Wifi in Europe

TomMMD

Wife & I will be taking a cruise late summer in Western Med with an iPhone & iPad (wifi) each.

Recommendations on an economical data package to keep those babies filled with data?

I've tried both Ipass and Boingo in the past and have never been able to get either one to work.

Off the ship there is free Wifi, you just have to look for it. Make sure your device has "Data Roaming" and "Phone Roaming" turned off, or your next three house payments are gone!

On ship, the rates wouldn't be to nice either, and nothing is free, except, in some cases, outgoing texts. The fee for data and voice will vary by cruiseline. Your Ipad will not be able to access the Internet for free on board ship.

Check with your carrier. Each has a package. I believe ATT is $20/month, for a huge amount of data. But don't quote me on that.

The Ipad is a little different, and can't give you prices. However, many people just load up their Ipad with books at home, and that keep them busy.

I also have several IPad2's. Both are WiFi only. There are no charges for connectivity unless you are in a hotel and specifically sign up for WiFi service on a secure network. IPad will work fine at any free WiFi location. Speed will be determined by the number of users accessing at the same time and the quality of the server supporting the site. Be wary of unsecured locations in terms of checking out your bank or credit card activity. In fact, unless the site is secure (requires a password) be leary. We usually download several movies and a couple of books before leaving the USA.

An IPad with 3G should be set at WiFi only to avoid carrier charges that might result from one or more of your apps trying to update itself.

Wife & I will be taking a cruise late summer in Western Med with an iPhone & iPad (wifi) each.

Recommendations on an economical data package to keep those babies filled with data?

I've tried both Ipass and Boingo in the past and have never been able to get either one to work.

Archived