SHADOW LIVE Seoul-Anchorage

rojaan19

My photos from this cruise are now up on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/j-and-p/sets/72157626879582148/

Enjoyed your pics LaVieBoheme.

I was interested to see them because I'm doing the reverse cruise next year, Vancouver to Tokyo (hopefully) in September.

How cold did it actually get?

Cheers

Jennifer

Where are you/we going next? And when?

No plans yet but we arrived home to find the 2012 Silversea brochure in our mailbox - do they do that on purpose?

How cold did it actually get?

The coldest noon-time temperature I heard reported was about 1C (34F) add in the motion of the ship and it can feel much colder on deck - add in a nice 34 kt headwind and we are talking real chilly. Both Petropavlovsk and Dutch Harbor were around 4-6 C (warmer in the sun - when it appeared). We took ski jackets with us but never actually used them - a fleece sweater combined with a waterproof jacket worked fine: of course ... YMMV.

Thanks for the photos. You memorialized an interesting blend of beautiful geography, a lovely ship, and a bit of a hardscrabble life in some of the smaller Alaskan ports. The Alaskans seem to have a certain joie d'vivre to lighten their lives.

Did you go on any shorex at Dutch Harbor, Homer, or Kodiak Island? Any bald eagles, salmon runs, or hard-charging Deadliest Catch captains?

Did anyone go to the tea at a Russian dacha in Petropavlosk? Did the Russians in that port delay the sailaway to make the usual demands of liquor, pastries, and cash?

Ruby

Did you go on any shorex at Dutch Harbor, Homer, or Kodiak Island? Any bald eagles, salmon runs, or hard-charging Deadliest Catch captains?

We did a historical tour of Dutch harbor - two museums and a cathedral. I believe this was the only tour offered - no fishing excursions. On Kodiak we did a wildlife excursion - which was fun - and there was also a tour of the town on offer. I am pretty certain a fishing excursion was offered but I don't believe anybody went on it.

Did anyone go to the tea at a Russian dacha in Petropavlosk? Did the Russians in that port delay the sailaway to make the usual demands of liquor, pastries, and cash?

[/Quote]

The tea excursion wasn't offered, or if it was I didn't see it on the list. There was a tour of the town, a visit to see some sledge dogs and a trip to the volcanoes.

The sailaway was almost on time - the only hold-up was the dirty Russian fuel barge which had a hard time getting itself untied. It also left a lovely large black rubber streak on the hull - which was promptly painted over in Dutch Harbor.

I got the impression that things went very smoothly this time - though a lot of Russian "staff" came onboard (it took two trips by the pilot boat to get them all off). Maybe spending a day on the Shadow was enough?

The sailaway was almost on time - the only hold-up was the dirty Russian fuel barge which had a hard time getting itself untied. It also left a lovely large black rubber streak on the hull - which was promptly painted over in Dutch Harbor.

I got the impression that things went very smoothly this time - though a lot of Russian "staff" came onboard (it took two trips by the pilot boat to get them all off). Maybe spending a day on the Shadow was enough?

A few years ago in Dubai on Nautica, we embarked 3 Indian immigration officials who were onboard for the 3 days to Mumbai. It was a total boondoggle and, as you say, much easier than negotiations with local officials for overt bribes. The only problem was that Nautica (Oceania) is 99% nonsmoking and the Indian agents smoked like chimneys in their cabins. I reported the smell of smoke to Reception and it stopped but the Indians must have enjoyed living in the lap of luxury for three days.

How do you get from the ship to Anchorage? By tour coach? Train?

Ruby

The cruise ended in Anchorage - so the transfer was quick and easy :)

Colour me embarrassed! Everyone on this thread kept saying Anchorage, I thought Anchorage was landlocked, and assumed y'all disembarked in Seward. Whoops!

In your Flickr photos, you show a canal and what seems to be locks. Was that really a lock that Silver Shadow sailed thru? I'm a Big Fan of locks.

Ruby

• 3 weeks later...

Finally home and working on my photos and trip report.

First photos of the food we consumed.Not every dish,some dishes were repeated,sometimes i just forgot to take a picture and did not feel like pulling the camera out when we were on the Captain's table.As well didn't always take down details-especially by the time we got to desserts so some pics are unlabelled.

here is the link-

https://picasaweb.google.com/ron.dolton/SilverShadowFood#

Nice food pics! I just ate lunch, and they still made me hungry (except for the one of the slab of prime rib with the huge hunk of fat on it--I would have sent that back to have the fat sliced off--ick.)

• 2 weeks later...

For any one interested I do a Frequent flyer forum trip report of our holidays.It is here-

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/trip-reports-and-trip-photos/i-can-see-russia-my-29754.html

The cruise on the silver shadow starts at post 25.

Before that are flight details and a week in thailand.

Archived