obstructed vs in-hull on QM2

britannia56

I really didn't like the deck 8 obstructed view balcony I had even though I had chosen well and it was a balcony between two lifeboats. The lifeboats were still there-big, orange and looming to the left and right. I much preferred the in hull balconies I've had - one on deck and one on deck 6- did not notice any noise from above in that one.

We have an ocean view coming up on QV IN Oct. I wanted some sunlight coming in. We had an obstructed view on HAL'S Zuiderdam as an upgrade last summer with a big orange lifeboat outside. The light was nice but the wife got a surprise when she walked out of the shower and saw a crew member working on the lifeboat while the curtains were open. I don't know if it was repairs or just regular maintenance but he had the manual out and spent most of the cruise working on it. Maybe he was hoping to get flashed by my wife again. We came back from a shore excursion one day and couldn't figure out what was missing at first until we realized that the lifeboat gone. They must have been testing the boat. We loved the view that day.

The best view that you can hope for with an obstructed view is a Zodiac RIB on the davits, much smaller that a lifeboat but still big enough to be a pain, easier to see over but you still can't see downwards. Take an in hull balcony and feel part of the ocean, wonderful.

thanks for all your input. it seems no one likes the obstructed 'view.' i thought perhaps it wouldn't matter much in mid-ocean, but it will when we get to nyc. although on previous crossings it seemed that everyone was out of their cabins and on the public decks.

we have decided to go with the guarantee A4 and hope for an upgrade. i wish i knew what i can do to influence cunard in our favor.:rolleyes:

thanks for all your input. it seems no one likes the obstructed 'view.' i thought perhaps it wouldn't matter much in mid-ocean, but it will when we get to nyc. although on previous crossings it seemed that everyone was out of their cabins and on the public decks.

we have decided to go with the guarantee A4 and hope for an upgrade. i wish i knew what i can do to influence cunard in our favor.:rolleyes:

I am one of those who prefer the obstructed view. I have had both - obstructed view and sheltered - and did not like the sheltered. However, that just shows that different passengers prefer different cabin categories. In my opinion, the best A4 cabins are 8013, 8014, 8109 and 8110. I have been in 8013 and 8014 and feel they both have a great view. At one time the A4 cabins were a lower B grade (I think B5 or B6??) than the sheltered. If you could get one with a view, it was a great bargain. At that time, they were very popular on these boards. Now the sheltered balconies are usually a better bargain.

Britannia 56, I think you have an excellent chance to get an upgrade with your A4 guarantee. Good luck!

Archived