? Fly out of Newark or LGA???

jmwg49

I just need some advice from 'those in the know'!! We are sailing on the Miracle on 9/11, taking Via Rail/Amtrak from Toronto a couple days early. We are staying at a hotel near Central Park. My question is this...I have yet to book a flight home. We plan on putting our luggage at a storage place when we arrive back after the cruise and spending our last day exploring, and hoping to catch a late flight back to Toronto. My question is this, which airport is best to fly out of? Sometimes it is cheaper out of Newark, but is it economical to do so, given the distance difference...Newark versus Laguardia. The prices are fluctuating wildly right now, and I need to make a decision quickly I think!

You could really do either airport. LaGuardia may be easier because all you have to do is flag a cab and go - about $35+. However, if you store your luggage at Schwartz Travel, you are only 4 blocks from Port Authority where you can take the Newark Airport bus for $15/pp.

Airport distance may not be a big factor. If Manhattan and or Queens is congested, you could spend time stuck in traffic trying to get to LaGuardia. The airport bus should have some sort of priority access to the Lincoln Tunnel - once you are in NJ the traffic usually flows well on the NJ Turnpike to Newark Airport.

How long, approximately, on a late Monday afternoon would it take to get to Newark? LaGuardia? I know, we never know about traffic, but best estimation. If flight is about 8 pm, would we be safe to head to airport around 5?

Archived