What is a category CA?

travelbug4

My husband and I will be going on our first HAL cruise in a couple of weeks and these boards have been Fabulous! I seem to be more addicted to this than Facebook! :)

Bear with me as I'm new to the lingo for HAL. We've taken the kids on three Disney cruises but HAL is new to us!

So we booked the least expensive inside guarantee (I think NN). We are still waiting for a cabin assignment but got an email about an upsell (I think that is what it's called) to a CA cabin for $149 a person. Problem is, I can't find CA on the deck plans in our cruise catalog for Maasdam. Anyone have any idea what a CA is? C is an ocean view but can't find CA on the map. THANKS!

Oh wow, that looks like a really nice room.

Is that slider out to a public deck? Can you see into the room from the deck or is it a one way glass? If you can see right in I might have to keep the curtains pulled all the time and then it would be like an inside cabin.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again! :)

That is a sliding glass door out to the deck -- there should also be 2 deck loungers there with "reserved" on them -- just for your use.

Lanai Staterooms

Lanai 2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, bathtub & shower. Sliding glass doors lead onto the walk-around Lower Promenade Deck. Approximately 181–256 sq. ft.

Room Amenities

• Direct access to the Lower Promenade Deck
  • Luxurious beds featuring Sealy® Premium Euro-Top mattresses and finely woven cotton linens
  • Deluxe waffle weave and terry cloth bathrobes for use during your voyage
  • 100% Egyptian cotton towels
  • Premium massage showerheads
  • 5X magnifying make-up mirrors and salon-quality hair dryers
  • Fragrant soaps, lotions, shampoo and other bath amenities from Elemis Aromapure
  • Complimentary fresh fruit on request
  • Elegant ice bucket and serving tray for in-stateroom beverages
  • Flat-panel TV and DVD player
  • Ice service, shoeshine service and nightly turndown service

...$149 a person.

I can't tell from OP's post if there will be more than 2 in the cabin on this cruise ("taken the kids on three Disney cruises but HAL is new to us") but this raises a question I've wondered about for a long time.

Is the upsell price for every person in the cabin or only the first 2? For instance, if 3rd & 4th pax sail for free, would they now have to pay the upgrade amount also? (Assumes upgraded cabin holds 4 people, of course).

When I looked at the deck plan, and saw an NN on the Zaandam, I wondered why you even select that category? I can't think of a worse place to be on a ship than the lowest deck right behind the anchor room and in front of the Infirmary? Perhaps you were expecting an upgrade???

The hubby and I are going sans children for our 10 year anniversary. On the Maasdam, Cat NN is up on the Verandah deck under the bridge and we actually like where it's located. So if they place us there, we'd be happy.

We think we're going to pass on the upsell and see where we land! I can't wait to find out!!!

Is the upsell price for every person in the cabin or only the first 2? For instance, if 3rd & 4th pax sail for free, would they now have to pay the upgrade amount also? (Assumes upgraded cabin holds 4 people, of course).

Really does not matter CA cabins only hold 2 people...

I wasn't referring to specific cabins. Does anyone know if there is an upsell offer from any cabin that holds more than 2 people to another cabin that holds more than 2 people, if the quoted price applies to all in the cabin or just the first 2?

Chances are great that you will not get an upgrade anywhere near as good as the CA you could have had for only $300. I really am surprised you didn't take it, but that of course is a personal decision. From a far-forward inside in the bow (roughest place on the ship in choppy waters) to a midship outside with your own personal space on Lower Prom for minimal $ is hard to turn down, plus there is no guarantee that any free upgrade at all will be to your liking.

Let us know where you end up and have a great cruise.

Oh no. Carol you are right. The deck plans on the website are different from the 2010/2011 brochure I have. There is only 1 cat NN on the new plans that I can find and that is on the lowest deck!

I may need to rethink the extra $300.

If we wait and let them assign us a cabin, is there a chance they could offer us another "upsell" again before the cruise?

Thank you for the anniversary wishes!!

Really does not matter CA cabins only hold 2 people, I had one and loved every minute, wish all HAL ships had them!

Glad to hear that you liked the CA cabin. We will be in one on the Maasdam May 28 sailing. We have only had Superior Verandah or Verandah on previous cruises so we are looking forward to trying something new. Also, without a private balcony we feel like it will force us to get out and do more on the ship! :)

Travelbug - Happy Anniversary! My husband and I will be celebrating out 9th anniversary on our upcoming Maasdam cruise.

Teri

Archived