HELP!! Sick Mom! Can I get insurance??

ritaly

My cruise is this October and my 85 year old mother just had a life threatening heart attack. GOOD NEWS :) is she has been released from the hospital after a one week stay and the insertion of a stent and is doing well. I was going to purchase insurance once I made final payment, which will be in June, but now I'm afraid I won't qualify because of her heart condition. My intention is to go on the cruise right now, but what if something should happen to her again closer to trip time or if she gets sicker and I'm not comfortable. I know many of us have elderly parents and I want to be able to plan a vacation BUT I could never go away if she were in the hospital and would want to come home if she got sick during my cruise. One insurance company I talked to essentially told me I was out of luck...is this true?? Can I get insurance to cover me? When should I get it and what kind? I know I can't be the only one with this kind of situation....I need some advise from you insurance experts..its very confusing trying to sort it all out. Thanks for any information or experiences.

Thank you for your responses. Daydreamer......I made my deposit more than 14 days ago so I guess pre-exisiting wouldn't be available....unless I were to cancel this cruise and then wait see how she's doing then if she is stable just rebook a cruise and get insurance at the time of booking. Would that work????? I just find it hard to believe that those of us with aging parents who have had health problems like strokes, heart attacks (not that uncommon at 85 years of age) can't go on cruises and get insurance. Is that what you're saying Bob?

CSA Pro Freestyle Lux will waive pre existing conditions IF both items are met

1. Insurance is purchased prior to final payment AND

2. Person is medically able to travel at the time of purchasing the insurance so if she is well now I would buy the insurance ASAP but check before purchasing if you would be covered. Don't hide anything and get it in print.

I just find it hard to believe that those of us with aging parents who have had health problems like strokes, heart attacks (not that uncommon at 85 years of age) can't go on cruises and get insurance. Is that what you're saying Bob?

No, but in the future if you book a cruise, get insurance w/in the 14/21 day period after deposit and with most insurance (again, get in print and read carefully), a 'pre existing' condition that your mother has will be covered should you need to cancel.

Keep trying the various insurance companies. And ask your mom's cardiac rehabilitation team for reccomendations. There will be companies out there who will give you insurance but they will cost.

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, mom had major heart surgery unexpectely then needed insurance. It took a while but we found it. ( By using a list provided by her cardiac team) So don't give up hope.

Thank you for the help! I will speak first to the cardio team and then very frankly with some insurance companies. My mother will not be cruising, my main concern is if she should have a problem before my cruise in Oct and I feel I need to cancel for myself and husband.

I will read everything very carefully before I buy insurance and be very upfront in dealing with them. After reading the boards, it seems insuremytrip is a good place to start. Will they send me the contract before I get the insurance?

You will be able to read the policies online and ask questions before you purchase. I don't know why you would need to speak with your mom's doctors about this; I am actually surprised that any doctors had a list of trip insurance companies, as mentioned by the other poster. The doctors I work with don't even understand the medical insurance carried by their patients, let alone trip insurance.

Am not sure if you would be able to cancel and rebook so you can purchase insurance and be covered for a "pre-existing condition", as this seems a bit like insurance fraud, and you really don't want to go there.

I am actually surprised that any doctors had a list of trip insurance companies, as mentioned by the other poster. The doctors I work with don't even understand the medical insurance carried by their patients, let alone trip insurance.

The poster is from Wales. The travel insurance situation is very different over there. Here in the US there's no medical pre-screening of pre-existing conditions prior to issuance of a policy -- meet the stated terms of the policy (buy within 14 - 21 days, etc) and you're good to go. Over there the insurer can and will ask for your complete medical history prior to issuing the policy. I imagine the doctors eventually figure out those insurers that are more likely to issue a policy to those with a certain health concern.

Per the previous poster's suggestion I would check with CSA travel insurance for their policy that covers pre-existing conditions. You may be able to find coverage through them if you have not made your final payment.

I hope everything works out for you and your mom. Good luck!

Per the patseacruiser's suggestion I would check with CSA travel insurance for their policy that covers pre-existing conditions. You may be able to find coverage through them if you have not made your final payment.

Per the patseacruiser's suggestion I would check with CSA travel insurance for their policy that covers pre-existing conditions. You may be able to find coverage through them if you have not made your final payment.

AARGH! I hate it when it doesn't post, and later it does!

Hi

My traveling partner found out last week she has a few problems. One is she is quit sick. The doctors think she probably has cancer and surgery will probably be recomanded. Along with that she just just diagnosed with Epistien Barr virus. She is contiguous. That could be a huge problem for me. Due to my health I do not have a very good immune system. I could catch this from picking up a glass in the room by mistake. I would also fear the room steward or others could also be infected. I am very carful where I go and make sure no one has a cold as that can cause me to have a problem. I did get insurance for both of us and she is having the doctors siign them now. I am on the June 10th cruise, This has all happened in the last week. I will be going on cruise. I purchsed the CSA (top ont) for both of us. One of the problems is I am in one state and she lives in another and now she is seeing doctors in another state as she drove her dad up north. She is seeing ddoctors in this state but will fly home for surgery probably next week

hoping I will get mymoney back. I did pay for her fare

• 1 month later...
Hi

My traveling partner found out last week she has a few problems. One is she is quit sick. The doctors think she probably has cancer and surgery will probably be recomanded. Along with that she just just diagnosed with Epistien Barr virus. She is contiguous. That could be a huge problem for me. Due to my health I do not have a very good immune system. I could catch this from picking up a glass in the room by mistake. I would also fear the room steward or others could also be infected. I am very carful where I go and make sure no one has a cold as that can cause me to have a problem. I did get insurance for both of us and she is having the doctors siign them now. I am on the June 10th cruise' date=' This has all happened in the last week. I will be going on cruise. I purchsed the CSA (top ont) for both of us. One of the problems is I am in one state and she lives in another and now she is seeing doctors in another state as she drove her dad up north. She is seeing ddoctors in this state but will fly home for surgery probably next week

hoping I will get mymoney back. I did pay for her fare[/quote']

Are you saying that your traveling partner has a very contagious virus? If that is the case, why would you want to subject other passengers to possibly catching it? While I know you want to cruise, and my heart goes out to you and your partner, what about the other passengers on board? Is this how a virus epidemic onboard ship starts. :eek:

Are you saying that your traveling partner has a very contagious virus? If that is the case, why would you want to subject other passengers to possibly catching it? While I know you want to cruise, and my heart goes out to you and your partner, what about the other passengers on board? Is this how a virus epidemic onboard ship starts. :eek:

Did you note the poster to whom you are responding left on her cruise on 10 June? Hopefully, as Epstein Barr is extremely contagious, she and her friend cancelled this cruise; as she had purchased insurance for both of them, she should have gotten her money back.

Would be interesting to know what happened. If she just cancelled for her friend, and she went, was she charged the single supplement?

Archived