Luggage Questions

cntwait2cruz

We are going to be cruising on the Spirit to Alaska 9/3/05 and I have a few questions about luggage handling.

I've been told different things by different people and need some clarity. Some say to lock your luggage and others say not to. If you use the locks on your luggage will the airline/cruise ship break the locks to search the luggage or have you open it for them? I have nightmare visions of the luggage handlers rifling through my bag and invading my privacy :eek:

Anyone have experience with this??

Also as this is really my first major vacation in over 10 years I am needing new luggage....what we have now is well over 15 years old and needing replaced desperately...It's ok for a hotel overnight where no one will see it kinda thing but don't think it would stand up to the punishment of a flight and cruise handling! :) Any one got any good suggestions on brands or preferance to soft side versus hard side??? Best buy for my money???

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

Happy Cruising!

The airlines insist that your luggage be unlocked unless you have the new special locks that can be opened by the baggage inspectors. As far as I know you can lock them before turning them in at the pier,

Try ebags.com they have some great luggage deals. Also you can purchase the TSA locks on their site. I used the TSA locks for the first time in November when I went from Florida to Hawaii, Las Vegas and back, did not have a problem at any airport, one thing I had to do when the inspectors put the luggage through the screening was to tell them they were TSA locks as they did not know just by looking at them (which they should) so be sure to mention this. They also sell the kind that lets you know if your luggage was open and inspected.

Hope this helps!

You definitely can not lock your bags for the airlines. but you can lock if you wish before you give your bags to the baggage handlers. But if you really have anything that you don't want stolen I would not put it in a bag to begin with. Truthfully the bag handlers for the ships don't have time to look in peoples luggage. They go on a cart, our wheeled over to the cargo hold of the ship, pulled in, unloaded, put in an elevator and then delivered at your door. The ships are dealing with so much luggage, they don't have time to look at anyones.

Any one got any good suggestions on brands or preferance to soft side versus hard side??? Best buy for my money???

Happy Cruising!

Boy, there are some great luggage sales going on right now. From personal experience, I prefer the soft-sided luggage. We bought some Atlantic pieces a few years ago that strap together and are a joy to push/pull around.

Adele

You can find the TSA locks at Target for $7.00.

I bought a great set of luggage on QVC (they sell the TSA locks also) Delsey Helium, Very, Very light, which is important with the pound restrictions. The 4 pieces weigh as much as one of those large bottles ot laundry det.(the ones with the spout) They had the best price, looked everywhere on line. Under $200.00 for 4 pcs:eek: You can buy the set on line on their website.

I agree with the advice given here, and would just add that light weight and wheels can be important since some cruise lines now allow you to carry your own luggage off the ship. This is a great help if you have an early flight or want access to your bags during the last night of the cruise.

In one of the general threads they suggest using plastic ties (the kind that can't be undone). If the TSA wants to search the bag they can cut them off. Apparently, if they do they will replace the ties. Not as secure as a lock, but would discourage the casual thief.

The discussion was that some TSA agents won't be bothered with getting the keys for TSA approved locks and just cut the lock off.

This may sound odd...I'm not sure. I went into AAA today to get some travelers checks and they had some of the best prices I've seen anywhere on great luggage! I thought the stuff I got at Macy's for 85% off was a good deal. I'm half tempted to take the stuff I bought back and go to AAA and buy one of the sets they had. Perhaps it's just the one here in my area, but it's definetly a good option for anyone looking for last minute cruise gear :)

Here's a tip for FINDING your luggage.

We went on the Spirit last year and put colored duct tape on the sides of the bags to help identify them at the airports. Seems everyones luggage is black and all looks the same these days.

When we got off the ship and went to retrieve our luggage I had to go through rows & rows to find ours. They stand everything up in the pick up area so you can't really see the sides. Next time I will put tape on the TOP and HANDLE to identify it at a distance.

We left ours unlocked for the plane, locked for the cruise portion.

What ever you do with the luggage you'll have a GREAT time on the Spirit. She's a beautiful ship and Alaska is GREAT!

I AM SHARING FROM PAST EXPERIENCE. WE WERE ON THE NCL WIND SEVERAL YEARS AGO ON A HAWAIIAN CRUISE. THE LUGGAGE WAS STILL BEING LOADED AFTER WE HAD GONE ABOARD. MUCH TO OUR HORROR, WE ENCOUNTERED LUGGAGE HANDLERS PITCHING LUGGAGE PIECES FROM INSIDE OF THE ELEVATOR TO SAVE TIME. WE TOOK A PHOTO OF THE LUGGAGE HEAP PILED HIGH IN THE HALLWAY. WE LATER SENT THE PHOTO TO THE CD AND FILED A COMPLAINT EVEN THOUGH OUR LUGGAGE LUCKILY HAD NOT BEEN DAMAGED FROM THE ROUGH HANDLING. HE SENT US A PLATEFUL OF SANDWICHES AS APPRECIATION FOR LETTING HIM KNOW. OF COURSE, WE DON'T KNOW IF THE PROBLEM GOT RECTIFIED.

I WOULD SUGGEST TAKING LUGGAGE THAT IS MORE DURABLE AND ADD A STRAP AROUND IT TO PREVENT IT FALLING APART OR OPENING WHEN THROWN. ....AND WE THOUGHT THE AIRLINES ARE HARD ON LUGGAGE! :eek:

You should definitely NOT put yellow duct tape on your black luggage. Use some other color. I've been using yellow for years and can spot my luggage from a long distance. It works like a charm but if everyone else did the same then I couldn't spot mine.

It's like a few years ago Dear Abby suggested putting something on your radio antenna so you could find your car at the mall. Soon half the cars had something on their antennas.

Seriously though I'm something of a luggage junky. Can't resist a good deal. My suggestions are: Buy good quality but don't spend too much. The real cheap stuff just doesn't hold up. On the other hand if you travel a lot even the best will get beat up and worn. The most rugged is the Samosonite hardside but it weighs a lot even empty. Be sure it has wheels and you can piggyback another bag. My wife is a small woman but she can easily manage two bags hooked together. Nesting bags can be handy when cabin storage space is limited. Also we usually take an extra soft bag packed in our luggage just in case.

We don't lock our bags. The locks only stop honest people.

• It was either the Wind or the Sea where we saw luggage being loaded onto the ship as an Olympic sport. Amazing the distance they can get with full sized luggage. :eek:
  • DW hand painted daisies on our luggage (with help from 3 year old grandson). Multi-colored tape on all handles. Bright colored luggage straps around the midsection. On one cruise we disembarked and found all of our luggage placed together. :D
  • The least expensive luggage generally has the cheapest wheels. Also the sides are generally not reinforced. If only the corners are reinforced we have found that they become worn and unusable after just a few flights/cruises. Check out the manufacture of the very best luggage and you will see the difference. Find the least expensive with similar wheels and complete reinforced sides.
  • Stackability (OK I make up some of my words) is a definite plus. With practice you can have one large suitcase, one small, and one small duffle pulled on each side. DW does all (and I mean all) of the packing. When we are traveling, I do all of the schlepping (real word) while she handles the paperwork...passports, tickets, etc.

Charlie

Boy and I thought deciding what excursions to take was a hard choice.....I'm thinking buying a house would be easier then luggage!!! :eek:

Seriously though I appreciate all the good suggestions and am doing a little surfing today to see about luggage. Wish me luck!

Most of the responses here refer to not locking luggage, because of the airline regulations. What about NCL's regs? I am driving to the ship, so no airline involved. Does NCL have any regs that specify that your luggage can't be locked when embarking?

• 3 weeks later...

:)We purchased luggage yesterday at Penney's. Great product; six pieces; originally $300 - and we walked out of the door for a grand total of $99. I don't know how long the sale is on, but it is worth a peek if you have time. I wouldn't dare put duct tape on soft side luggage for fear that the residue would always be there!! Any suggestions for removal of the sticky goo??

Good luck, and have a great time - how can you not on a cruise???

We have the duffle style with wheels, Mom has the giant soft side rectangle type also with wheels. On the Spirit, we shoved all the duffels under the bed, Mom's big rectangle needed to be posed decoratively in the corner, it was too tall to go under the bed, and took up too much space in the closet. Just a thought. We put the cameras and anything else we were worried about in the overnight duffle (it has wheels too) and just rolled it on with us.:)

Ever since the TSA started insisting on unlocked bags (for flights), I've been using cable ties. I've given up using the locks on my bags. In addition, I use a colorful luggage strap to help identify the bag.

What good are TSA locks? I'm sure every thief already has a TSA key ;)

Actually come to think of it... I don't think very much is going to keep people out of your luggage.

Another thing to try are plastic colored cable ties - you can buy a pack at Home Depot for ~5.00 for 200.

Archived