Haines

HiMagicFan

Anyone know about Haines?

I am thinking of taking the ferry to Haines fr Skagway and return. The first ferry is at 8am and I plan to return at 1pm. Our ship is supposed to dock at 7am.

a) can I catch the ferry in time? someone said the docks and ferry are kinda close to each other but i can't make it out on the map I have. Is it walkable distance?

b) I don't know anything about Haines ~ what is recommended for a timeframe of about 9am to 12 noon? I want to be back in plenty of time to catch the 1pm return to Skagway.

Please help...cant find any good information. TIA

Last year, we positively had to catch the 6:45 ferry to make it to a Yukon tour I had planned. I was worried whether the ship would indeed be in at 6:30, and whether I had to go too far to catch the ferry. A lot of needless worry. After planning all manner of talking to the crew when we boarded and getting a more exact arrival time, etc., someone suggesting calling the fast ferry to see if I could get tickets. I told the lady on the phone what my concerns were, and she assured me that we would be in time since the ship had reserved half of the 6:45 ferry! The ferry is on the same dock as the ship, so it is simply across a wide dock and down a ramp -- two minutes maybe three.

I would go online or call the fast ferry and get your tickets though.

Last year, we positively had to catch the 6:45 ferry to make it to a Yukon tour I had planned. I was worried whether the ship would indeed be in at 6:30, and whether I had to go too far to catch the ferry. A lot of needless worry. After planning all manner of talking to the crew when we boarded and getting a more exact arrival time, etc., someone suggesting calling the fast ferry to see if I could get tickets. I told the lady on the phone what my concerns were, and she assured me that we would be in time since the ship had reserved half of the 6:45 ferry! The ferry is on the same dock as the ship, so it is simply across a wide dock and down a ramp -- two minutes maybe three.

I would go online or call the fast ferry and get your tickets though.

Duh, why didn't I think to call?! Cuz you guys are the best when it comes to information! So thanks. Will give them a call and also check on the tickets...never thought the ship would have reserved the ferry. Good to know.

What are you doing for only 3 hours in Haines?

HaHaHa:D

I figured I had already seen Skagway (or most of it) and we have fr 7:30a until 7:30p so give it a try.

I only came upon it doing research on other things to do in Skagway and the ferry information popped up. It seemed that I could do this (even if it is to just walk around town) for 3 or so hours instead of spending all that time in Skagway.

We had already done the train/dog sled trips the last time.

Do you have suggestions? Is this a bad idea? or I should just get a spa on the ship:D I was kinda hoping to see something other than Skagway but kinda on my own. So...still researching.

If you have until 7.30pm why not stay in Haines longer? I really think it is worth more than just 3 hours. You will be heading back to Skagway before you know it. Stay until late afternoon. You won't regret it. Otherwise, skip going altogether and just use the time wisely in/near Skagway.

Archived