ipad - cell phone usage

winverdin

Hello all fellow Baltic cruisers - In the past we have used the ship's e-mail to stay in contact with home. In the documents that we just received, I see that it is now $3.95 per e-mail rather than the $2.00 we have paid in the past. Sending and receiving several times a day this will really add up!!

Wondering if i pad internet will work on board without a charge from the ship or ashore just sitting on a park bench? We checked with Apple and they told us to check with AT&T. They said they THINK so but I was hoping someone had experience with this. Thanks for your help!

Here's the deal:

You can get connectivity via wi-fi or 3G (ATT network). An iphone can do both, an ipad depends on which model you purchased. Base model does wi-fi only, upgrades can do 3G. Wi-fi on ship costs $$, wi-fi on shore depends on location, but can be free (your best bet). Using 3G abroad (data roaming) is big bucks, but you can get a minimal plan through ATT, for data "emergencies."

Assuming you have a 3G ATT version --- It is the same rate as for your iphone or any GSM smart phone.

• 20 MB of data for 30 days for $24.99
  • 50 MB of data for 30 days for $59.99
  • 100 MB of data for 30 days for $119.99
  • 200 MB of data for 30 days for $199.99

You have to set this up before you leave.

I don't think these rates are valid on the ship's provider (Cellular at Sea) - But only with the local country provider when docked.

Assuming you have a 3G ATT version --- It is the same rate as for your iphone or any GSM smart phone.

• 20 MB of data for 30 days for $24.99
  • 50 MB of data for 30 days for $59.99
  • 100 MB of data for 30 days for $119.99
  • 200 MB of data for 30 days for $199.99

You have to set this up before you leave.

I don't think these rates are valid on the ship's provider (Cellular at Sea) - But only with the local country provider when docked.

No, those rates definitely do not apply with the ship's provider. Also, be aware that those rates are not valid in every country. You can check on ATT's website. For example, they do not apply in Cambodia, which I learned the hard way.

Hello all fellow Baltic cruisers - In the past we have used the ship's e-mail to stay in contact with home. In the documents that we just received, I see that it is now $3.95 per e-mail rather than the $2.00 we have paid in the past. Sending and receiving several times a day this will really add up!!

It may not make a difference to you, but there is NO charge for incoming. So you can receive as many incoming as people want to send you at no charge. Your outgoing e-mail at $3.95 can be as long as you have patience to compose. With the cost of the per minute, and the dfficulty we often had when we were on the Marina, we'd have been better off to have forwarded our regular e-mail to our Oceania address and given our friends our shipboard e-mail. We had not paid attention to the change that incoming were free. There was a previous thread where a passenger indicated how you can forward regular e-mail accounts. Or, if it's just friends and family, you can give them your shipboard e-mail address knowing they can write as much as they want and you won't be charged. Also, I mentioned on a different thread, if you have Skype, it's great for phone calls with your Iphone . Happy cruising. We really enjoyed the Baltic.

We generally, once in port and before or after a tour, find a free wi fi location or buy an espresso in a cafe to get access. Then down load and send everything. The ship's services are well over our limit for telecommunications costs. It is not that we can't afford it but we refuse to be "taken advantage." If you see crew members leaving the ship with laptops or net books they generally head to the most inexpensive wi fi locations. (Hint, Hint)

Bill

Has anyone used text on Verizon... is it the same as AT&T?

.What did you all have the P H Butler do for you, besides bring in Fresh fruit?

Train from Dover to Heathrow? Is it easy enough to take luggage?

Make sure you turn off the wifi when you are on the ship. Otherwise you DO pay the ship's high roaming rates.

I'm a little confused how this will work. Please explain to me how you would be charged unless you sign up for the service. How do they know whose computer or phone it is? I'm pretty sure you can't connect to the WiFi without a code.

I think what you are wanting to turn off is the cell portion or 3g/E of your Ipad or Iphone. Hopefully a techie will step in here and clear this up.

What we did on our recent cruise with our cell phones and iPad was first turn off data roaming and then put them in airplane mode. This avoids any roaming charges or costs until you turn on what you want to use. We did not use the ship's system, which does require a log in. On shore we turned on wi fi and searched for free access which we often found in major cities. For limited contact the ship supplied email address is the way to go, free incoming messages and not too expensive for sending.

Regarding the question about Verizon (and Sprint), the frequencies they use are not as common as the ones AT&T, T-Mobile and Vodafone use around the world, so I would check with your carrier regarding the countries you are going to visit.

Archived