AMA in Vienna--how to get from dock to downtown

RachelG

We are to arrive in Vienna at 6:30 pm according to the schedule. We have friends in Vienna that we are wanting to meet for dinner. So a couple of questions: What time should we be able to get off the boat? How to get from the dock to downtown (Ringstrausse area) and how long does it take? Need to know so we can figure when and where to meet and make dinner reservations. This is the same night that they have the optional Mozart/Strauss concert--husband is definitely NOT interested in that, so it is perfect for meeting our friends.

You need to know that there are two areas where they dock the ships in Vienna. I did a ton of research on how to get back to the ship from Schonbrunn palace, only to find that where I thought we would be docked was nowhere near where we were actually docked. I don't know if you can find out in advance where they will be located.

OK, I may just have to figure it out when I get there. Same thing happened to us on a cruise that stopped in Helsinki. I had researched how to get downtown, etc, only to find the morning we arrived that we docked at a totally different place.

Hi,

I was on the AmaLyra in Vienna last month. They actually have a shuttle bus that goes from the ship to the downtown area. I apologize as I can not remember the name of the Strasse (Square) they drop you off at but it has a McDonald's and a Starbucks on either corner and is walking distance down a street to ST. Stephen's Church.

If they are doing the concert that night they will have the shuttles leaving early. Everybody dines late in Vienna so I would say they should look at making a reservation for 7:45pm. They can meet you at the drop-off point. Alternativly, you can ask the cruise director to call a taxi for you. The shuttle is free though.

You will love the cruise.

Cruisr

We docked along the Danube (Donau) on Handelskai, the promenade that runs along the river. It is nice to walk along the river and there is a neat church and park nearby. The U1 subway stop is Vorgartenstrasse, which is exactly 4 stops from Stephensplatz right in the center of downtown Vienna (about 15 min). However the U-bahn entrance (Vorgartenstasse) is a healthy 20 min walk away from the dock. If you are city people or well-traveled, this will be a piece of cake, and is cheap and efficient. When you get your cruise documents, they will list where you will be docking. Most river cruise lines dock at this location. If you email AMA and give them your booking number, they will give you the information if they know it. And, in my experience, they usually arrive early, and if you're not on a tour, you could theoretically disembark earlier than 6:30 or as soon as they dock. That's what I love about river cruising!

Archived