Shopping for Alaskan made items

gavavemom

We were on an Alaskan cruise in '08 and found in Skagway a shop that sell Handmade Christmas ornaments that are unique.

You could also purchase an Ulu, it's a knife w/cutting board. We went to the shop in Anchorage a few years ago where they are made. You can find them in most of the shops, just make sure you get one that says made in Alaska as they also have cheaper knockoffs. It's great for chopping veggies, I use it all the time and brought one for a gift..

Make sure you bring it home in your checked bag

FYI

Look for a little sticker/sign in the window of shops that will say "Alaskan owned, Alaskan made". THOSE are the places you want to take your business.

otherwise most of the souvenir type items are "made in China".

BYW - its very hard to find a Ulu knife that is not made in China! I tried, my son is a Chef, so I was looking for him and FINALLY found one. ;)

Enjoy Alaska, Its beautiful!

Melody:D

I am also looking for a Ulu knife,

can you tell me where you found the real one?(made in Alaska)

We have never seen such a knife in the Netherlands

and want to buy one for our son.

I am also looking for a Ulu knife,

can you tell me where you found the real one?(made in Alaska)

We have never seen such a knife in the Netherlands

and want to buy one for our son.

All items will be marked "somewhere" on the item with "made in xxx" - you just have to look for it. Real Ulu knives are much more expensive than the knock-offs.

Google "The Ulu Factory" in Anchorage. Order on-line, have them shipped to your home. Guaranteed Made in Alaska, great selection and quality product. Something in every price range. If you have it shipped to your home, no worries about taking up space (and weight!) in your luggage. We use ours every single day and they make great gifts.

• 2 weeks later...
Hate tacky souvenir shops. We will have some time in Juneau, Skagway & Anchorage. Does anyone have any suggestions?
By far the best source of high-quality native crafts is the gift shop at the Alaska Native Medical Center in Anchorage. Limited hours, and not downtown, but well worth the trip. While you're there, look as if you belong and walk through the halls to see some of the artwork and crafts on display - IMO the best in the state.

http://www.anthctoday.org/hospital/index.html

I noticed there appears to be 2 differend handle styles on the ulu knives. Can anyone tell me is there is a big difference with them and if they have a preference. I will probably have to try them out and see which has a better hand-feel.

there are all different types of handles and sizes of the Ulu knives...If you are in Anchorage, take the free shuttle from the visitors center to the factory. You can watch them being made. They are great knives..they also come in different sizes.....and while you are at the Ulu factory go see Dallas Seavey's Iditaride show...It is practically next door.

I noticed there appears to be 2 differend handle styles on the ulu knives. Can anyone tell me is there is a big difference with them and if they have a preference. I will probably have to try them out and see which has a better hand-feel.

When I was at the Ulu Factory, the demo guys said the handle with the the hole in it allows you have better control. I bought that style with a bear imprint on it with the board. Haven't tried it out yet, but looking forward to chopping herbs and nuts with it in the bowl.

When I was at the Ulu Factory, the demo guys said the handle with the the hole in it allows you have better control. I bought that style with a bear imprint on it with the board. Haven't tried it out yet, but looking forward to chopping herbs and nuts with it in the bowl.

That's exactly what I was thinking about that handle style. Thanks!!

A VERY, VERY made in Alaska and really only available in Alaska item are the scarves and hats made from quivit, the very, very fine underhair from muskox.

Not cheap, but absolutely gorgeous. Sooo very very soft (makes my South American cashmere and alpaca look like horsehair). Downtown Anchorage.

http://www.qiviut.com/index.cfm

Large pieces of untouched baleen (the bone inside baleen whales) is also another truly Alaskan unusual souvenir. Available at better shops all over Alaska. I have mine standing in a floor vase after removing all the "puffy" pampas grass and peacock feathers. Looks simple great and reminds me of Alaska every time I walk into the living room. Natives also use baleen to make baskets and for carving.

There are also various long grass baskets which are pretty darn spiffy. I have a couple with beaver and wolf fur on them that I found in Wiseman Alaska. I am sure they are probably sold at better shops that specialize in Native Alaska crafts.

a ray troll t-shirt, etc. ketchikan artist. some of the humor may be obscure. http://store.trollart.com/home.php

this is on the north end of the creek street mall. soho gallery is in the salmon colored building. do not go into the blue building unless you have a need for bad chinese food.

in juneau, a cloisonné pin from http://wmspear.com/

affordable and portable, even some of of ray troll's work

If you happen to be in Anchorage on Saturday make sure you go to the Saturday market - you will be overwhelmed with local artists - I bought a handmade ulu - one of the best things I've ever bought in my travels. There is amazing artwork, craftwork and local food. Wish I could go back SOON!

If you happen to be in Anchorage on Saturday make sure you go to the Saturday market - you will be overwhelmed with local artists - I bought a handmade ulu - one of the best things I've ever bought in my travels. There is amazing artwork, craftwork and local food. Wish I could go back SOON!

Can you tell me where the Saturday market is held?

Thanks in advance

Barbara

A VERY, VERY made in Alaska and really only available in Alaska item are the scarves and hats made from quivit, the very, very fine underhair from muskox.

Not cheap, but absolutely gorgeous. Sooo very very soft (makes my South American cashmere and alpaca look like horsehair). Downtown Anchorage.

Large pieces of untouched baleen (the bone inside baleen whales) is also another truly Alaskan unusual souvenir. Available at better shops all over Alaska. I have mine standing in a floor vase after removing all the "puffy" pampas grass and peacock feathers. Looks simple great and reminds me of Alaska every time I walk into the living room. Natives also use baleen to make baskets and for carving.

There are also various long grass baskets which are pretty darn spiffy. I have a couple with beaver and wolf fur on them that I found in Wiseman Alaska. I am sure they are probably sold at better shops that specialize in Native Alaska crafts.

Baleen baskets: I collect baskets, but (sigh) the price of these beautiful baskets is out of my collecting budget.

Does anyone know of local art galleries in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, that feature baleen used in multiple media baskets (fur, etc), made by local artists?

Also, maybe just the raw piece of baleen?

Hate tacky souvenir shops. We will have some time in Juneau, Skagway & Anchorage. Does anyone have any suggestions?

If you are walking from downtown Juneau toward the governor's mansion (which actually faces the wrong way to see Russia, but I digress) there is a good art gallery. I can't find it on a map, but it is near the local history museum and the State Capitol building and is on the main floor of an office building.

Viv

I got a kit for knitting quivit mittens from Alaska. They are the warmest mittens, really nice! Definitely not cheap though.

Archived