Best transport option from Doncaster to Southampton

L & S

Son and daughter in law are cruising for the first time on the 20th July TA. They are staying over in New York for 3 days and flying back to Manchester. This obviously gives them a problem regarding getting to Southampton. They could get a taxi but have been quoted £200 one way to Southampton, the train is an absolute nightmare with around 4 changes. Flying seems to be the favourite choice, but then costs extra to take an extra case with them. Any suggestions please?. Perhaps someone has done this already and could give us some help.

Thanks.....just checking flight from Manchester.....even including car parking for 10 days plus excess baggage charges it looks like its going to work our cheaper than £200.

Thanks folks.....the cheapest option is the train, as you say 2 changes so that's not too bad. Plus it will be 'Dad's Taxis on the way home from Manchester. !! Thanks for the help.

Have you checked the trains carefully? I think there's a direct train from Yorkshire to Soton. We took it from Sheffield, but I think it stops at Doncaster. Go to nationalrail and see if you can find times that will work. IIRC, the train came from York, didn't stop at Leeds (which is why we needed to go to Sheffield), but did make other stops in Yorkshire. Even if they have to change at a Yorkshire station, that's easier and cheaper than doing the taxi connection in London.

Get the tickets as early as possible, and the fares are low. Don't wait until the last minute, when the fares are very high.

Son and daughter in law are cruising for the first time on the 20th July TA. They are staying over in New York for 3 days and flying back to Manchester. This obviously gives them a problem regarding getting to Southampton. They could get a taxi but have been quoted £200 one way to Southampton, the train is an absolute nightmare with around 4 changes. Flying seems to be the favourite choice, but then costs extra to take an extra case with them. Any suggestions please?. Perhaps someone has done this already and could give us some help.

+++++

I had a quick look at Trainline.com and there is a direct Cross Country train from Doncaster at 0850, arriving Southampton 1317. I picked 7/7 as a date and the lowest single fare is GBP78.50 and that's first class! Lowest fare I saw was GBP 32.50 in standard on trains with changes.

While I live in America, I use UK trains on 3-4 visits a year, having done so since the Ocean Liner Express from Southampton Docks to London Waterloo in July 1958.

+++++

I had a quick look at Trainline.com and there is a direct Cross Country train from Doncaster at 0850, arriving Southampton 1317. I picked 7/7 as a date and the lowest single fare is GBP78.50 and that's first class! Lowest fare I saw was GBP 32.50 in standard on trains with changes.

While I live in America, I use UK trains on 3-4 visits a year, having done so since the Ocean Liner Express from Southampton Docks to London Waterloo in July 1958.

Yes, but the Cross Country train is a 220 or 221, which means you have diesel engines droning under you for all of that journey - I don't think those trains are up to long distances.

The alternative East Coast route into Kings Cross has decent Mk 3 or 4 coaches which would be significantly more pleasant. But it is likely to cost more.....

Personally, if you can get a car for £200 that sound to me like a billy bargain. Easiest possible trip, reasonable cost.

WD

Yes, but the Cross Country train is a 220 or 221, which means you have diesel engines droning under you for all of that journey - I don't think those trains are up to long distances.

The alternative East Coast route into Kings Cross has decent Mk 3 or 4 coaches which would be significantly more pleasant. But it is likely to cost more.....

Personally, if you can get a car for £200 that sound to me like a billy bargain. Easiest possible trip, reasonable cost.

++++++

I was in the lead car (Quiet Car) on a Cross Country in April from Manchester to Taunton, almost a four-hour journey, and I was not bothered by droning diesels.

++++++

I was in the lead car (Quiet Car) on a Cross Country in April from Manchester to Taunton, almost a four-hour journey, and I was not bothered by droning diesels.

That was a 220 or 221? One gets the occasional HST on cross country routes I believe? Now the HST would make the ideal long distance diesel train. Best train on the network in my view. By a long margin - and it was introduced in the early seventies!

WD

That was a 220 or 221? One gets the occasional HST on cross country routes I believe? Now the HST would make the ideal long distance diesel train. Best train on the network in my view. By a long margin - and it was introduced in the early seventies!

WD

[font=Times

New Roman]Now where did I put that notebook and my flask of milky coffee?

Gari.

[/font]

Have you checked Cruise Connect. This does various pick-ups throughout UK and takes you straight to the ship, and your luggage is transported on board to your cabin from the coach. We are using this service from Manchester -it costs around £70 one way or £85 return.

as far as im aware you cannot get a flight from a uk airport to southampton last time i look about 3 weeks ago i had to go via dublin cruise connect are good and priced well not sure if they pick up in doncaster in the brochure i have the closest to you is sheffield which is £86 return hope this helps

I've just booked the direct Virgin train from Southampton to Sheffield for getting home after our Jun 10 Eastbound T/A. It was £37.00 per person. If you're at Donny there are a ton of trains and "dad's taxi" to Sheffield :D

Have you tried National Express coach? We used them and found them quite reasonable. You do get a few stops on the way but it is quite enjoyable.

as far as im aware you cannot get a flight from a uk airport to southampton last time i look about 3 weeks ago i had to go via dublin cruise connect are good and priced well not sure if they pick up in doncaster in the brochure i have the closest to you is sheffield which is £86 return hope this helps

There is a flight from Leeds. Flymaybe do it about 8.30 IIRC. Return somewhere round 3pm which means a long wait in Soton.

Gari

L&S

Accordiong to the Cunard August 2011 - April 2013 brochure there is a Cruise Connect service from Doncaster. Price per adult is £70 single. I don't know how long the journey would be but I have used Cruise Connect previously and found it hassle free. You give your suitcases to the driver and you next see them in they will be in your stateroom. If you think this is an option the contact details for Cruise Connect are phone 0845 052 0537 or email Cunard@intercruises.com.

Hope your son and daughter in law have a wonderful holiday.

Patsy

:):):)

Have you thought about hiring a car with a one way drop off. We have done this several times. You can rent a car from Enterprise for aprox £25 / £30 plus £25 one way drop off you can drop your cases of at the dock then take the car to Enterprise they will then drop you back at off at the dock free of charge.

Hope this Helps

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Archived