Sapphire Princess, helpful tips, secrets, ideas, etc

2010_cruisers

As to NOt let some people ruin your cruise:

Just in case you are more leisurely patron (or maybe hae children with you) and - or do NOT have anywhere specifically to go when you reach your port...just beware that some people get a little stressed out and become a tish inconsiderate (at times) when they feel they hae to rush off the ship to get to their shore excursions.

Typically, if a group has an excursion first thing in the morning they usually are in the line fast.

This is what our friend had experienced before: " We wanted to get off the ship as fast as I could but it felt like some people started to push people off the gangway, actually no one fell in but we had several undesirables push us out of the way stating they had booked excursions so they should be off first"

** It is really smart to pack a small pack back to take things off the ship that you would need.

2 questions for you:

a) What did you do for ALL 4 cities (outings - shore excursions) - Did you get off in Victoria

b) Is there anything else you'd like to say or share that this TIP sheet needs

Let us know asap and thanks once again.

Don't have much time right now since I am back at work. :(

We did not get off the ship in Victoria, we live about an hour from Port Angeles in Washington so we can take the ferry there anytime.

Ketchikan - No excursions, just wanted to spend time walking around town, since this was the longest amount of time we have ever spent there. We did the Bering Sea Crab Fishermans Tour in 2009 - loved it! Great excursion! Spent time up at Creek Street (love this area) and checked out the town. Only port that we got rained on!

Juneau - Beautiful sunny day in the 70's...did the Taku Glacier Flight and Feast tour. It was amazing, best excursion we have ever done! :) The views from the float plane were awesome! Saw two bears at the lodge and 3 mountain goats on a side of a mountain on the flight back.

Skagway - rented a car and drove up into the Yukon and Emerald Lake. Beautiful drive, we have done this before and enjoy it every time. Plus you can stop whenever you like to take pictures.

The ship was spotless! :D Our steward, William, was great! I will write a review when I have more time!

Another option in Ketchikan is to take the local bus. You can buy a day pass and travel either way to totem parks. You will ride with the locals and make the stops, but it was worth it. No need to spend the extra bucks on excursions-save money for shopping.

Traveled on Sapphire in 2009 on Mexican Riveria.

We were on the Ruby last summer in the Greek Isles and retreated to the Lotus pool in the afternoon for some relaxation and quiet.

cal56girl,

Hi, thanks for posting - great stuff. Just curious what options u did ir liked about the other ports, and um...hae you looked over our tip sheet...if you have any comment or corrections or additions, let us know, thanks.

:)

Edited by 2010_cruisers

Here is the link to the local bus in Ketchikan. We took the bus to Totem Bight and had a great time just wandering among the totems at our own speed. http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/info.htm

If you take the bus the other way I believe you can get to Saxman. Just watch the schedules and times so that you do not miss the ship. (We had some people almost miss the ship when we were in the Greek Isles)

Ketchikan is also great for just wandering through. And of course there is plenty of shopping right at the port. I have no financial interest but there was a great Christmas shop in the center at the end and a fabric/quilt shop with lots of Alaskan type fabrics.

When my husband and I did a southbound cruise tour in 2007 we did the zipline excursion. While I was a bit hesitant at first, it was a blast. Expensive, but once in a lifetime.

In Skagway, we have taken the train up and down-ship excursion. And the second time-ship excursion (another cruise line) we took the train up and then rode a bus down and stopped at Liarsville-cheesy.

In Juneau, we have done the ship excursion to Juneau as well as on our own-can't put my finger on that info-but I believe I got it off the internet. Easy enough to buy tickets at port and then you are not tied to time constraints. Haven't done much else in Juneau, the first time there it was July 4 and the second time we were there from 2:30- 10:30 pm.

Hope this helps.

These ports are all very walkable.

this thread has helped a lot in preparing for the cruise. thanks!!!!:D

zeldalola, cool. You are welcome. Everyone is welcome. Thanks to all. This would be nothing without the many peoples contributions and I expect a ton of new items, later tonight ad tomorrow. Have a wicked trip and please come back tell us anything you wish and maybe write a review. Keep us posted, take care. Bon voyage! :):):)

Next to the Passenger Services desk there is a computer where you can swipe your key card and get a print out of your account statement -- any time! Good to check once or twice during the cruise.

Is this also true on the Diamond?

Thanks for letting me hijack your thread!

The Diamond and Sapphire are sister ships. We were on the Diamond first and the Sapphire second. Everything was in the same place.

Thanks for the info. Always like to check the account periodically and it's great to know I don't have to stand in line at the desk to ask for one. :D

I missed all these things on our 10 day cruise in February! SO We are some that don't qualify under the "all you do is eat!" button! Now I will have to cruise again and check out some of these suggestions.

How many and where are the laundry rooms on the Sapphire? Thank you!

I can see on the deck plans there looks to be 6 total.

Deck 5 port / forward next to P206

Deck 8 port/starboard / aft next to E61&E621

Deck 9 port/starboard / forward next to D222&D225

Deck 10 port/starboard / aft next to C612&C615

Deck 12 port /aft next to A610

Deck 12 starboard / aft next to A611

http://www.1mpages.com/SapphirePrincess/Laundry.html

Check out photo from this link!

I can see on the deck plans there looks to be 6 total.

Deck 5 port / forward next to P206

Deck 8 port/starboard / aft next to E61&E621

Deck 9 port/starboard / forward next to D222&D225

Deck 10 port/starboard / aft next to C612&C615

Deck 12 port /aft next to A610

Deck 12 starboard / aft next to A611

http://www.1mpages.com/SapphirePrincess/Laundry.html

Check out photo from this link!

Thank you!! Appreciate your info.

Which pools are heated or are at least warm enough to swim in while cruising Alaska?

There is a covered pool area right outside, midship of the Horizon Court Buffet. I would get there fairly early, though since on an Alaska cruise it may fill up pretty fast.

Enjoy the Sapphire. I love that ship!

We are going out of Seattle next week and I know how to dress when we are off ship, as weather looks like it is between 50-60 degrees and good chance of rain every place in Alaska-but what about when we are walking around inside the ship. Is it comfortable or will we need to wear light jackets during the day? Thank you.

* more feedback from friends about the Sapphire

Rick Regh 'The ship is layed out very well, it doesn't feel like there are a lot of people on board, even when the ship is full' and The food is great no matter where you eat. The staff is great and are always polite and courteous. The seem like they enjoy working on the Sapphire Princess.We did an Alaskan cruise on the Sapphire, the food is great and the staff is excellent.

Gayle Koontz 'My husband and I were on the sapphire last September bound for Hawaii. We had super service and super food. The lobster in the Crown grill was to die for...as was almost all of the food!'

Brenda Ann Novicki 'we did a Mexican riviera cruise a few months back and had an awesome time. They are very organized and treated us wonderful. We liked them better than carnival'

Cheryl Ralston I agree with Rick, it never felt crowded.

Karen Russell Have sailed twice on the Sapphire. Most recently this past May. Love the ship, the food was great and the staff was excellent for both sailings. We never had a bad experience.

She also adds:

Trying hard to come up with something not great...there are a lot of people, but you don't really seem to notice...maybe they need more lounge chairs pool side? That's about all I can think of at the moment.

What are people expecting from the dry dock next Spring? I don't sail on this lovely ship until next Sept, so, I'm reading this thread, but, won't start taking many notes until after people have sailed on the renovated ship.

Sailed on the Sapphire couple years ago and the sister ship the Diamond also, we loved both ships and the crews. We are booked on the Sapphire again in Nov -11 so am looking forward to spending more time on board the Sapphire.

And thanks to all for this thread, it just reminds me of all the little things I need to remember, have to print up the list and take it with me, just in case I have one of those senior moments and forget some good stuff :)

Cori

Edited by Cori