Jamaican jerk chicken

luv2zdworld

We will be cruising in Freedom on May 29th, and have decided we would like to try Jamaican jerk chicken when in Falmouth.

1. Is there a good restaurant/place in Falmouth to enjoy authentic Jamaican jerk chicken? or

2. Should we find our our way to Montego Bay to find a good jerk chicken place?, or

3. Is the jerk chicken lunch offered with the Chukka Beach Break the real thing?

If you find a good spot in Falmouth please let me know. I will be there in July.

The most popular places in Montego Bay are Scotchies and Pork Pit.

What "real" jamaican jerk consists of is debatable. There are as many variations in Jamaica as there are of barbecue in the states. The biggest difference in Jamaica is whether the meat (chicken in your case) is smoked or grilled. I believe most fans would say slow-cooked, smoked jerk is more authentic, but grilled is much more common. Both can be delicious or poorly flavored/cooked. I think the Chukka Beach Break jerk is grilled, but people still have nice things to say about it. Depends what kind of eater you are. If you're the type who's happy with baby back ribs from Chili's, you'll probably be fine with jerk chicken from Chukka.

I can't vouch for it, but there is a restaurant dedicated to jerk in the town right next to Falmouth. Big Flag Jerk Center. Maybe you can ask someone from RCI who has knowledge of the area if this spot is worth checking out.

Good luck, and if you find great jerk, please let us know about it!

Another vote for the Pork Pit if you get to MoBay. Went there a couple years ago, it's KILLER! And CHEAP! :D Plan on going back there next month. Can't wait. They have the biggest goldurn tree there you ever saw. Don't know what kind it is but it's a honker!

Have a great cruise!

JHC

here is the way to get the best jerk, no matter what port you visit in JA:

get in a taxi and offer the driver a $10 tip if they will take you to THEIR favorite jerk stand, wait and bring you back. Or offer to buy them lunch . . .

been to JA many times, Montego, Ocho, Kingston, Port Antonio ..... this never fails

btw - the most authentic and best jerk just may be jerked fish . . .

Authentic Jerk Chicken is smoked over a particular kind of wood-and for the life of me I can't remember the kind of wood. The idea of getting the driver to take you to his favorite is a really good suggestion. I could make two really good suggestions in Negril, but I'm afraid that won't be of much help on a cruise stop.

Juniper

More accurately, the wood of the Pimenta Dioica tree, which produces the berries that allspice comes from.

They say the best jerk comes from the region of Jamaica where this tree grows wild.

there's a jerk chicken stand inside gated falmouth port. beside the redstripe beer trailer. but it was bland and dry. if you do take the free shuttle to rose hall. there's a jerk chicken stand there beside the coffee shop. $1 more compare to the one at port but it was moist and very tasty!

while the smoke does impart a flavor the difference between smoked and jerk is the marinade/rub

http://www.mohotta.com/product/walkerswood-jerk-seasoning/Jamaican-Jerks-Rubs

335.jpg

This is where reasonable people can disagree. To me, it's not jerk if it's simply rubbed with "jerk spice". It needs to be marinated and preferably mopped with a mixture of spices, herbs, garlic, onion and, most importantly, allspice and fresh scotch bonnet peppers.

check the ingredients of the product shown as well as the recommendations for its use . . .

or were you intending to write an advertisement?

like BBQ sauces, tastes vary, but this product is as authentic as it gets, comes out of St Anne Jamacia

BJ,

I have no issue with Walkerswood at all. My issue is with places in the States that sprinkle products like Wakerswood (or, more commonly, inferior products) onto grilled chicken and call it "Jerk".

I have found that there are tourist-traps in Jamaica that aren't much better. For the uninitiated, I'm just pointing out that un-marinated chicken grilled over charcoal and rubbed with a spice mix wouldn't do it for me.

As you say, tastes vary, but I think the two of us would probably enjoy the same kind of jerk. I plan on using your cab driver tip when I'm in Falmouth in July.

go for it!

my "best jerk" was when my ship's agent took me about 5 miles out of town from Port Antonio and we were served a whole fish ... "jerked" .... and a couple of Dragon Stout's

yummmmmmmm

We went to Scotchie's in Ocho Rios, it was grilled, but they had the big logs under and over it, so maybe that is smoked not sure? They had pork and chicken, we tried both. Very very spicy, and kind of dry. A little disappointed. The flavor was good, but it was not moist. Cheap though, under $10 for lunch.

Another vote for the Pork Pit if you get to MoBay. Went there a couple years ago, it's KILLER! And CHEAP! :D Plan on going back there next month. Can't wait. They have the biggest goldurn tree there you ever saw. Don't know what kind it is but it's a honker!

Have a great cruise!

JHC

How much should you pay the taxi extra to stop and wait for you while you get your order at the Pork Pit? BTW, do you have to wait long for your order? How much is it for, let's say, an order of Jerk Pork?

We're going to Dr.'s Cave beach, shopping on the Hip Strip, but would love to stop at Pork Pit as well.

Thanks for any info you have.

How much should you pay the taxi extra to stop and wait for you while you get your order at the Pork Pit? BTW, do you have to wait long for your order? How much is it for, let's say, an order of Jerk Pork?

We're going to Dr.'s Cave beach, shopping on the Hip Strip, but would love to stop at Pork Pit as well.

Thanks for any info you have.

The Pork Pit is totally within walking distance of Doctor's Cave Beach. Cross the street and walk towards the port. It's maybe a couple of blocks. Sit under the giant tree and enjoy your lunch!

Archived