Bermuda

CruisenCommando

Kendon

The new Crown Princess will be a megaship, sister to the Caribbean Princess, and not to confused with the former Crown Princess, sister to Regal.

It will dock at the dockyards - too big to get into Hamilton.

I wonder what will happend when Celebrity pulls there two ships out of Bermuda service. Horizon is due to leave at the end of this year, I believe. Have not seen any word about Zenith, but keeping her in the Celebrity fleet will make her their oldest vessel. I would think she will be departing soon, too.

I think the government of Bermuda needs to address the depth and width of the channel into Hamilton sooner rather than later. Docking at the West End, at the Dockyards, is not tourist friendly, IMO. It is a l-o-n-g way to St. George from there, for example.

An area of the channel called "Two Rock Passage" leading into Hamilton Harbour is the limiting factor. I'm not sure Bermuda is willing (or even able to, reasonably) to do anything about it. I have been to Bermuda several times. The first time as a kid in 1980 on the old ss Rotterdam. We had to anchor in Grassy Bay (off the West End) and tendering into Hamilton was a 1/2 hour ride by one of Bermuda's ferries. The Dockyard wasn't even developed yet! Now, ships like the QE2 (certainly not the biggest today, but among the deepest drafts) can at least dock in Bermuda on the West End and avoid the tendering operation. The maneurvering room in Hamilton, off the docks, may also be limited (as far as length of ship goes).

Archived