Shortie wet suit buying?

Bowie MeMe

Going to Galapagos Islands for 7 days. The cruise boat has shortie wet suits for guest use but I am afraid that they will not fit my 5 foot 5 and 230 pound figure. (you don't know how hard it was to type that but I really need the help:o) I have mask (RX prescription from 5 years ago) and vest. I will use flippers from ship.

1. Do they make shorties for this shortie?

2. I am used to swimming in warm water (special therapy pool) so think I will find 60/70 degree water cool -- will I really find the shortie makes a big difference?

3. If I decide to buy my own (little bit of a control freak here but I hate when equipment does not fit me because of my weight) how much would I expect to pay? How long to order one? (leaving August) and just how should I choose a wet suit.

4. How difficult is it to "don" a wet suit? (Images of sausage stuffing)

I am mobile but arthritic/stiff on land. In the water I am like a graceful seal:p

Thanks guys/gals. Snorkeling is one of the things I like best about this trip. The ship holds 32 people and is Qasar M/V Evolution.

Are you diving or snorkeling? If you are saying that the water temp will be between 60 and 70, I would need more than a shortie! For diving I would wear at least a 5mm full suit with gloves and a hood.

You can check your local dive shop for wet suits. we get out equipment from Leisure Pro, either online or go to NYC to their showroom. They have a large variety of wetsuits and I find their pricing to be good. I prefer to try wetsuits on rather because they all fit differently. I am 5'10", 150 lbs so I have issues with length. we are closer to NYC than you but it may be well worth the trip for you. Their showroom is closed on Saturdays but open Sunday thru Friday.

Thanks for the idea. We will snorkel and GI has a current that is cooler in August than it is in April or so. Equator but still some variation in the water temp month to month.

I agree with the suggestion to visit a local dive shop and try on suits for a proper fit. Fit is the most important detail in a good wetsuit.I would definitely consider a full suit for 60-70 degree water---I need a hood and gloves for 60 degrees.I really like the new "hyperstretch" material to get a very good fit and ease of putting the suit on and taking it off.I use Neosport and Henderson wetsuits.They cost a little more but you get what you pay for in dive equipment.Have a great trip.

DH and I both purchased a 2XL (men's) 3mm Aqualite Neoprene spring wetsuit. Fit is fairly good and it is very stretchy material. It was so hot today that even in ac store was sweating big time.

I like everything about the suit except the long pieces of tough velcro that seem to catch on the suit and make it extremely hard to pull away from the lining of the suit. This is to close the neck top and another strip is to lock the zipper in place. :rolleyes: I'm thinking of taking the scissors to these long strips of velcro -- any opinions on this? For reference we paid $80 for the shorties.

Any tips for putting on these suits easily and any tips on care for the suits? Think I will be happy to have my own and not have to worry about the fit of boat provided short suits.

OK admittedly maybe my one alloted dumb question for the day. Does the zipper go in the back or the front? I put it on both ways and it was not particularly ill fitting either way. Zipper does have a long zipper pull which the teenage clerk says is for you to pull the zipper up BACK but it is easier to deal with the neck closure in the front. Design and decoration not definative and nothing in the hang tag shows how to put the suit on. TIA for not laughing if I am wearing the suit backwards:D

OK admittedly maybe my one alloted dumb question for the day. Does the zipper go in the back or the front? I put it on both ways and it was not particularly ill fitting either way. Zipper does have a long zipper pull which the teenage clerk says is for you to pull the zipper up BACK but it is easier to deal with the neck closure in the front. Design and decoration not definative and nothing in the hang tag shows how to put the suit on. TIA for not laughing if I am wearing the suit backwards:D

If the suit has velcro closers and a pull tab on the zipper, I would think it is a back zip model.Most of my suits are back zips and just usually ask someone to help me with the zipper when putting the suit on----I can unzip it myself.

As far as care of the suit, I just wash mine out with fresh water and let it dry.You can buy "sink the stink" and other products if necessary.Doing deep dives most every weekend I drink lots of Gatorade to stay hydrated and prevent DCS.What goes in must come out so yep, I pee in the suit.I never have a problem just taking the hose to the suit and letting it dry.If on a cruise just use the shower or tub and take up on the deck to dry.

Now you know what goes on with rental wet suits!!!!!!

So glad I bought my own suit! Thanks for the advice Dive Master. I swear I did not think of nature calls before buying. I obsessed over where to "p" in Africa on safari and of course behind a bush was the answer. I guess here it is behind a wave. :D

One way to make a full wetsuit much easier to pull on is to wear a diveskin under it. That extra layer, even though very thin, also helps keep your body temperature up. I have seen other people spray dish detergent into the suit to get it on, but I never have a problem using the diveskin.

FYI, liquid fabric softners work great as wetsuit cleaners. They do a good of removing the smell, they aren't too harsh on the neoprene, they're inexpensive (as opposed to commercial wetsuit cleaners), and it's easy to pack a small bottle of it for traveling.

Just remember, there are 2 types of divers.....those that pee in their wetsuits and those that admit to it.

Archived