obstructed vs in-hull on QM2

britannia56

on transatlantic, what are the pros/cons of the different categories. we have been offered an A4 on deck 8 or a B2 on deck 6. we shall be travelling on 29 aug. is there a disadvantage to having the life boats right outside the balcony. :)

Deck 6 is one below a busy public deck. The pro is you have easy access to facilities like the King's Court etc but a con is that, dependent on exact location you are below heavily used public spaces when you are trying to relax in your cabin. There are plenty of stories on various threads of being disturbed by the noise of joggers, items being shifted in Winter Garden/King's Court etc at night. This will not be a problem on 8. In hull cabins have a lot of fans on TA's. You can go outside and enjoy the view with fresh air with a degree of shelter from the wind. Personally I still prefer a non-hull even if obstructed but it's a matter of personal choice.

I am one of the fans of the in-hull balconies. I guess we've always been on 5, because I have no memory of overhead noises. Low and midships is a great location on a TA because you never know what the ocean is going to do.

I have not had an obstructed balcony cabin, but I've walked by from time to time and peeked in through doors left open while the steward was cleaning. the lifeboats are huge. And so very ORANGE. :eek: For my next cruise on QM2, choice was limited, in-hull or obstructed and I chose in-hull.

I have tried both types but not on a TA.

The obstructed view cabins are lighter and a little more open feeling, but unless you are lucky you can't see anything apart from sky.

The in-hull cabins are more closed in, but that's not a bad thing in the North Atlantic and darker, but you can stand and look at at the sea.

Given a choice I would go for an in-hull on 5 deck.

Hi I love the roooms with the hull balconies, if the weather's a bit dodgy you can still sit out there and get some fresh air. We always choose deck 4 perhaps it's because it's the first deck we did our TA on.

We also chose the same deck for the first leg of the world cruise we did earlier this year, again with the hull balcony.

Have fun.

In a "hull hole" cabin you cannot see the sea whilst seated on the balcony.

Moreover, travelling Eastwards I would opt for a starboard room, so that you are facing the sun, and vice-versa.

I would take an in hull any day over an obstructed cabin, deck 5 is great. Joggers on deck 7 start at about 6am and never stop. They are not supposed to run before 8, but they do.

First time on QM2, we're in an in hull on deck 6 just aft of the aft lifts. Will the noise be that bad? Are there that many joggers on the QM2? Enjoying your daily reports by the way.

Debbie and Tony

First time on QM2, we're in an in hull on deck 6 just aft of the aft lifts. Will the noise be that bad? Are there that many joggers on the QM2? Enjoying your daily reports by the way.

Debbie and Tony

Hi Debbie and Tony, Our first time on QM2 was in an in hull on deck 6 midships TA to New York. I can say we did not notice much noise from joggers above on deck 7.

I heard them a couple of times, did not bother us at all. Others will say differently. All I can tell you is our experience, TA's can be very windy, I did not sit out on the balcony but often did take a look out from time to time. Tony often stood out on the balcony. It was handy being just one deck away from Kings Court on deck 7.

I would not like a obstructed view cabin, some are more obstructed than other. Just depends on which cabin you are offered.

Catherine

Debbie and Tony

On this trip there are about 50 or so but only a few do the dawn run, most observe the curfew.

:) many thanks for all your insights. on several previous TA's we have been on deck 6. we loved the cabin and were never even aware of noise. perhaps because we are early risers.

deck 8 is also just one deck from the king's court.

at the moment we have an A4 guarantee. wish us luck for an upgrade.

I am booked for a Westbound TA, not till next October... (I know... I know... Keen as mustard...)

I did my research and found view pictures from 8014 which is the first A4 grade at the front on deck 8 on the Port side... I am pleased with what the view will be, not that there will be much to see on a TA, but I still wanted a glass balcony, and that was the cheapest option I could find...

Anyone on here experience of that stateroom? Or similar first and last A4 grade staterooms with minimal obstruction?

From what I can see, the obstruction affects only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the balcony length...

Thanks all,

T5LHR

:)

I am booked for a Westbound TA, not till next October... (I know... I know... Keen as mustard...)

I did my research and found view pictures from 8014 which is the first A4 grade at the front on deck 8 on the Port side... I am pleased with what the view will be, not that there will be much to see on a TA, but I still wanted a glass balcony, and that was the cheapest option I could find...

Anyone on here experience of that stateroom? Or similar first and last A4 grade staterooms with minimal obstruction?

From what I can see, the obstruction affects only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the balcony length...

Thanks all,

T5LHR

:)

You have a great cabin. 8013 and 8014 both have great views. I am a big fan of the obstructed view cabins on Deck 8 if you can get one that has a view. Enjoy!

We've done in-hull and regular (glass) on the QM2. For a T-A, we prefer the in-hull (which we have booked for our next crossing on Aug 29/11) because it's a much better value. We paid extra for the regular balcony last year for our July crossing, and the weather was foggy the entire way and we got little use of our balcony.

Never thought about getting on the sunny side of the ship, but that sounds like a good recommendation.

You have a great cabin. 8013 and 8014 both have great views. I am a big fan of the obstructed view cabins on Deck 8 if you can get one that has a view. Enjoy!

Thanks! I was hoping that would be the case! :D

I am sssooo excited about this TA Crossing... I can hardly contain myself sometimes!

Okay, this doesn't respond directly to the OP, but since others will possible view the post with similar questions, our first and so far only TA was in 639 (Ocean view Starboard) Eastbound. We loved the cabin. Yes it was below 7, but we hardly ever heard anyone up there. It is very close to the 'curve' at the forward end of the deck, so probably the joggers slowed to a walk to avoid any collisions. This also put us very close to the stairs and the exit to deck 7. Of course it was a looong walk to and from the Britannia Room, which sometimes meant that having enjoyed a wonderful dinner, our return journey would take us through Kings Court. Here we would eat yet more food (as did two of our table companions), but at least it meant that we walked off 20 or 30 calories. So all ye adversaries of deck 6, there are caveats.

P.S. WERE BACK! It has been a long 3 years.

Okay, this doesn't respond directly to the OP, but since others will possible view the post with similar questions, our first and so far only TA was in 639 ( Starboard Eastbound). We loved the cabin. Yes it was below 7, but we hardly ever heard anyone up there. It is very close to the 'curve' at the forward end of the deck, so probably the joggers slowed to a walk to avoid any collisions. This also put us very close to the stairs and the exit to deck 7. Of course it was a looong walk to and from the Brittania Room, which sometimes meant that having enjoyed a wonderful dinner, we would pass through Kings Court and eat yet more food (as did two of our table companions), but at least it meant that we walked off 20 or 30 calories. So all ye adversaries of deck 6, there are caveats.

P.S. WERE BACK! It has been a long 3 years.

Thanks! I was hoping that would be the case! :D

I am sssooo excited about this TA Crossing... I can hardly contain myself sometimes!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the Cunard forum. Is this your first voyage? If so, you have chosen a wonderful ship. One of the best things about a Cunard voyage is the anticipation. Most of us who post here want to learn as much as possible about the ship on which we will be sailing. Since you are new to this forum, have you read Pepper's excellent review of his crossing? Here is a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324 Be sure and look at his photos, also. There are other very good reviews on here. Read as much as you can.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to the Cunard forum. Is this your first voyage? If so, you have chosen a wonderful ship. One of the best things about a Cunard voyage is the anticipation. Most of us who post here want to learn as much as possible about the ship on which we will be sailing. Since you are new to this forum, have you read Pepper's excellent review of his crossing? Here is a link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=514324 Be sure and look at his photos, also. There are other very good reviews on here. Read as much as you can.

Hello Beth,

Thank you for the link. What an amazing read and the pictures are fantastic!

I am hooked!

Thanks again!

Archived