Disney Ground Transfers (MCO to Ship) - What's Included?

TrojanJulez

Hello!

We will be sailing on the Fantasy (Western Caribbean) in September 2012, and we have booked Disney ground transfers at $35/person each way. I'm pretty sure we want to keep them, because we'll be traveling with a 2-year old for the first time, and Disney makes everything so streamlined. However, since they are so expensive, can anyone tell me what is included? I read somewhere that when we check our bags at our local airport, Disney takes care of them for the rest of the time. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Yes, they will handle all the bags. You'll be transported via motorcoach to the cruise terminal. There is a video that will play. That's about it. It's not like they greet you with Champagne if that's what you're asking.

Hello!

We will be sailing on the Fantasy (Western Caribbean) in September 2012, and we have booked Disney ground transfers at $35/person each way. I'm pretty sure we want to keep them, because we'll be traveling with a 2-year old for the first time, and Disney makes everything so streamlined. However, since they are so expensive, can anyone tell me what is included? I read somewhere that when we check our bags at our local airport, Disney takes care of them for the rest of the time. Is that correct?

Thanks!

You are correct. Before you leave for the airport, you put the special luggage tags that Disney sent you on all your checked luggage. When you get to Orlando, you go straight to the DCL area in the airport. There will be greeters directing you. You then hop on the DCL motor coach and go to the cruise terminal. You won't see your checked luggage again until some time in the afternoon. It will show up at your cabin door. Be sure to pack a carry-on. Make sure you have all your meds and maybe bathing suits and a change of clothes. It is worth every penny of whatever they charge. :D

The one big thing it comes with is reassurance if your taxi breaks down they won't hold the ship, if your Disney bus breaks down or gets stuck in traffic etc. They will hold the ship and that's worth every penny

Let's be reasonable though.

We live about 90 minutes from the port. We'll be driving. We'll leave early enough that even if we have a flat or a breakdown or run into traffic, we'll still have plenty of time to get there.

As long as you aren't trying to arrive at MCO at 2:00pm, you'll have time to deal with obstacles. And face it, if you are flying in that day you could just as easily have a problem with a cancelled flight or having to make an emergency landing after someone has a heart attack during the flight that delays you two or more hours getting into Orlando.

If the cab breaks down, they radio the cab company and another is sent. It's under an hour from MCO to the Port, so worst case scenario is you're delayed 75 minutes--the time it takes for a replacement cab to arrive and your bags to be transferred.

You can plan all you want, but the only things for sure in this world are death and taxes.

In my opinion, DCL transfers are very expensive for larger parties. Once you have five passengers it can be less expensive to take a cab or car service. Keep in mind that you pay the same price for a van cab that will carry eight passengers as a regular cab. And a car service will often make a quick stop at a grocery or liquor store for you if you'd like to pick up some soda or booze on the way as long as you ask in advance when you book.

Another advantage for us in my last DCL transfer ride was that they gave us #6 boarding number at the airport (didn't understand why they gave me at that time). When arriving at the cruise terminal, we were given another boarding number (#17 or #18) when we're in queue. After we're done with check-in they called #6 and we boarded immediately. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it is still the same process now.

We just used the DCL transfers in March and I would do it again in the future. I was traveling with my mom and my 2 kids. We put our DCL tags on our luggage at our home airport and checked all of our bags. We didn't see them again until that evening when they showed up outside our stateroom door. I LOVED not having to deal with all of our bags in the MCO airport. Trying to reign in my two children is tricky enough at times without having to worry about pulling all of our suitcases as well.. That alone makes it worth it for me.

We waited in line and checked in at the airport. Our flight arrived at 10:30 or so. It took us a while to get to the transfer desk due to a bathroom break and a little detour (got a little lost in the airport). We checked in and were given our bus tickets (you are assigned a character and must wait for that particular bus, we didn't wait long, maybe 15-20 minutes.) When we got to the cruise terminal, we went through security and walked right no the ship- no lines or anything. It was great.

What's nice is that you can do your cruise check-in at the Cruise line Transportation Desk at the airport which saves time waiting in line at the terminal. We did it with our almost 2 year old and she loved watching the video on the way there. For us it was worth the cost... We then took the transportation after from the port to our Disney resort and that went smoothly as well.

Hello!

Thanks!

are you flying in the day of the cruise from California?

Flying in the day before would definitely be the thing to do.

you will wake up the day of your cruise all refreshed and not dragging from being up sonce early morning.

We live on the east coast and fly in the day before and stay at an airport hotel and grab the shuttle in the morning.

The Hyatt has a hotel in the airport which i believe also take your bags for you if you are on the Disney cruise.

Bill

You can't get to the port early enough flying in from California the day of. It's a six hour non-stop to MCO, and the earliest flight is around 6:00 am PST (9:00 am EST) so you wouldn't get to MCO until 3:00pm EST and then you've still got to get to the ship.

I don't think anyone offers a non-stop red eye.

I don't see how the OP is going to be able to fly in and have DCL take care of her bags start to finish, because she's going to have to arrive the day before. With the time zone difference, her ONLY option that would allow DCL to handle her bags start to finish would be a red eye which would require a layover someplace, most likely IAH, PHX, or ATL.

Her best bet would probably be to fly out of California the morning before, arriving dinner time in Orlando. Book a room at the Hyatt at the airport and DCL will take her bags from her room the next morning and handle them from that point on. They just need to go downstairs to the cruise line check-in to catch the bus the next morning.

Thank you for the advice! Disney has said that they typically offer a red-eye from California, although it is too early to select flights yet. We'll see how it goes! We stayed in the hotel in MCO before our Disney Wonder cruise, and that was a great way to do it, too. With my work schedule, though, the red-eye will be much better for us. Thanks!

Thank you for the advice! Disney has said that they typically offer a red-eye from California, although it is too early to select flights yet. We'll see how it goes! We stayed in the hotel in MCO before our Disney Wonder cruise, and that was a great way to do it, too. With my work schedule, though, the red-eye will be much better for us. Thanks!

Both DL and AA currently offer red-eyes from LAX to MCO. United has had them in the past. I don't think there are currently any red-eyes from Northern California.

We took a red-eye from LAX to a cruise in Miami many years ago and it was big mistake. Of course, the cruise was only a 3 day, so by the time we recovered, we were ready to go home. Left Thursday after work and were back to work on Monday. We called it the cruise for lifestyles of the rich and stupid! (Although, the cast was actually very reasonable). -- Suzanne

US Airways used to offer a redeye from SFO but it stopped someplace along the way--I think CLT or PHL. I'm not sure if they still do, because after doing that once, we said we wouldn't do it again.

I'm all through with redeyes myself. Going to WDW from No. CA means leaving in the evening, transferring in LAX, DFW or DEN then arriving dead-tired in the morning. While trying to add a day to our vacation, we ruin that same day by being tired all day.

Now it's fly in the day before, arrive in the evening, stay at the Airport Hyatt or shuttle over to the Marriott then take the Magical Express over to the DVC resort in the morning checking in early to get a good room.

I'm all through with redeyes myself. Going to WDW from No. CA means leaving in the evening, transferring in LAX, DFW or DEN then arriving dead-tired in the morning. While trying to add a day to our vacation, we ruin that same day by being tired all day.

Now it's fly in the day before, arrive in the evening, stay at the Airport Hyatt or shuttle over to the Marriott then take the Magical Express over to the DVC resort in the morning checking in early to get a good room.

Yes the night/day before is a good idea. were travelling morning before didn't want to risk it, were heading to a WDW resort starting the magic we got a theme park view room going to catch the fireworks a character dinner have a good nights sleep (well we'll try too excited) and be fresh and ready for our cruise!

Another service you get if you use their transfers is Onboard Check-in. If you are flying out the day you disembark (I think your flight has to be after 11:30) and are flying on a participating airline, they will take care of your luggage then, too. They check you in, give you your boarding passes and send your luggage to your home airport. After you put your bags outside your door the night before you leave, you don't see them again until you get home. You get off the ship and go straight to customs. No searching for your bags in the terminal. This is worth its weight in gold, IMHO.

What if our flight out of MCO doesn't leave until 8PM...does Disney just take us to the airport in the AM? Do we have other options?

If you want to use DCL transfers, you get taken to the airport in the morning. Otherwise you can rent a car near the port and drive yourselves. This allows you to go to the beach, shopping, a theme park, etc.

Archived