tallinn

mucc

. . . . I would be very pleased for you to add that link to your walking tour . . . .

Done. It is towards the end, section 14. I may change that part and include other links such as the video about the Singing Revoluation and the web site for the Olde Hansa. http://www.oldehansa.ee/ The latter web site has more pictures, an interesting menu and a way to make reservations, should anyone want to do that.

I have pdf'd all of LairBears "walks" for the Baltic. I'm thinking that that "Rick" guy should be careful!! LOL

Marilyn

I agree! We are using Lair Bear's walks for both Tallin and Rotterdam.

Kirk

I have pdf'd all of LairBears "walks" for the Baltic. I'm thinking that that "Rick" guy should be careful!! LOL

Marilyn

So, is LairBear's walk different from the one Rick Steves includes in his Scandinavia guidebook? I have been a happy devotee of any Rick Steves' walking tours on my European travels. I thought about comparing the two, but have not yet done so. Sounds like others have. Are they truly very different?

So, is LairBear's walk different from the one Rick Steves includes in his Scandinavia guidebook? I have been a happy devotee of any Rick Steves' walking tours on my European travels. I thought about comparing the two, but have not yet done so. Sounds like others have. Are they truly very different?

Let me explain what I tried to do with the 'Tallinn Walking Tour'.

Like you, I have used Rick Steve's references several times and he does a great job. What I did not see in his descriptions are really good maps (and that goes for other places as well). I found by using Google maps as a base, I was able to include details, reference numbers and yet be able to tell a 'story', the history of the people with lots of pictures.

Tallinn is a neat place to explore. It is surrounded by medieval walls and towers. Rick Steve ignored this during the first part of his walk and went straight up the 'main street' while the original wall is only a block further to the north. We found that there are unique little spots along this less travelled route and still end up at the same place.

The city has many great sites and I am sure all, if not most, were covered by Rick Steve and myself. I did not use Steve's description to create my walk, it was just a trial and error way to pick a route that seemed to make sence. Lots of pictures on the internet helped.

So, are the two different? Yes, but both decribe a fantastic city with charm and character while offering nice opportunities for great pictures and souvenirs to take home.

I might add that I did this for my own enjoyment. Our web site is private and there are no commercial values involved. Hence I feel free to use many resources that others (such as Rick Steve) have to pay for or acknowledge. You will never find a Google map in his books unless he makes a prior 'arrangement'.

People have suggested that I should publish the eight walking tours, but I have no interest in doing so. If others get some benefit of what I enjoyed doing, great, have at it.

Edited by Lair Bear

Lair Bear,

Your walking tours gave me the gumption to do my first European cruise. I do appreciate you wanted this for yourself but thank you for sharing it all with us. The grandkids are using our itinerary and the walking tours to keep up with where we are in the different ports. The pictures expand their understanding of what we are seeing. THANK you for not putting pictures of all the things we could be buying for the grands in the walks! LOL

Mary

Like you, I have used Rick Steve's references several times and he does a great job. What I did not see in his descriptions are really good maps (and that goes for other places as well). I found by using Google maps as a base, I was able to include details, reference numbers and yet be able to tell a 'story', the history of the people with lots of pictures.

Tallinn is a neat place to explore. It is surrounded by medieval walls and towers. Rick Steve ignored this during the first part of his walk and went straight up the 'main street' while the original wall is only a block further to the north. We found that there are unique little spots along this less travelled route and still end up at the same place.

The city has many great sites and I am sure all, if not most, were covered by Rick Steve and myself. I did not use Steve's description to create my walk, it was just a trial and error way to pick a route that seemed to make sence. Lots of pictures on the internet helped.

So, are the two different? Yes, but both decribe a fantastic city with charm and character while offering nice opportunities for great pictures and souvenirs to take home.

I might add that I did this for my own enjoyment. Our web site is private and there are no commercial values involved. Hence I feel free to use many resources that others (such as Rick Steve) have to pay for or acknowledge. You will never find a Google map in his books unless he makes a prior 'arrangement'.

People have suggested that I should publish the eight walking tours, but I have no interest in doing so. If others get some benefit of what I enjoyed doing, great, have at it.

For someone to take so much time and effort in order to help others, is truly wonderful. Rick STeves is in it for the MONEY!! He has become so commercialized in the last 5 years, it is incredible. He makes HUGE profits on his tours, if anyone has priced one. Your walking tour is definately more interesting on paper, and I am so looking forward to doing it next month in Tallinn. Keep up the good work.:):):)

If you go the Lair Bears website (listed in his relply), he has a very nice walking tour of Tallinn.

Kirk

thanks a million to both you and Lair Bair. You for posting about Lair Bear's site and

Lair Bear for a great site!

Thank you so much for your clear explanation; I really appreciate your taking the time to explain why you developed your walking tour. I certainly plan to take it when I am there in two weeks!:)

Thanks,

Pam

Edited by CintiPam

• 2 months later...
Hi Lair Bear

Thanks for your kind words. Your blogs are fantastic (as is the whole website) and I would be very pleased for you to add that link to your walking tour, which made my day in Tallinn so easy.

What does a Cornish Pastyman do ? I eat a lot of Cornish Pasties, as my waistline will attest. And this one is lucky enough to be able to take a lot of holidays (although not as many as you) !

Thanks again, Tony

I want one..or tw..I have visited

Plym often

I want one..or tw..I have visited

Plym often

I don't make the pasties, just eat them ! But as Plymouth is in Devon, not Cornwall, you may not have had a' proper' one, as only pasties made in Cornwall can be called a Cornish pasty following the granting this year of Protected Geographical Indication by the European Commission (I'm not making this up).

Nice to see the EC is dealing with the big issues :) Good job there's no economic crisis or any other major things they could be looking at.

I don't make the pasties, just eat them ! But as Plymouth is in Devon, not Cornwall, you may not have had a' proper' one, as only pasties made in Cornwall can be called a Cornish pasty following the granting this year of Protected Geographical Indication by the European Commission (I'm not making this up).

Nice to see the EC is dealing with the big issues :) Good job there's no economic crisis or any other major things they could be looking at.

Oh, dear, Cornishpastyman, I have had such a laugh over this post! Thanks for the chuckle.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Lair Bear; to add to the chorus, thank you so much for taking the time to post all the amazing and helpful information on your site. We are doing a Baltic cruise next July and now that I've found your site am really getting into the planning of various ports!

Can you tell me how long it took you to walk the route?

Lair Bear; to add to the chorus, thank you so much for taking the time to post all the amazing and helpful information on your site. We are doing a Baltic cruise next July and now that I've found your site am really getting into the planning of various ports!

Can you tell me how long it took you to walk the route?

Thank you, Beth, but to repeat what I have said in the past. This walking tour was just a way to share what I found out before we got there our selves. When I did my 'research' of this 'strange' port, I found it fascinating to see so many ancient walls, towers and buildings in such a marvelous setting. I just had to find a way to touch the highlights and, voila, another walking tour.

Besides the walking tour you might also have seen the pictures of what we actual saw several months after I put the tour together. It worked out good for us also. http://www.*****.com/Estonia.html

The total distance from the dock to the first entrance of Old Town is less than a mile. From there the walk is less than two miles total. The time to do this can vary from a couple hours to most of the day. It all depends on how much time you want to spend for looking, shopping and lunch. But don't rush unless your ship leaves early in the afternoon.

Have a great time.

Edited by Lair Bear

• 1 month later...
Thank you, Beth, but to repeat what I have said in the past. This walking tour was just a way to share what I found out before we got there our selves. When I did my 'research' of this 'strange' port, I found it fascinating to see so many ancient walls, towers and buildings in such a marvelous setting. I just had to find a way to touch the highlights and, voila, another walking tour.

Besides the walking tour you might also have seen the pictures of what we actual saw several months after I put the tour together. It worked out good for us also. http://www.********.com/Estonia.html

The total distance from the dock to the first entrance of Old Town is less than a mile. From there the walk is less than two miles total. The time to do this can vary from a couple hours to most of the day. It all depends on how much time you want to spend for looking, shopping and lunch. But don't rush unless your ship leaves early in the afternoon.

Have a great time.

LairBear~ My interest has been piqued! I am visiting Tallinn next June on our cruise to the Baltics. I would love to look at your walking tour but am unable to see your website. Anyway you can email me a link?

LairBear~ My interest has been piqued! I am visiting Tallinn next June on our cruise to the Baltics. I would love to look at your walking tour but am unable to see your website. Anyway you can email me a link?

Google: Lair Bear Tallinn walking tour or Jay Brentje Tallinn walking tour

Edited by Coolcruise02

You're very welcome. If it's any interest links to the 16 videos I made from that cruise are at post # 10 here http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1456034

WOW...thanks for posting the links. I watched a few and bookmarked it. I am going to pace myself and watch a few each evening. :)

• 3 months later...
I can't find the Lair Bear website. Cruise Critic shows the URL as http://www.*******.com/Estonia.html with a bunch of asterisks. Not very helpful! Google search keeps pointing me back to Cruise Critic. Can someone tell me what the URL is without making it look a URL?

Yes, I guess I am missing it too. Can you help us:confused:

Looking up at a previous post I did find it!!! Thanks! Looks great!!

Edited by Cellagirl
Found my answer