Just back

chief8

From the Royal Gazette:

This week, the service has announced that it will run a ferry to and from St George’s on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, departing Dockyard at 10.30am and leaving St George’s at 2.45pm. On Wednesday, ferries will also be added to help support Harbour Nights in Hamilton, with an additional ferry departing Dockyard for Hamilton at 6.15pm, and two ferries travelling from Hamilton to Dockyard at 9.30pm and 10pm

It was my understanding that if you bought a 2 or 3 day transportation pass that included the use of buses and ferrys. I'm confused on why the above poster had to pay extra for the ferry. Does anyone know if the passes include both forms of transportation?

Thanks!

It was my understanding that if you bought a 2 or 3 day transportation pass that included the use of buses and ferrys. I'm confused on why the above poster had to pay extra for the ferry. Does anyone know if the passes include both forms of transportation?

Thanks!

Yes, transportation passes are for buses AND ferries.

I gather that the overflow ferry is one of the slower boats and takes about 30 minutes longer to reach St. Georges. Can someone confirm that?

j

Yes, it's the large, old tender Bermudian that's used for the extra run, not one of the modern Fast Ferry catamarans that are used for the regulary scheduled runs.

Thanks!

Yes, transportation passes are for buses AND ferries.

It sounds like the poster originally bought one day passes and used them to go to Hamilton, except for one pass that wasn't used because a member of the family chose to stay on the ship. Then, the next day they wanted to use the previously unused one day pass and also bought tokens for the remainder of the family, but never got to use any of them that second day because the ferries were too crowded.

With the overcrowding on the St. George ferry, just wondering if taking a ferry to Hamilton then a bus from Hamilton to St. George be a viable alternative. I was contemplating that route back from St. George to the Dockyards to get a tour of the Island via the bus and also get to see Hamilton. Is there a problem getting a bus when you are out of the Dockyards area and cruise ships crowds?

With the overcrowding on the St. George ferry, just wondering if taking a ferry to Hamilton then a bus from Hamilton to St. George be a viable alternative. I was contemplating that route back from St. George to the Dockyards to get a tour of the Island via the bus and also get to see Hamilton. Is there a problem getting a bus when you are out of the Dockyards area and cruise ships crowds?

You can do that, but it probably doubles your travel time to St. George's. There have also been reports on Cruise Critic of bus cancellations on the routes that run from the St.George's area to Hamilton...and those cancellations appear to occur when drivers call in sick, forcing the cancellations, so they're totally unpredictable.

If you don't care to read the long story (and I'm sure it could be told better, but I'm typing as fast as possibly while DS naps, just to get it on here) the short of it is that there is a serious lack of communication with regard to ticket/ token sales and the departure area. So much so that I'm sitting here in Virginia with four $4 one-way tokens and one $12 day pass as souvenirs.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Wish there were a way I could buy those tokens and the pass from you so you would not get stuck with them. Do you work in DC?

Just incase anyone would like input on recent transportation. We were worried about it before we left. ---

We just got back Sunday, 5/22 from Bermuda. We were there from Wed-Fri. evening. We took the ferry from Dockyard to St. George's the first morning with no problem at all. We took a bus from St. George to Hamilton. It was full. I had to stand until the first stop, but not too bad. We rode, seated with open seats to spare, the rest of the way to Hamilton. We took the ferry from Hamilton to the Dockyard, after an hour or so in town, with no crowding or waiting what so ever. That evening, we took the ferry from Dockyard back to Hamilton for the summer 2011's first of Harbour Nights. It was a specially added schedule because of the Festival. We had no problems at all. They had additional later ferry times to return at 9:30 pm & 10:00pm. We left earlier at 8:30 or 9:00 pm (I don't remember exactly). Again, no problem getting on and having a seat. It was a nice ride. We used a 1 day $12 pass all day. We did not use public transportation the rest of the days only because we wanted to ride scooters.

Everyone we encounter, customs, drivers, info. desk greeters, even locals sitting next to us on the bus were more than pleasant and very happy to help and offer advise.

It is a beautiful island. Have a wonderful trip!!

We were in Bermuda the same time as Chris and no problems with either the bus or ferry transportation...

We took the bus both ways from the Dockyard to Horshoe Bay..it was crowded getting there, as expected.

Getting back some of us were asked to not get on the #7 bus by a dispatcher and wait for a second bus that was a minute behind...no problems for us but the complaints from some of the from passengers were unbeleivable..The second bus appeared immediately and we were taken back to the Dockyard stopping only for requests...

Cruisers should stop the "I have to be first" attitude..:mad:

We saw pushing and shoving to get on one ferry that was totally uncalled for..The ferries can accommodate 200 + passengers. The ferry employees assured everyone there was more than enough room for everyone and to slow down..There was ridiculous and totally rude behavior by some cruisers. Very embarrassing..

Getting back some of us were asked to not get on the #7 bus by a dispatcher and wait for a second bus that was a minute behind...no problems for us but the complaints from some of the from passengers were unbeleivable..The second bus appeared immediately and we were taken back to the Dockyard stopping only for requests...

Cruisers should stop the "I have to be first" attitude..:mad:

We saw pushing and shoving to get on one ferry that was totally uncalled for..The ferries can accommodate 200 + passengers. The ferry employees assured everyone there was more than enough room for everyone and to slow down..There was ridiculous and totally rude behavior by some cruisers. Very embarrassing..

Hi, Rich! I totally agree! It was embarassing how some people act. I was remembering watching the Royal Wedding a couple of weeks ago and the news announcers commenting how polite and patient the 10's of thousands of people in the streets walking toward Buckingham Palace were. It was amazing to see. Then there's a hundred or so going to a ferry that all but stampede someone with a cane.

I really hope the water temperture will be a little bit warmer in three weeks. 65 degrees is way to cold for me.

Water will warm up and should be quite nice for your trip. Bermudians do not typically swim before May 24th due to the chilly temp of the water before then.

dwardlaw, where are you in Milton? We are just off Robbins Street, ran across you looking at info for Port Liberty.

We're Celebrity Cruisers, 10 since "04. Looking at the Silhouette out of Port Liberty.

We're a 50ish couple, kids gone, love cruising.

Take Care,

Louis and Margo

aka Luigi and The Lovely Margo!!!!!!!!!

Hey we are in East Milton off Grainte Ave. We are living with our 3 grandchildren and they are cruising with us. First time with children

Sorry to hear about your experience. Wish there were a way I could buy those tokens and the pass from you so you would not get stuck with them. Do you work in DC?

Hi Charles,

We actually live in Fredericksburg, VA- BUT my mom works in Bethesda at NIH. I'd be happy to get them to someone who could use them. My e-mail is melissa.beaty08@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Bubbletoes- I did make mention to my husband that this is the first vacation where I went with his "island" mentality (he grew up in the Cayman Islands). I usually have a spreadsheet chock full of schedules, times, and on and on. This time I figured, with my son, it'd be better to go with the flow... In the end we really did have a relaxed cruise, but I couldn't help but point out how my flow charts might have helped. ;)

HI,

I'm going to be in Bermuda on Saturday July 23rd for the day - coming in on Royal Carribean Explorer - planning on taking the # 7 bus to horseshoe bay for the day - Can i buy a token for the bus on the ship? or is it outside?

also, if the ship is leaving at 5p what time do u suggest i leave the beach to assure i'm back in time?

Thanks,

lisa

HI,

I'm going to be in Bermuda on Saturday July 23rd for the day - coming in on Royal Carribean Explorer - planning on taking the # 7 bus to horseshoe bay for the day - Can i buy a token for the bus on the ship? or is it outside?

also, if the ship is leaving at 5p what time do u suggest i leave the beach to assure i'm back in time?

Thanks,

lisa

You buy the the tokens after you get off the ship (you'll need two tokens per person...one each for the outbound and return bus trips).

The ship will advise you what the latest "all aboard" time is. Typically for a 5pm sailing you must be on board by 4:30 pm BUT...do not rely on my word...make sure you check on and abide by the information provided on the ship.

Buses coming back from Horseshoe Bay can get quite crowded with passengers who need to get back to a departing ship. I'd leave the beach no later than 2 or 2:30 in case you have to wait for a bus. If you get back to Dockyard early you can always check out the shops there.

Archived