Free beach in Falmouth, walk or cab ride??

WeLove2CruiseRCI

If there has already been a thread about this I apologize for starting a new. I searched and didn't find one.

We will be in Falmouth in November for our honeymoon on the Oasis. Would love info on a beach that is within either walking distance or a short cab ride, that is free, rather than doing an excursion to get to a beach. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

According to a "live" review being posted on the Royal Caribbean board right now by Radio, the closest free beach is 15 miles away (see page 19 of the review).

My group will be heading to Time N Place, which is less than 2 miles from the port. But they charge $10 per person, so that may not be what you are looking for.

According to a "live" review being posted on the Royal Caribbean board right now by Radio, the closest free beach is 15 miles away (see page 19 of the review).

My group will be heading to Time N Place, which is less than 2 miles from the port. But they charge $10 per person, so that may not be what you are looking for.

Thank you. $10 pp is fine, it's cheap which is close to free. We would like to do a beach on our own, hoping for less people than on an excursion.

We just finished a cruise on Allure where we stopped in Falmouth. I arranged for Peat Taylor Tours to pick us up and take us to Doctor's Cave Beach and then Margaritaville afterwards.

He was great! It was $45 total per person and we were the first ones to leave the port! So we got out right away. We first got on a bus with a group from the ship that was headed to ocho rios and then we stopped and got into another van for our own private tour to Doctor's Cave Beach. It is a beautiful beach and has a $5 entry fee. Has good restaurants right on the beach and you can snorkel right off the beach too.

Peat Taylor was very nice and would highly recommend. I called him before our cruise to arrange but you can arrange on his website http://ochoriosjamaicatours.com. He got us back in plenty of time back to the ship as well. So no worries mon!

We just finished a cruise on Allure where we stopped in Falmouth. I arranged for Peat Taylor Tours to pick us up and take us to Doctor's Cave Beach and then Margaritaville afterwards.

He was great! It was $45 total per person and we were the first ones to leave the port! So we got out right away. We first got on a bus with a group from the ship that was headed to ocho rios and then we stopped and got into another van for our own private tour to Doctor's Cave Beach. It is a beautiful beach and has a $5 entry fee. Has good restaurants right on the beach and you can snorkel right off the beach too.

Peat Taylor was very nice and would highly recommend. I called him before our cruise to arrange but you can arrange on his website http://ochoriosjamaicatours.com. He got us back in plenty of time back to the ship as well. So no worries mon!

Thanks for the information! That is the beach that I have been trying to get the name of. Someone posted a pic on Royal's wall on FB months back and I knew from that pic that's where we wanted to go, but had since forgotten then name of it. Old age is a terrible thing!:eek:

Do you take a taxi to TIme and Place?

My understanding is that it is cheaper to arrange a shuttle from the port and back through Time n Place. You can register on their website (no charge up front).

Thanks for the information! That is the beach that I have been trying to get the name of. Someone posted a pic on Royal's wall on FB months back and I knew from that pic that's where we wanted to go, but had since forgotten then name of it. Old age is a terrible thing!:eek:

We have been to Doctor's Cave, and while the beach was gorgeous, they can keep the rest. All they have for beach chairs are horrid cloth deck chairs (no loungers at all) that cut into the back of your legs. I ended up just having to lay on a swim mat all day.

In addition, after having a "HUGE" buildup about the Jerk Calamari, it was the worst calamari my husband ever had. Service was horrid. After waiting over an hour for his order, hubby went to the restaurant himself to check, found the waitress smoking a joint, asked for his order, ice cold and greasy.

So again, beach was gorgeous, but would never go back.

Wow, it's amazing how different of an experience people can have. I hate that you had that experience because we didn't have that experience at all when we went to Doctor's Cave Beach. The chairs actually worked great for us. I thought they were good quality in my opinion.

My husband and I are in our thirties and my parent's, who joined us, are in their fifties. Us along with my parents thought Doctor's Cave Beach was beautiful and the service was great! (By the way, I am also highly opinionated when it comes to great service. I am over Customer Service where I work, so it's what I deal with all the time.)

We ate at the "The Dock" which was right off the beach and Kevin was our waiter. He was extremely polite and was very prompt. One time when there was a small delay, he apologized and explained how he was taking care of 3 tables at the restaurant and several people on the beach. You have to remember your on island time. Also, it's vacation, so we weren't in a hurry. We had the Jerk Chicken and it was fantastic! Never saw anyone smoking anything at the restaurant I was at.

Also, the people that brought out our chair and umbrella were very friendly. I did have 2 people ask if we wanted bracelets but we simply said no thank you, and they went on their way. So solicitation wasn't bad at all. I've seen it a lot worse at other places I've visited.

Our time at the Doctor's Cave beach was a great experience and the water was just as clear as the waters in St. Marteen. So, based on our experience, I would highly recommend this place.

Wow, it's amazing how different of an experience people can have. I hate that you had that experience because we didn't have that experience at all when we went to Doctor's Cave Beach. The chairs actually worked great for us. I thought they were good quality in my opinion.

My husband and I are in our thirties and my parent's, who joined us, are in their fifties. Us along with my parents thought Doctor's Cave Beach was beautiful and the service was great! (By the way, I am also highly opinionated when it comes to great service. I am over Customer Service where I work, so it's what I deal with all the time.)

We ate at the "The Dock" which was right off the beach and Kevin was our waiter. He was extremely polite and was very prompt. One time when there was a small delay, he apologized and explained how he was taking care of 3 tables at the restaurant and several people on the beach. You have to remember your on island time. Also, it's vacation, so we weren't in a hurry. We had the Jerk Chicken and it was fantastic! Never saw anyone smoking anything at the restaurant I was at.

Also, the people that brought out our chair and umbrella were very friendly. I did have 2 people ask if we wanted bracelets but we simply said no thank you, and they went on their way. So solicitation wasn't bad at all. I've seen it a lot worse at other places I've visited.

Our time at the Doctor's Cave beach was a great experience and the water was just as clear as the waters in St. Marteen. So, based on our experience, I would highly recommend this place.

You just never know. We have traveled all over the caribbean, so we have experienced many different beaches, restaurants, etc. Loved all of them from the food, people, experience, everything. Have been to jamaica 3 times (once for a week, and 2x on cruises) and just have never liked it. So we have decided next year on Oasis, if we cannot go to something like Breezes for the day, we will just stay on the ship and relax.

THANKS for the info beachbum09, I looked into the RCCL trip to Dunns falls and the beach, so you do recommend them? All I read about from Jamaica is horror stories, thanks for the input!

I have been to Jamaica twice now. Our 1st time was on our honeymoon and we stayed at a Sandals resort in Ocho Rios. We did the Dunn's River Falls and I recommend it. That was the highlight of our honeymoon and we had a blast. It was alot of fun. We actually wanted to do it again when we were stopped at Falmouth on our cruise but went with Doctors Cave Beach due to my parents wanting a good beach day, which as stated above was great too.

It always amazes me too on some of the horror stories you see on Jamaica. Both times we've been there have been positive experiences for us. The people we encountered both times have been extremely friendly.

I have heard about the soliciting of buying items at the top of the Dunn's River Falls at their shops. But when we did the falls we didn't mess with the shops and just went back to the bus because we don't really care about buying souveniors. Honestly, you get that anywhere you go it seems. I felt like I was hassled more when I was in Nassau and Cozumel than either time I was in Jamaica. But it didn't bother me in Nassau and Cozumel because I understand that it is their only way of making a living. So you can't blame them for trying. When you go to these countries it really makes you appreciate what you have.

My father was very reluctant as well about going to Jamaica after some of those stories he saw (even with us telling him how great a time we had on our honeymoon). As soon as we got back on the ship after our day in Jamaica, he said he loved everything about it and was glad he went out for the day. He is sold on Jamaica and thought everyone we encountered was great! :o He loved our tour guide from Peat Taylor Tours. We actually had his son, Re-Pete. He was extremely nice and accomodating.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Hope this helps! :)

I have been to Jamaica twice now. Our 1st time was on our honeymoon and we stayed at a Sandals resort in Ocho Rios. We did the Dunn's River Falls and I recommend it. That was the highlight of our honeymoon and we had a blast. It was alot of fun. We actually wanted to do it again when we were stopped at Falmouth on our cruise but went with Doctors Cave Beach due to my parents wanting a good beach day, which as stated above was great too.

It always amazes me too on some of the horror stories you see on Jamaica. Both times we've been there have been positive experiences for us. The people we encountered both times have been extremely friendly.

I have heard about the soliciting of buying items at the top of the Dunn's River Falls at their shops. But when we did the falls we didn't mess with the shops and just went back to the bus because we don't really care about buying souveniors. Honestly, you get that anywhere you go it seems. I felt like I was hassled more when I was in Nassau and Cozumel than either time I was in Jamaica. But it didn't bother me in Nassau and Cozumel because I understand that it is their only way of making a living. So you can't blame them for trying. When you go to these countries it really makes you appreciate what you have.

My father was very reluctant as well about going to Jamaica after some of those stories he saw (even with us telling him how great a time we had on our honeymoon). As soon as we got back on the ship after our day in Jamaica, he said he loved everything about it and was glad he went out for the day. He is sold on Jamaica and thought everyone we encountered was great! :o He loved our tour guide from Peat Taylor Tours. We actually had his son, Re-Pete. He was extremely nice and accomodating.

If you have any other questions, let me know. Hope this helps! :)

AWESOME news to hear! SOOOO glad to know some actually have a good time in Jamaica, like you. I am GLAD I saw your post as this guide is what I was looking for and reading your post made me feel better about Jamaica. Having NEVER been to Jamaica before I was a bit hesitant in heading off on our own. THANKS for posting!!!

Archived