Sapphire Princess, helpful tips, secrets, ideas, etc

2010_cruisers

I have tried to find the answer to my question by using the search without success. I am trying to figure out if all Lido balconies at the front of the ship are covered or uncovered. Specifically L248. Trying to book a cabin for my son and wife and this will be their first cruise ever. I would want it to be covered, but need to look elsewhere if it is not..

Thanks for any information you can give me..

• 3 weeks later...
I have tried to find the answer to my question by using the search without success. I am trying to figure out if all Lido balconies at the front of the ship are covered or uncovered. Specifically L248. Trying to book a cabin for my son and wife and this will be their first cruise ever. I would want it to be covered, but need to look elsewhere if it is not..

Thanks for any information you can give me..

Hi teachergal...you have probably already booked by now...but we were midship on Baja Deck for Alaska in 2010 and the balconies were completely covered...the Lido deck looks at least partly covered.

As for motion on a cruise ship the lower decks have less motion as does mid ship...forward and aft get the most movement.

Hope this helps and isn't too late. Enjoy your cruise with your son and daughter-in-law.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi teachergal...you have probably already booked by now...but we were midship on Baja Deck for Alaska in 2010 and the balconies were completely covered...the Lido deck looks at least partly covered.

As for motion on a cruise ship the lower decks have less motion as does mid ship...forward and aft get the most movement.

Hope this helps and isn't too late. Enjoy your cruise with your son and daughter-in-law.

Thank you for your reply. I did end up booking a cabin on the Caribe deck. I was told that they are half covered and half open. We didn't get lucky enough to get midship, but did get a cabin toward the aft.

Thanks though..

• 9 months later...
Wow, great thread; lots of useful information! Does anyone know if the pub lunch is served during the new port-intensive California Coastal Itinerary? I think my DH would love that :)

The 7-day has a sea day up to SF and has the pub lunch that day.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

I seem to remember that this was the only day it was offered. I do not know what time your particular voyage arrives in San Francisco (ours was during Fleet Week so schedule was different.)!but make sure you are up on deck when the ship under the Golden Gate Bridge...unbelievable!!

Ah, so although we arrive in San Francisco at 1 o'clock, it's considered a sea day? Thanks so much -- we'll have to enjoy our pub lunch that day :)

I seem to remember that this was the only day it was offered. I do not know what time your particular voyage arrives in San Francisco (ours was during Fleet Week so schedule was different.)!but make sure you are up on deck when the ship under the Golden Gate Bridge...unbelievable!!

We arrive at 1 o'clock. I can't wait to see the Golden Gate from that angle!!

Hi, when I was on the Sapphire Princess last May, the last morning I didn't get breakfast. Is the International Dining room open the last moring of the cruise? Perhaps at the final dinner the night before the cruise is over, guess I could ask the waiter.

Virginia

Hi, when I was on the Sapphire Princess last May, the last morning I didn't get breakfast. Is the International Dining room open the last moring of the cruise?

Whatever dining room is used for breakfast during the cruise will be open on disembarkation day also, but with different hours, starting and ending earlier than the regular times.

Information about the hours that day is usually in the information sheet about disembarkation procedures.

• 11 months later...
Just bumping thread...leaving on Sapphire tomorrow for Mexico. Any last minute, up to date tips? Soooo excited, packing my over the door shoe organizer as we speak!

Do me a favor and post the Patters when you get back, I just booked today, brand new to Princess so I am lost!

Love this thread. I am sailing January 24th and there is a lot of good information on here.

Thanks

Candi

We're on that sailing too and this list of information is AMAZING and should prove to be very useful. Thanks for all of the work to put it together.

I didn't find them in the list, but may have missed them ... there have been some significant improvements on her ... Sorry if I just missed finding them...

Now available: :D

• Alfredo's full-service pizzeria
  • International Café
  • Vines Wine Bar

And Prego Pizzeria and Trident Grill are now open late (11 PMish)

Just look for someone with a larger camera, Canon or Nikkon, and ask them questions. You will find that professional or amatuers love to help budding photographers.

True generally ... But, just keep in mind that just because someone drops $$$ on a fancy camera ... it doesn't mean that they know anything about photography.

Nikon D5100 A DSLR Camera is generally much better than a camera phone or point and shoot. They handle low light situations well (great for interior dinner shots for example), take sharp pictures, and generally make it possible to capture all your fun! We're partial to Nikon, but this Canon is good as well: Canon EOS Rebel T3i

While true ...

• 80% or more of a fine photograph has nothing to do with the hardware used...
  • Many point and shoot cameras use the same GPU as their big brother DSLR...
  • If you don't have it with you .. you won't get the shot. 80%+ of what we shoot is with a camera phone because they are always with us and the SX40 isn't because it's too big to drag around all the time...
  • DSLRs have no real point except that you can get a better lens. In days of old with the SLR you could see what image would be sent to the film when the mirror flipped up. With digital cameras, you can see what is actually being received on the imaging media ... so what is the point of the mirror ? :confused: none. We love the histogram display feature.
  • Like days of old, lots of what makes a photograph special happens in the digital darkroom. Nothing like hearing Ansel describe the printing of something like Monolith, especially in person. Many GPUs when the camera is configured correctly take care of most if not all of that work when you push the button.
  • We like Kodachrome and so we set the preset for Vivid giving much of the richness of that film.
  • Many times the computer gets the exposure wrong so we generally have the exposure set to 1/3-2/3 stops under exposed (helps improve the shadows and protect the highlights that tend to get washed out).
  • HDR helps expand the dynamic range to better mimic the exposure latitude of real film.
  • Sometimes it is better to shoot video and then extract the frames you want as it can sometime better capture low light situation.
  • Could you imagine going on a week trip and shooting 100 rolls of real film :eek:

Back on Sapphire topic...

Some of our favorite photo spots...

• The sun setting behind the life ring on the promenade deck...
  • The public areas very late evening or very early morning when nearly everyone is in their cabin...
  • Looking out the front of the ship on Emerald as the sun sets/rises...
  • Looking aft from the promenade and terrace with the wake as we leave port...
  • From top of the wing looking aft/fwd as we sail into/out of port...

Any special photo spots we shouldn't miss on the Sapphire?

Edited by MauiLvrs