NCL 3rd and 4th passenger Villa pricing

EE from NJ

I think that if this is not an error that it really does mark a new way of pricing.

Not debating the merits of it--just saying--in my experience the price for the extra person in a cabin has always been the same amount regardless of the type of room. It would be say $599 for an extra person in a suite, a balcony, or an inside room.

I USUALLY see the prices for 3rd and 4th the same across categories, but I can say I've also seen it higher for the higher end categories on various ships. The one I seemed to see it the most was on the EPIC.

On our next sailing, the price for 3rd/4th was same across the board in the $300 range, than for about a week, the higher end categories shot up to the $600 range and now they are back down.

I have never looked at the Epic prices, so I was not aware that they sometimes had the fares differentiated for the extra passengers (or gradiated--or whatever the right word is).

Random check (outside of Epic)--almost all the cruises have one price for the additional passenger which remains consistent regardless of type of room--obivously I have not checked every single cruise.

It totally makes sense that a suite or villa extra passenger would cost more--but obivously it was wonderful that that was not the case!

At any rate--when you look at the fact that for the crusie the OP is psoting about (June 18) the cost for the 3rd passenger in an inside is $899--but for the first two passengers it is only $879--in other words, the price is HIGHER for the additional passengers. I have to say that I ahve never seen that. I believe there is some type of error.

I will be anxious to see what the OP finds out.

We had a CY villa on the Gem and to tell you the truth, two girls in the small bedroom won't have much storage space. The bathroom size is great but storage is limited as far as drawers and closet space. One good thing is that if/when they come in later than you at night you will probably never hear them. Of note: as someone else mentioned they do have 3rd/4th sales now and again.

Thanks all-

I plan to get back in contact with NCL today and go as high up for clarification as possible!

To address a prior posters statement - I am not wealthy - by any means - but it is my 30th wedding anniversary present and I do not want to "feel" ripped off. In fact, I want to feel "valued" as a Latitues member. My husband and I value the travel experience as much as the destination and I agree with everyone that the villa offers pampering and a great experince which I believe the 1st and 2nd passenger pay handsomely for. The last time I did this itin I only got off the ship at the private island and may do the same again. So I really use my room too.

We have sailed everything from inside (1), balcony(8), owners suite(1), and villa(1). My fav part about Villa is a short distance to the wonderful (although small) pool. I have trouble walking so it is really a perk for me.

I promise to post what I eventually find out from someone closer to the top. I think the biggest sting in this is the Gem (sailing out of same port next day) is considerably cheaper for 3rd and 4th in same Villa. So the calendar pricing doesn't fly either ..... uggggh. I would have considered Bermuda if I knew this would give me a challenge before I get on the ship.

And, for those who want to say, just have fun on the cruise....of course I will but I always would like to feel "valued and heard" by NCL between now and then.

Again thanks for all the posts!

I promise to post what I eventually find out from someone closer to the top. I think the biggest sting in this is the Gem (sailing out of same port next day) is considerably cheaper for 3rd and 4th in same Villa. So the calendar pricing doesn't fly either ..... uggggh. I would have considered Bermuda if I knew this would give me a challenge before I get on the ship.

Oh yes please do. Not that I feel a corporation has to explain to anyone why they price a certain way. And although it is always just my DH and myself, I really am curious what you find out.

However I do think fishbaits possible explanation in post #20, #2 point makes the most logical sense so far. Since they cannot have over the ship maximum capacity due to lifeboat space.

Update -

Sent detailed email asking for direction on how to proceed (who should I address my unhappiness about the significant difference between Gem and Jewel 3 and 4 person same weekend) to a high level person at NCL on Friday. No reply yet. On Monday, I plan to follow "up" again.

If NCL doesn't respond - anyone know who is a watchdog for the cruise industry and their practices/pricing?

All....I did get a detailed response to my concerns and I am grateful. Although I don't agree with the answer - it is what it is. The pricing on this cruise for 3rd and 4th is due to capacity issues. One of the earlier replies I received in this forum mentioned that as a possibility.

It appears this ship is filling up and when that happens they adjust to 3rd and 4th passenger "upward" to discourage too many passengers and too few lifeboats. Which I am also grateful for :-)

Now the big decision for me will be to put the girls in the inside and save a total of 800 or put them in the Villa. So, I am going to let the girls weigh in for themselves. They are in their 20's and will know what they would prefer. I just want to enjoy my vacation/anniversary while on the Jewel.

In the end NCL has become responsive to my inquiry and that is all one can ask in customer service. As far as Latitudes - I still am not sure the program is a great benefit but may reconsider when I am at a cocktail party while on board!:)

All....I did get a detailed response to my concerns and I am grateful. Although I don't agree with the answer - it is what it is. The pricing on this cruise for 3rd and 4th is due to capacity issues. One of the earlier replies I received in this forum mentioned that as a possibility.

It appears this ship is filling up and when that happens they adjust to 3rd and 4th passenger "upward" to discourage too many passengers and too few lifeboats. Which I am also grateful for :-)

Now the big decision for me will be to put the girls in the inside and save a total of 800 or put them in the Villa. So, I am going to let the girls weigh in for themselves. They are in their 20's and will know what they would prefer. I just want to enjoy my vacation/anniversary while on the Jewel.

In the end NCL has become responsive to my inquiry and that is all one can ask in customer service. As far as Latitudes - I still am not sure the program is a great benefit but may reconsider when I am at a cocktail party while on board!:)

Thank you for getting back and letting us know the outcome. Sorry it wasn't better news for you but you sound like you have a good attitude and I'm sure either way you will all enjoy your cruise.

We just got back from a Garden Villa cruise. The bedrooms are all bigger than a balcony cabin. They each have there own bathrooms as well. Their balconies are also larger than those of a balcony cabin. The two smaller rooms will accommodate splitting the beds. The master bedroom cannot. The master bedroom also has a sofa/love seat which can be converted into a bed. I understand they will set up cots in the living room if required as well. There is more than enough room if you need them.

Proportionally the cost is next to nothing to add the other passengers beyond the first two.

The pricing difference may have something to do with the size of the Garden Villa. It is larger on the Jewel than on the GEM. On the GEM, they opted to add a couple of Owners suites on the 15 floor. This actually makes the outdoor area smaller on the GEM.

We noticed a slight difference in pricing between the two ships for the Garden Villa however the Jewel was a couple of days longer so it didn't seem unusual to me.

Archived