NCL 3rd and 4th passenger Villa pricing

EE from NJ

Hello-

Just HAPPILY booked this cruise for some R&R. I've been on Pearl and Gem for longer cruises and the Jewel for a one nighter out of NYC. We are getting a Family Villa because it is my 30th wedding anniversary and I am certain it will be fun. We are trying to figure out the best way to book my adult daughter and her friend. Seems if we put them in our Villa it will actually be more than booking an inside cabin for her. If anyone out there has seen the Villa's....the second bedroom is much smaller than an inside cabins. This pricing makes no sense since my husband is spending thousands on our booking. Has anyone experienced this price structure? It seems like it changed a bit once before we did a Villa on the Pearl and the 3 and 4 passengers a couple years ago were about 500 per person. I would appreciate any insight you'all can provide on Villa's or suggestions on how I should proceed. Actually very disappointed that NCL would not match the inside passenger amount for 3rd and 4th in room. We sailed NCL about 9 times....if they dont come through with a good resolution....may need to stick with RC (my other fav). Funny though - I know I don't have to rush because no matter what I can put her in our room and the weekend we are leaving on 6/18 on the Jewel the Gem is also sailing out of NYC on 6/19. So I doubt the Jewel will fill up.

Looking forward to seeing other Cruise Critics on this cruise ... hopefully I will be smiling about this topic by then!

EE from NJ

eE -

I am having trouble understanding what you are unhappy about? Is it that the cost of 2 extra in your villa is more than if you booked them their own inside cabin? Pls explain?

Exactly what is bugging me. The inside (their own cabin) will be cheaper than squeezing them in a smaller bedroom. And I know the service thing etc however the first two passengers are costing over 7000 so I'm guessing that covers the fruitplates the butler will deliver. I think it is also the principle. We have sailed NCL 9 times or so and have leaned towards using NCL everytime we can however when we called NCL call center my husband did not feel "valued or rewarded". In fact, haven't figured out what what is so great about their frequent cruiser program. Oh well .... any insight on pricing for 3rd and 4th guest or who I should speak to air my opinions will be appreciated! BTW - when you respond if you can share any Villa insight in general it will be valued :-)

One thing you need to consider. If you have your daughter and friend in the second bedroom they qualify for the suite benefits. Cagneys for breakfast and lunch, VIP embark and disembark etc. If they are in an inside cabin you would have to try to see if the concierge would let them in as your guest. Apparently the feeling on Cruise Critic is that is a bad thing to do. :(

Donna

Ok, I get it now. You feel that you have already paid a premium and the next 2 should be nominal, right?

Have you actually considered the HUGE differences? In an inside NO balcony. Villa, balcony PLUS courtyard. In an inside, no VIP boarding, tendering, no butler, no concierge, no Cagney's breakfast/lunch, no reserved seating in theater, no early entrance to chocolate buffet, no reservation leeway for specialty dining, no ensuite dining, no DVD library, no premium toiletries, no invite to VIP cocktail party... And no fruit or whatever plate.

Basically, they would be receiving so much more.

What's the difference in price?

I really can't see where NCL loyalty enters into this at all and basically just about all call centers in all businesses are poor these days.

I think you should include them in the villa and just have a wonderful time.

BTW, I travelled with family and I was in a suite and my cousin wasn't. It was awkward at times because we had perks. We did not want to impose on the concierge so we never asked for any leeway. But it would have been great to all be together. Please do yourself a favor and do not leave it to chance and all go in the villa together. (We were on the Sun which did not have any 2 bedroom suites do we did not have the option you do.)

Hope it all works out, I really do. Happy Anniversary.

What is the price difference between booking the inside or adding them to the courtyard? Personally I would think it would be crazy:eek: to think that it wouldn't cost more to have a courtyard villa. Yes, the extra room where they would sleep is smaller but then they share the huge amount of extra room in the living/dining area as well as the balcony. Then with all the perks of a suite plus access to the beautiful courtyard and sun deck!:D

Happy 30th Anniversary! :D

We're booked in a CY villa next month and I'm not happy that it doesn't include free alcohol like the OS, which costs the same as a CY villa, but I'm not going to get upset about it. I'm looking forward to a terrific cruise with my family

There are 2 family villas on the jewel. With your description of amenities, I’d have to assume you are speaking about an SC w/o the courtyard. If this is the case for the difference in money I would definitely book your daughter and her friend in an inside cabin. With the money you save you can certainly tip your butler extra for a couple of possible inroom meals that you may have together in your suite, they can all still enjoy your balcony and if you are booking both cabins they can embark with you through VIP, you can book the specialty restaurants for dinner for all of you if you wish to do that earlier than regular cabins. And since these sound like adults I'm sure you can breakfast and lunch at Cagneys if you wish on your own some days and just have dinner together. They'll probably be doing their own thing 1/2 the time anyway, I'm sure you don't intend to spend every minute together.

OP I really don’t think this has anything to do with loyality. You can change cruise lines if you wish but since you have options that are more in your favour (cost wise), I think that would be silly. Especially since I think your daughter and her friend would be much happier on an inside cabin than the extra bedroom in yours.

What is the price difference between booking the inside or adding them to the courtyard? Personally I would think it would be crazy:eek: to think that it wouldn't cost more to have a courtyard villa. Yes, the extra room where they would sleep is smaller but then they share the huge amount of extra room in the living/dining area as well as the balcony. Then with all the perks of a suite plus access to the beautiful courtyard and sun deck!:D

Happy 30th Anniversary! :D

OP never said it was a CV, they said family villa, there are 2 on the jewel Deck 11 and Deck 14. One with courtyard, one without.

Wow, I totally understand your issue. I was wondering when NCL was going to start raising the prices on the extra passengers in a room--especially in villas and suites where there are so many amenities. I was actually stunned to see what the prices are on that cruise for the extra person--at first I didn't understand your concern but I went in to look at the prices and I see what you mean. Typically extra passenger prices are $300-$400 per person--on that cruise I see that it is about $1279. This is really not in line with the way pricing has gone in the past. Incidentally, when you get to the cheaper cabins it is MORE bizarre--an inside I think it was 879 for the first two passengers and then 899 for any extra--I actually have never seen the price get HIGHER for extra passengers. So it is not just an increase related to the extra amenities in cruises/villas.

For example, the ship leaving from New York (The Gem) that same week-end has the same 2 bedroom family villa (on the 14th)--and the price for an extra person in the room is maybe $399. (Okay maybe I am crazy but when I went back to check my facts this figure had risen to $749--still a LOT better tham the $1279--but it's early and maybe I am crazy!)

I would suggest that the OP consider going to BERMUDA-- put everyone on the two bedroom villa and save a lot of money.LOL

I am wondering if this is a mistake on pricing for the extra passengers, or is it an experiment?? I am very surprised not to have seen anything about this before.

Point of reference--we got that same 2 bedroom family suite on the Jewel (not the villa one on the 14th--but the regular suite on the 11th)--we put our four kids with us for $99 each as they were having a sale on the extra passengers. Obviously that was a fantastic deal for us and a fantastic vacation.

I have felt that the extra passenger pricing for the villas and suites is one of the best deals and least considered deals going with NCL--my initial impression reading this was that they were going to adjust pricing for the amenity situations (suites and villas) which honestly, I totally understand. But my reaction to this is that it is extreme--and these price increases are not only related to the suites and villas.

Wondering what price the OP initially was speaking about regarding the extra passengers.

I am wondering if this is a mistake on pricing for the extra passengers, or is it an experiment?? I am very surprised not to have seen anything about this before.

(Incidentally--even while writing this I went back to check prices on the extra passengers--and unless I am crazy (which I could be)--and it initially said $1700 for the extra passengers in the 2 family villa. But it's early, and now it doesn't say that, so I went back and changed my post--but something seems really odd.)

I am really wondering what price the OP initially was speaking about regarding the extra passengers.

I only travel with DH so I can't speak about what prices for 3rd and 4th passengers were in the past. But the price stated on NCL now seems a little out of the ballpark really. What I found odd was 3rd & 4th pax for deck 11 & 14 were both $1259/p. Deck 14 you have the use of the courtyard extra you would think it would be higher than 11. So it's not about the extras.

If the OP is on deck 11 then really except for her family not being able to partake in breakfast & lunch at Cagneys, the slight perks they would miss to me wouldn't be worth the extra $700-$800 over what they would pay for inside. JMO

Thanks for sharing here are some answers...

* The price is double that of an inside which seemed excessive

* It is true that my daughter will probably not be hanging around with us all day/night which is probably part of my inside cabin thought - plus possible extra room to spread out the girls clothes, makeup, clothes and more clothes, etc

* I bring up loyalty because I am questioning the program and thought I would state that on this chat board - I really don't see where Latitudes gets us much of anything but an extra cocktail party on board -We never get any special pricing - it's always cheaper to go with a travel agent than through NCL and that feels wrong but perhaps the cruise industry customer service programs are just built differently - I belong to other loyalty programs near home which truly make you feel valued and special with extra discounts and great customer service perks sneak preview on sale pricing (free things too)

* I will still wait awhile before making the decision because I do believe there will be plenty of insides available if I go that way and I want to get the best price so we can spend more while on vacation

BTW...if you respond can you say if you have been in a VIlla - I am also curious what I should tip the butler at the end of the 7 day cruise

Thanks for understanding my frustration because I have done the Pearl in the past and it was reasonable for the 3 and 4th. I am ok with matching the inside - philosophically - because it is very much an inside room inside my Villa (although smaller) and I appreciate the perks but the 1 and 2 passenger pay a huge premium for them. NCL - at first suggested these Villas for family travel but with the change in price structure it seems to be moving away from that model. Who do you think at NCL would be an expert to talk to about the differences we are finding in the pricing?

Wow, I totally understand your issue. I was wondering when NCL was going to start raising the prices on the extra passengers in a room--especially in villas and suites where there are so many amenities. I was actually stunned to see what the prices are on that cruise for the extra person--at first I didn't understand your concern but I went in to look at the prices and I see what you mean. Typically extra passenger prices are $300-$400 per person--on that cruise I see that it is about $1279. This is really not in line with the way pricing has gone in the past. Incidentally, when you get to the cheaper cabins it is MORE bizarre--an inside I think it was 879 for the first two passengers and then 899 for any extra--I actually have never seen the price get HIGHER for extra passengers. So it is not just an increase related to the extra amenities in cruises/villas.

For example, the ship leaving from New York (The Gem) that same week-end has the same 2 bedroom family villa (on the 14th)--and the price for an extra person in the room is maybe $399. (Okay maybe I am crazy but when I went back to check my facts this figure had risen to $749--still a LOT better tham the $1279--but it's early and maybe I am crazy!)

I would suggest that the OP consider going to BERMUDA-- put everyone on the two bedroom villa and save a lot of money.LOL

Point of reference--we got that same 2 bedroom family suite on the Jewel (not the villa one on the 14th--but the regular suite on the 11th)--we put our four kids with us for $99 each as they were having a sale on the extra passengers. Obviously that was a fantastic deal for us and a fantastic vacation.

I have felt that the extra passenger pricing for the villas and suites is one of the best deals and least considered deals going with NCL--my initial impression reading this was that they were going to adjust pricing for the amenity situations (suites and villas) which honestly, I totally understand. But my reaction to this is that it is extreme--and these price increases are not only related to the suites and villas.

Wondering what price the OP initially was speaking about regarding the extra passengers.

We're booked in a CY villa next month and I'm not happy that it doesn't include free alcohol like the OS, which costs the same as a CY villa, but I'm not going to get upset about it. I'm looking forward to a terrific cruise with my family

Agree that doesn't seem to make sense either from a pricing perspective - perk. My husband said perhaps it is because you are on 11 versus 14. We've stayed in an OS .... great location at front of ship on the Gem.

Yes - you will have a great time!

None of this makes any sense. The 3 and 4th price is usually the same no matter what the accomadations. We are siling on the Epic in June in a courtyard villa, and the price is 559.00 per 3 and 4th guest. I would call back and talk to a supervisor, maybe it is some kind of glitch or mistake.

I agree. There is just something strange here. Frankly, I understand if they raised the rates for additional passengers in the villas and suites--because these passengers get a lot of extra amenities. But when the extra person in an inside room is MORE than the first two?? I think there is some kind of mistake.

Thanks for sharing here are some answers...

* I bring up loyalty because I am questioning the program and thought I would state that on this chat board - I really don't see where Latitudes gets us much of anything but an extra cocktail party on board -We never get any special pricing - it's always cheaper to go with a travel agent than through NCL and that feels wrong but perhaps the cruise industry customer service programs are just built differently - I belong to other loyalty programs near home which truly make you feel valued and special with extra discounts and great customer service perks sneak preview on sale pricing (free things too)

BTW...if you respond can you say if you have been in a VIlla - I am also curious what I should tip the butler at the end of the 7 day cruise

There have been a couple threads on here for and against the loyalty program. So my thought on that is just cruise where you are happy.

From my understand TA can't actually give you a lower price but can add OBC to get you to use them.

I have never travelled in a suite but according to these boards the "typical tip" for a butler is $100-$200 for a 7 day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1414452 post #18

None of this makes any sense. The 3 and 4th price is usually the same no matter what the accomadations. We are siling on the Epic in June in a courtyard villa, and the price is 559.00 per 3 and 4th guest. I would call back and talk to a supervisor, maybe it is some kind of glitch or mistake.

Actually when I just looked this up it tells me $759/p on the epic CV for the same week as the OP for the 3rd and 4th person.

OP I think I would be going to a supervisor and telling them you think there is a glitch somewhere.

I would agree to try to speak with someone higher up.

I just checked the cruise I am booked on in September--the price for extra passenger is $299 across the board--regardless of whether that extra passenger is in a villa, suite, balcony, or inside (this is a Bermuda sailing out of Boston) I randomly checked a European cruise on the Gem this summer and the price per extra person is $599 across the board.

That said--both cruises leaving New York in June have per person add on charges that are gradiated (not sure if that is right word)--I too have never seen that. The prices for the Bermuda trip are lower--but are still gradiated. Still--it is just odd. But from my random looks at other cruises it doesn't seem that this is happening anywhere else. Of course I have not check every other cruise.

Agree that doesn't seem to make sense either from a pricing perspective - perk. My husband said perhaps it is because you are on 11 versus 14. We've stayed in an OS .... great location at front of ship on the Gem.

Yes - you will have a great time!

Wow, there is an awful lot of confusion going on here!! First, NO Family Courtyard Villas (Deck 14) or Family Suites (Deck 11) get free alcohol - only OS and above - and in the pricing model, OS are usually priced higher than the Family Courtyard Villa, occasionally the Family Villa will be the same price or higher due to higher demand..

Second, there are DEFINITELY more than two of each Family Courtyard Villa (Deck 14) and Family Suite (Deck 11) on the Jewel (and other Jewel class ships). There are 8 Family Courtyard Villas and 10 Family Suites. Perhaps the person questioning was confusing the Garden Villa or the One Bedroom Courtyard Villa with the Two Bedroom Family Courtyard Villa.

OK, back to your original question. Yes, normally the third and fourth persons in any suite are charged less than if they were to book their own cabins, so I can see your disappointment. I would think that there is something going on here which could be any of the following:

1) It might be a pricing glitch. Perhaps NCL is loading/changing pricing and made a mistake. Have you checked the cruises before and after the one you are looking at to see if the rates for third and fourth are the same?

2) Because the cruises is so close and during peak family travel time, perhaps the close is getting VERY close to capacity with many cabins filled to capacity with third, fourth, fifth pax etc. This would explain the strange structure, as if they sell more extra passengers per cabin (suites, etc), they might not be able to sell those individual cabins (inside, etc) at all because they would have reached full capacity... So therefore, they are pricing as to fill all cabins first, then will reduce price for the extra passengers later IF THERE IS ANY CAPACITY LEFT. It is COMMON that sailings in peak family travel time will not allow third and fourth passengers in a cabin that normally would allow this, because they have reached full capacity for the ship. So please don't think you have a lot of time to make this decision - you might end up with no selection at all!

3) Perhaps NCL is toying with the idea of raising third and fourth passenger rates in suites commensurate with the additional services they receive. I doubt this is the case, as if they were trying this, I would think they would be doing it on cruises further out in date - to see if they will sell at the higher rate..

As for tipping for the additional passengers, when we bring our two daughters along in our suite, we double our tip for the butler in general. This is because they usually double our service in the suite (ie: coffee machine has to be emptied and refilled twice as often, we get twice the food delivered for breakfast, he usually brings extra treats, etc). We also double our extra tip to the room steward, as he does a lot of extra cleaning. We add some to the concierge as well, but not double, as there is not much extra for the concierge to do for the girls (they dine with us in the same reservation, same escorts, a few extra priority baggage tags, etc).

I would love to look into this for you further, but am leaving today for my own sailing... I suggest you speak to a supervisor at NCL to see what is going on with the pricing. Good luck!

Robin

II just checked the cruise I am booked on in September--the price for extra passenger is $299 across the board--regardless of whether that extra passenger is in a villa, suite, balcony, or inside (this is a Bermuda sailing out of Boston) I randomly checked a European cruise on the Gem this summer and the price per extra person is $599 across the board.

That said--both cruises leaving New York in June have per person add on charges that are gradiated (not sure if that is right word)--I too have never seen that. The prices for the Bermuda trip are lower--but are still gradiated. Still--it is just odd. But from my random looks at other cruises it doesn't seem that this is happening anywhere else. Of course I have not check every other cruise.

Sept 18 for the exact same family villa on the Gem are $399/ex p. And June 4th is $649/ex p. But June 29th is higher yet. And July is outrageous as well. So I'd have to guess it's because schools are out. I realize about supply and demand but doubling and trippling the cost to me seems wrong. This is getting stranger.

Second, there are DEFINITELY more than two of each Family Courtyard Villa (Deck 14) and Family Suite (Deck 11) on the Jewel (and other Jewel class ships). There are 8 Family Courtyard Villas and 10 Family Suites. Perhaps the person questioning was confusing the Garden Villa or the One Bedroom Courtyard Villa with the Two Bedroom Family Courtyard Villa.

LOL Robin if you were referring to my post, I meant 2 different types (SC & S4) not 2 as in the number of suites. I was actually saying the OP only said family villa but didn't state which one 11 or 14. Sorry for the confusion,:o

2) Because the cruises is so close and during peak family travel time, perhaps the close is getting VERY close to capacity with many cabins filled to capacity with third, fourth, fifth pax etc. This would explain the strange structure, as if they sell more extra passengers per cabin (suites, etc), they might not be able to sell those individual cabins (inside, etc) at all because they would have reached full capacity... So therefore, they are pricing as to fill all cabins first, then will reduce price for the extra passengers later IF THERE IS ANY CAPACITY LEFT. It is COMMON that sailings in peak family travel time will not allow third and fourth passengers in a cabin that normally would allow this, because they have reached full capacity for the ship. So please don't think you have a lot of time to make this decision - you might end up with no selection at all!

I would love to look into this for you further, but am leaving today for my own sailing... I suggest you speak to a supervisor at NCL to see what is going on with the pricing. Good luck!

Robin

I think you might have hit the nail on the head with #2 since June 4th is a lot lower than the 18th or 25th after school is out.

Have a wonderful cruise :cool:

This entire discussion highlights the cost benefit analysis of going with high cost suites or villas. Personally, I would rather spend my $$ on something else, but for some, I understand the desire to be treated in a special way above the herd.

Still, once you weight the cost vs the benefits, it still amazes me that for a little more space, some fruit and candy baskets, eating at Cagney's (and for Villas perhaps a private pool area) that people will pay from 4-10 times the rate of a balcony.

Of course, I am not rich. My definition of rich is when you have enough so that you don't have to ask the price. Still, these posts are focusing on the price, so I assume that none of us here are rich.

Each to their own. Whatever makes you happy.

This entire discussion highlights the cost benefit analysis of going with high cost suites or villas. Personally, I would rather spend my $$ on something else, but for some, I understand the desire to be treated in a special way above the herd.

Not really 4774Papa because the cost of the 3rd and 4th person n a balcony on this sailing is higher than the cost of person 1 & 2 in an inside as well. So this has really nothing to do with suites.

Archived