New Military OBC Requirement

Stevesan

Notice that the e-mail doesn’t clarify if I have to resubmit only the ID card copies, or resend the request form, too.

In the past I’ve sent only the front side without a problem, most recent was March 19th.

The backside contains only personal info such as weight, height, color hair and eyes etc. None of that has anything to do with eligibility.

The front side contains all the relevant qualification data needed: photo, expiration date, name, social security number (which should be blacked out) and U.S. Air Force Retired. I replied to their e-mail asking why they’re adding the backside, but I’m not holding my breath for an answer.

Dear Mr. Johnson,

We require the front and back side of your Retired Military Id card. Please resubmit.

Sincerely,

Princess Cruises, Booking Support

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

1 800-PRINCESS

Shareholder Fax: (661) 753-0180hareholderbenefit@princesscruises.com

Notice that the e-mail doesn’t clarify if I have to resubmit only the ID card copies, or resend the request form, too.

In the past I’ve sent only the front side without a problem, most recent was March 19th.

The backside contains only personal info such as weight, height, color hair and eyes etc. None of that has anything to do with eligibility.

The front side contains all the relevant qualification data needed: photo, expiration date, name, social security number (which should be blacked out) and U.S. Air Force Retired. I replied to their e-mail asking why they’re adding the backside, but I’m not holding my breath for an answer.

The only thing I can think of is there is a new (as on 5 years ago) military ID for service members (not retirees, and Dependants). It has SSN and DOB on the back.

card_new_geneva_scanning.jpg

The alternative (and I hope it isn't true) is they noticed some fraud. Some people will do anything even fake military service for free money. Sadly it wouldn't be that difficult to Photoshop an ID to change photo and name.

The alternative (and I hope it isn't true) is they noticed some fraud. Some people will do anything even fake military service for free money. Sadly it wouldn't be that difficult to Photoshop an ID to change photo and name.

And if there's enough suspected abuse, Princess could re-assess whether to continue the benefit.

I received a call from the person in Investors Relations who was processing my request for the military OBC. She said that from now on the back side of the retired AF ID card would be required when processing the military OBC.. They needed to see the date - only date on back side is date of birth and date of issue. Let's hope that people are honest and not abusing this "gift" from Princess.

I received a call from the person in Investors Relations who was processing my request for the military OBC. She said that from now on the back side of the retired AF ID card would be required when processing the military OBC.. They needed to see the date - only date on back side is date of birth and date of issue. Let's hope that people are honest and not abusing this "gift" from Princess.

Exactly why I used e-mail. Too many cruise line reps are lacking in knowledge, but will make up something anyway. I can't fathom why they do that, but it happens repeatedly.

Faxing the back side is fine with me especially if there's a valid reason. However, the"new" ID card is a five year old program and has nada to do with changing a requirement within the last two month.

My primary gripe is the that the request form,which is a great idea, doesn't say that both sides need sending. I was p****d because I don't own a fax machine and had to trek to Office Depot, and pay a second fee.

Naturally, I didn't get a reply to my e-mail, didn't really expect one so I resubmitted the request form and the ID card sides.

I caved now mainly because today is Rapture Day and I wanted to get it done before going to Heaven!;)

Exactly why I used e-mail. Too many cruise line reps are lacking in knowledge, but will make up something anyway. I can't fathom why they do that, but it happens repeatedly.

Faxing the back side is fine with me especially if there's a valid reason. However, the"new" ID card is a five year old program and has nada to do with changing a requirement within the last two month.

My primary gripe is the that the request form,which is a great idea, doesn't say that both sides need sending. I was p****d because I don't own a fax machine and had to trek to Office Depot, and pay a second fee.

Naturally, I didn't get a reply to my e-mail, didn't really expect one so I resubmitted the request form and the ID card sides.

I caved now mainly because today is Rapture Day and I wanted to get it done before going to Heaven!;)

I'm just glad she called me and told me about the "new" requirement and went ahead and processed my form. I send both the military and CCL OBC request by email. Use to go to the bank and have them fax it for me (free). Much easier to do from home using email. So far I get an email telling me that the military OBC has been applied to the booking.

I cannot say as how 'new' this requirement is, but I do know we were asked to send both the front and back of the retired ID card when we applied for the benefit on the cruise we took this last March. That was back when Liza McDaniel was the only contact and there was no form to fill out. I no longer have the email, but I know it was back before final payment, so was in 2010.

My DD 214 was issued in 1952. at that time they did not use Social Security numbers, but serial numbers issued by the Navy and nothing on the back. Never have had a problem with the VA and hopefully with Princess. Just sent copies off yesterday. Marvin

I'm just glad she called me and told me about the "new" requirement and went ahead and processed my form. I send both the military and CCL OBC request by email. Use to go to the bank and have them fax it for me (free). Much easier to do from home using email. So far I get an email telling me that the military OBC has been applied to the booking.

Agreed, but I don't own a fax machine or a scanner. The need for either would arise maybe a half dozen times p/annum.

An OBC change triggers a Princess e-mail with a revised booking form attached. It also appears on Cruise Personalizer, if you book direct.

I always do with Princess. They don't allow travel agent discounts, and I value having control over getting a TA discount.

Besides, I'm a a retired control freak with nothing better to do.:p

I once engaged a TA for a HAL cruise. She sent me an on board gift voucher for a "crystal" desk clock.

The price tag on the clock was a munificent $12!:rolleyes:

My DD 214 was issued in 1952. at that time they did not use Social Security numbers, but serial numbers issued by the Navy and nothing on the back. Never have had a problem with the VA and hopefully with Princess. Just sent copies off yesterday. Marvin

Geez, I thought I was old (enlisted March 1953)!:p

A recent trip was on Maasdam. That cruise made me feel young again.

We could get rich with the electric scooter franchise for that ship. ;)

An OBC change triggers a Princess e-mail with a revised booking form attached. It also appears on Cruise Personalizer, if you book direct.

I always do with Princess. They don't allow travel agent discounts, and I value having control over getting a TA discount.

I didn't send the back of my ID card in a few weeks ago for two different cruises and the OBC was processed, but it's good to know the new requirement for next time!

I like having control as well, but I'm not willing to pay Princess over $400 more than what I paid through my TA on our next cruise, to get it! And I'm not giving up the $50 OBC and wine either :-)

Agreed, but I don't own a fax machine or a scanner. The need for either would arise maybe a half dozen times p/annum.

Besides, I'm a a retired control freak with nothing better to do.:p

I once engaged a TA for a HAL cruise. She sent me an on board gift voucher for a "crystal" desk clock.

The price tag on the clock was a munificent $12!:rolleyes:

I don't use my scanner for the documents as the ID card/Driver's License always came out too dark. I took pictures of all required documents for either the military or CCL OBC and saved them to "My Pictures". I have the request form in Word Document that I copy to an email and fill in the blanks. Then I insert whatever documents are needed into the body of the email. That way Princess has everything up front and they don't have to open attachments.

I get the confirmation email and a new booking form for cruises that are still booked thru Princess. I try and get all the OBC credited before transferring the booking to a TA. I like to know for sure that the OBC has been credited. Never got a clock as a TA gift (thank goodness) but DH does like the wine and I like the TA's OBC.

Besides, I'm a a retired control freak with nothing better to do.

Where do you get the idea that Princess doesn't allow TA discounts? I think you may be confusing RCCL/Celebrity with Princess. Just booked by first Princess cruise. $200 less pp using TA than using Princess.

Received an e-mail yesterday with the new Military OBC request form attached. It includes the need to include both front and back sides of the military ID card. Gee, what a coincidence.:p

Archived