Question, help please on minbars , insulin

Karma5

My DH has diabetes and is on insulin. We have sailed on RC and our room always :)had a minibar which was adequate enough for him to store his insulin in.

I am considering a 14 day cruise on the Eclipse , C1 or a C2 room.

When I called Celebrity this week I was told there were no minibars or coolers in these rooms. However I have read on CC that minibars exits and this is the best place to ask for advice.

Thank you in advance for all you help.:)

What probably happened is that the CSR who took your call punched the wrong word into the search engine and didn't come up with anything. The folks who answer the phone have generally never set foot on a cruise ship and don't know much from firsthand knowledge, so they just read what they see on their screen. Had you asked, "is there a small refrigerator" or "how can I store insulin" you might have gotten the correct answer -- yes there is a small refrigerator in your stateroom. It doesn't keep things terribly cold, it is more like a cooler. However, you can make it work more efficiently by opening nearby cabinet doors to disperse the heat from its motor..

And if that doesn't sound like enough, here is what the Celebrity website says:

Can I store insulin in the cabin?

Subject: Medical Inquiries

All staterooms onboard have a mini-bar in the stateroom for your use.

If you do not wish to use your stateroom min-bar, you may contact the medical infirmary for proper storage. You should fax your needs to Celebrity Special Services Dept. at 1-800-882-8292.

I know that there are a few true refrigerators on each ship that they can plug in for you and I had a friend who kept supplies down in the medical center in their fridge. Happy cruising -- you'll love Celebrity!

All S-Class staterooms do have mini-bars. Be advised that they are "coolers" rather than true refrigerators, so they keep things cooler than room temperature, but not as cold as a true refrigerator. I am not sure at what temperature insulin needs to be kept; if it has a narrow range, it may be prudent to contact the special needs department before you cruise for arrangements to be made to have something suitable for you placed in your stateroom. If the precise temperature is not that important, the mini-bar should do the trick.

All of the cabins have a mini bar refrigerator that you can store insulin. I have done it on all of my cruises. Besides most insulins do not need to be refrigerated if not over 30 days and the temperature does not go over the mid 80's. At least as I understand it. You can ask your pharmacist and/or read the insert that comes with the insulin.

Insulin can be kept at room temperature for thirty days after opening. My husband never put his in the refrigerator after he opened a bottle. You could also put it in the ice bucket supplied in your cabin.

Archived