Torn between Horseshoe (baby beach) vs Jobsen's Cove

Pandot

In bermuda for 3 days. Will be doing the south shore beachs on the last day.

Originally had planned for Jobsen's Cove as I will be travelling with my 2.5 year old however, it is our first time in bermuda I wonder if my husband and I really should see Horseshoe. (Will be visiting Shelly Bay (near BAMZ) and maybe a St George proximal beach on the other days).

Not worried about ammenities. We are not beach people for long periods of time, so only plan on spending a few hours in the morning at the beach.

My concern is my husband... he is a smoker (unfortunately) and does not tolerate walks in the heat well (shocker!). Horseshoe (particularly to get to baby beach) is more of a walk than Jobsen's Cove? How much more of walk?

Thanks for your opinions and information.

Andrea

In bermuda for 3 days. Will be doing the south shore beachs on the last day.

Originally had planned for Jobsen's Cove as I will be travelling with my 2.5 year old however, it is our first time in bermuda I wonder if my husband and I really should see Horseshoe. (Will be visiting Shelly Bay (near BAMZ) and maybe a St George proximal beach on the other days).

Not worried about ammenities. We are not beach people for long periods of time, so only plan on spending a few hours in the morning at the beach.

My concern is my husband... he is a smoker (unfortunately) and does not tolerate walks in the heat well (shocker!). Horseshoe (particularly to get to baby beach) is more of a walk than Jobsen's Cove? How much more of walk?

Andrea

I would say that the walk is about equal. Horseshoe Bay is an easy walk downhill but a steep climb back up, but you can hop on a shuttle bus to the top of the hill for a nominal fee and worth the small price. The major differences between Horseshoe and Warwick Long Bay (Jobson Cove is next to it) is that Horseshoe has nice amenities, re facilities, rentals and a snackbar. Jobson cove would be less crowded and less likely to have someone object to your husband's smoking.

We were not crazy about Shelley's Bay, decent beach and a nice playground but the facilities were not great at all. Out of the way and a long wait for the bus to get back. I would suggest Clearwater beach on St. Davids near St George. They have a special bus that goes to Clearwater but you have to get a seperate schedule from the information center. It is used to be limited to military personnel only and is a nice beach, trifle rocky in places so wear beach shoes or crocs. But has an awesome playground, a nice snack bar and decent facilities. If you are adventurous, go down the road to the entrance to Cooper Island, which is now a nature preserve. The gates open at 11 AM and there are tons of beaches along the way on both sides of the road. You can easily be alone, bring a lunch and have a private time if that is what you wish. Very few people seem to go there which is a shame as it is quite beautiful and unspoiled.

Of course if you prefer to stay near St. George, Tobacco bay is nice for kids, shallow water enclosed by reefs, facilities, rentals and a snack bar. Take a taxi though as the walk is quite a long one up some hills.

Tell your husband to stop smoking now. He has a 2 1/2 year old child and is out of shape all ready. What's going to happen in ten years when the kid wants to play ball. I was a smoker for 20 plus years, I have a 16 year old and quit 6 years ago. It was literally the best thing I did in my life:) I'll get off my pedestal now:D

If you load up my Map of Horseshoe Bay, then click "out" a couple clicks, you will see just how close Jobson's Cove (Google labels it Jobson's Bay) is to Horseshoe Bay.

Probably not walking distance, but very close.

Theron

TP I am guessing the the OP's original question was which was the shortest walk. From the top of Horseshoe to the beach and then to the Baby beach or Warwick Long Bay and then to Jobson's Cove. I kind of doubt that he would be interested in walking from Horseshoe to Jobson's Cove. That is doable and a wonderful walk but definitely an exertion. I have done those from Horseshoe bay in both directions and found the scenery and exercise just great.

At a leisurely pace it took a while, but I was not in a hurry and enjoyed just being on a walk on the beach in Bermuda

TPKeller wrote: ....you will see just how close Jobson's Cove (Google labels it Jobson's Bay) is to Horseshoe Bay.

Probably not walking distance, but very close......

The path distance from the start of the path at the northeast end of Horseshoe Bay to Jobson's Cove is approximately .5 miles. Very close, yes.

SBtS

TP I am guessing the the OP's original question was which was the shortest walk. From the top of Horseshoe to the beach and then to the Baby beach or Warwick Long Bay and then to Jobson's Cove. I kind of doubt that he would be interested in walking from Horseshoe to Jobson's Cove. That is doable and a wonderful walk but definitely an exertion. I have done those from Horseshoe bay in both directions and found the scenery and exercise just great.

At a leisurely pace it took a while, but I was not in a hurry and enjoyed just being on a walk on the beach in Bermuda

Ah, I see now. The answer (at least the "how much more" part) depends entirely on how close you get dropped off to the actual beach, which depends entirely on what mode of transportation you use to get there. (Bus, taxi or scooter!)

Theron

Andrea

If you take a cab, it will drop you off close to the beach.

He will be able to smoke all he wants on Horseshoe beach.

I apologize for my lack of clarity.

1. I am not looking for somewhere my husband can smoke - that's his problem. If he can't smoke, that is just too bad for him. (I have no sympathy - LOL). But his smoking does make him a wus when it comes to walking, particularly in the heat or uphill.

So... the distance question was - which is a shorter walk (and we will be on the bus) - Baby beach at Horseshoe or Jobsen's Cove at Warwick Long Bay. Thanks.

2. Amenities are nice, but not super important. It will be a short day and we can survive with the basic toilet.

3. I know that Shelly Bay is not the primo Bermuda beach, but is convenient to the BAMZ and will fit the needs of our 2.5 year old really well. Thanks for the input though.

4. As for the info in St Georges... much appreciated! Will look into those things.

5. As for hubby smoking - I have given up. We also have a 20 year old and a 16 year old (who will not be travelling with us on this cruise) and they are forever on his case... you think their pleas would make a difference but no... He is not allowed to smoke in the house, the car, around any of the kids. What he does to his body is his problem but I will not let him impact anyone else... including in public :)

Thanks again for all the input... keep it coming!

All the best and Happy Mother's Day to all the Mommies out there.

Andrea

I apologize for my lack of clarity.

So... the distance question was - which is a shorter walk (and we will be on the bus) - Baby beach at Horseshoe or Jobsen's Cove at Warwick Long Bay. Thanks.

Andrea

Horseshoe Bay is a good walk from the bus. It is downhill. Going back, you can get a ride up for about $2, which I would recommend.

Have not been to Jacobsen.

Archived