squirmy kid in a pullman bed -- what to do?

bus man

Next spring we will be sailing on the Disney Magic with our kids; DS will be 2 months shy of 6, and DD will be 3 months shy of 4. Both kids squirm all over the place in bed, and both have been known to fall out.

The room we're in has a sofabed and a pullman. We're figuring that DD would get the sofabed. But what about my squirmy son? How likely would it be that he could fall out of a pullman? And are there any other alternatives we could use? Can we take the mattress out of the pullman and put it on the floor? Any ideas, or tales of your own experiences, would be most welcome.

There is a railing that goes along the side of the bed, and I've been told that it is possible for them to put two railings next to each other so they basically cover the whole side of the bed. We found that one railing worked fine for my then 5yo boy. The only issue we had was him pushing his pillow off the end of the bed. Here's a picture of the bed w/ the railing (from a family oceanview room on the Magic.)

DSCN1311.jpg

The pull down bed has a max weight limit of 220 lbs., so if needed (although certainly not ideal), one adult might be able to sleep up there and your child can sleep in a regular bed. I think it would be hard to find free floor space for the mattress depending on the size of your room.

My DS fell out of bed for years. I often slept on the upper and we also sometimes used the mattress on the floor. We went with the 'better safe than sorry" solution. Since the kids are small, can't they share the sofa - perhaps after they fell asleep in separate beds?

My DS fell out of bed for years. I often slept on the upper and we also sometimes used the mattress on the floor. We went with the 'better safe than sorry" solution. Since the kids are small, can't they share the sofa - perhaps after they fell asleep in separate beds?

Well, yes, they're small enough that they'd fit on the sofa together. Trouble is, they would immediately start squirming into each other, and we'd hear nothing but "she touched me!" and "he touched me first!" all night long! :eek:

I thought about using the pullman myself, but I'm a fairly big guy, and I'm not sure I'd fit. Thus far, I'm thinking that putting the mattress on the floor is the way to go, space constraints notwithstanding.

My kids were squirmy when they were little but there is something about the slight vibration of sailing ship that gave them some of the best nights' sleep. I was nervous about the pullman the first time but once I saw the kids were sleeping so abnormaly soundly it all worked out.

Next spring we will be sailing on the Disney Magic with our kids; DS will be 2 months shy of 6, and DD will be 3 months shy of 4. Both kids squirm all over the place in bed, and both have been known to fall out.

The room we're in has a sofabed and a pullman. We're figuring that DD would get the sofabed. But what about my squirmy son? How likely would it be that he could fall out of a pullman? And are there any other alternatives we could use? Can we take the mattress out of the pullman and put it on the floor? Any ideas, or tales of your own experiences, would be most welcome.

Have the beds made up as twins. Let the squirmy child sleep in one of those beds and one of the adults sleep in the pullman.

Our 2 year old will be sleeping in the cabin with my parents some nights. They will have a king bed & sofa only. Don't know how I feel about putting him on the sofa bed. It's not high off the ground but still nervous about him falling off. What have others done in this situation?

I've heard of people putting the ladder along the side of the bed to create a really good railing. I'm assuming they tucked it right down between the mattress and the existing raily. Also, I know some people use cafeteria trays. My son fell off his upper pulldown bed on Carnival but in looking back at the pictures I can see that the railing used on that particular ship was much different than on previous cruises b/c it had a huge gap from the mattress to the top of the railing.

Our 2 year old will be sleeping in the cabin with my parents some nights. They will have a king bed & sofa only. Don't know how I feel about putting him on the sofa bed. It's not high off the ground but still nervous about him falling off. What have others done in this situation?

Have them turn the sofa around so it is facing the wall. That way, you have it enclosed on all four sides and should be very safe for a 2 year old (who doesn't need the full opened sofabed).

Our daughter rolls a lot too at night. I was worried sick the first night because our cabin didn't have a sofa bed. Our steward brought us an extra bed rail which was much taller and longer than the one on the bed. Our friends asked for one the second night and they were all out. Ask early and this may help.

I don't think our daughter moved the entire night on our last Disney Cruise. She slept very well from having so much fun.

Great idea to use the ladder as a bed rail! Who would have thought!

Or I also vote for the mattress on the floor. Just let your steward know what you are comfortable with and they will make the bed up for you.

Archived