had! If my mother were still with me, no doubt this would have been a cruise I would have considered. It's nice to be able to have all the advantages of a smaller ship, and to end the day with a family dinner in Compass Rose to share the activities of the day.

Archived