Cruising with an Unknown

After 3 cruises, I have finally talked my family into going on one with me. We are looking at a few 5 day cruises in December of 2011. The problem is we have an unknown in the party. The for sures are me, my brother, my mom, and my dad. My brother wants to take his girlfriend but is unsure if they will still be dating in December.

We are looking at doing 2 rooms, 2 in one and 2, maybe 3 in the other. We are also looking at booking the early saver rate as it's the cheapest rate to go. What is the best method to book though?

Is it best to book with all 5 of us and if she doesn't go then pay the $50 fee and transfer it to my name on a future cruise (read on here they do that)?

Or best to book with 4 people, and if she goes then add her? Does that reset the rate to the current time for everyone in the room or just add the current 3rd person fee to the room? Is it hard to book a room with 2 that can be upgraded to 3? Seems when searching online the 2 person vs 3 person rooms are totally different and no rooms show up in both.

Thoughts?

If there is even a teensy bit of doubt that someone will back out do not book ES. Any other rate, if at the last minute someone backs out, for $50 you can change to another pax.

ES with its nonrefundable deposit and no name changes wouldnt be my first choice... pick another rate for the cabin that people are unsure.

the $50 fee is only BEFORE final payment. What if she backs out after final payment?? You are stuck. Plus dont forget the rest of the credit if she cancels out and you pay the $50 and do the faxed form and all that ... is only for a future cruise. It cant be applied to this one.

I would try and book two people into a triple and add the g/f later when she and your brother are sure she is going.

Personally - I would never book on "IFs" - why can he not just book a cruise and go himself this time. If they are together in the future then book a cruise themselves and not get a group of people involved in the booking and the chance of loosing money or a booking. I am always leery when someone is hesitant in booking a cruise because they may not be together - what does that say about their confidence in a relationship - I just would not even go there.

Personally - I would never book on "IFs" - why can he not just book a cruise and go himself this time. If they are together in the future then book a cruise themselves and not get a group of people involved in the booking and the chance of loosing money or a booking. I am always leery when someone is hesitant in booking a cruise because they may not be together - what does that say about their confidence in a relationship - I just would not even go there.

I'm with you but he doesn't get that. It started out as the four of us and then at dinner a week ago after she graduated college my mom said something about her being able to take care of our cats/dogs while on the trip. Supposedly later taht evening she said something to my brother who said something to my mom about her not going. So that's where we are now.

My dad is just trying to figure out how to play it out (I'll be doing all the booking though) and is willing to tell her we need X dollars up front. He wants to know if she goes she needs X amount and if she backs out or they break up, we need X amount before booking.

After 3 cruises, I have finally talked my family into going on one with me. We are looking at a few 5 day cruises in December of 2011. The problem is we have an unknown in the party. The for sures are me, my brother, my mom, and my dad. My brother wants to take his girlfriend but is unsure if they will still be dating in December.

We are looking at doing 2 rooms, 2 in one and 2, maybe 3 in the other. We are also looking at booking the early saver rate as it's the cheapest rate to go. What is the best method to book though?

Is it best to book with all 5 of us and if she doesn't go then pay the $50 fee and transfer it to my name on a future cruise (read on here they do that)?

Or best to book with 4 people, and if she goes then add her? Does that reset the rate to the current time for everyone in the room or just add the current 3rd person fee to the room? Is it hard to book a room with 2 that can be upgraded to 3? Seems when searching online the 2 person vs 3 person rooms are totally different and no rooms show up in both.

Thoughts?

Leave out the 5th person unless she forks out money upfront so it will be her loss. Not sure if a 2 person cabin can be converted to 3. If a cabin is a triple, and one cancels, I think there's a chance they may have to be reassigned another cabin if they need the cabin for 3 for someone else.

At this point, you are likely only dealing with deposits, not paying in full. Why would YOU want to PAY to get a cruise credit from someone elses cruise unless the dollar amount is substantial? (if it even can be done)

Archived