ID for our Son while in port

Here is a question. Our son is going to be 1 yo when we cruise in july(his First). When we get off the ship, and try to get back on we will need his S&S card, do we need his passport as well or can i just get away with bringing his S & S card?

Thanks

On Carnival children under high school age (15 or 16 I think) don't need ID to board the ship. The only thing you need to bring when in port is his S&S card. I know some people take their passports with them into ports, just in case, it's not needed to return to the ship.

My advice is never to take your passport ashore no matter what your age. I believe the odds are greater that it will be lost or stolen than any benefit from taking it.

For the adults take another form of identification if Carnival requires that to return to the ship in port.

You should carry the shipboard cards for all family members with you as you need them to get off and back on the ship.

Keith

Thank you both.

I know I need the S&S cards while ashore, and usually we DON'T bring our passports while ashore, but like I orginially posted its our son's first cruise. I was curious and didn't know if I had to bring his ID, which is his passport while going to shore.

Thank you both again

The only way to get off and on the ship is with your room key/ship card.....you HAVE to bring the with you for every single person.

None of the Caribbean countries require a passport, and under 16 doesn't even need a picture ID.

You will be told if you do need a photo ID before going ashore (for coming back into the port area). However, all adults should always have ID on them anywhere!

Archived