Original 'Queen Mary' celebrates its history

jleq

Thanks, Jim, for sharing that link. I really wish I was going to be in California on that date. My first ocean voyage was on that ship. My how sailing has changed!!!!! Fortunately, I kept a diary on that voyage, so I have notes to remind me of the forgotten details of that adventure. Hopefully someone will post after the celebration. May the Queen Mary enjoy another 75 years!

My first ocean voyage was on that ship. My how sailing has changed!!!!! Fortunately, I kept a diary on that voyage, so I have notes to remind me of the forgotten details of that adventure.

Is your diary handy? I would be grateful if you could share with us your experience of sailing on the Queen Mary. :)

I just spent two nights on the Queen Mary and she was in surprisingly good condition considering her age!

The cabin was quite roomy, probably a similare square footage as the A cabins on the QM2 and the bathroom was bigger and had a tub as well as a shower.

The majority of other guests that I spoke to were from the UK so nostalgia must be a major part of its continuing success

Is your diary handy? I would be grateful if you could share with us your experience of sailing on the Queen Mary. :)

Your post encouraged me to re-read my diary of the crossing. I will share a few thoughts. According to my notes we arrived at the ship at 9 AM. In those days, you could invite guests on board before sail away. As we left New York, there were many people waving and throwing streamers. I was traveling with two college friends and this voyage was a way to get to London. There were three distinct classes at that time - first, cabin, and tourist. We were traveling in cabin class. We had a tiny inside cabin for the three of us. We had a lovely dining room and a delightful British waiter. I was very impressed with the food and the number of choices at each meal. We had breakfast at 9 AM, lunch at 1:30 PM and dinner at 8 PM. We ate each meal at the same table with "our" waiter. There were not a lot of organized activities. We enjoyed movies, shuffleboard, card games, and afternoon tea. We went to the gym and walked around the ship. We sat outside on the deck in lounge chairs. I believe we were assigned specific chairs for the voyage. The swimming pool was a bit of a disappointment because it was small and in a dark inside area of the ship. There was a tour of the galley during which we got to see both the first class dining room and the tourist class dining room. Evidently the tourist dining room was not as elegant as the other two. On the morning of the 6th day, we docked in Cherbourg, France. We were intrigued to see cars unloaded there. After the disembarking passengers left, we were allowed to spend four hours ashore. We returned to the ship and sailed to Southampton. We arrived there during dinner that night. The next morning, we disembarked. The three of us are still in contact. We would love to travel together on the QM2 and reminisce about our crossing.

Beth

Your post encouraged me to re-read my diary of the crossing. I will share a few thoughts. According to my notes we arrived at the ship at 9 AM. In those days, you could invite guests on board before sail away. As we left New York, there were many people waving and throwing streamers. I was traveling with two college friends and this voyage was a way to get to London. There were three distinct classes at that time - first, cabin, and tourist. We were traveling in cabin class. We had a tiny inside cabin for the three of us. We had a lovely dining room and a delightful British waiter. I was very impressed with the food and the number of choices at each meal. We had breakfast at 9 AM, lunch at 1:30 PM and dinner at 8 PM. We ate each meal at the same table with "our" waiter. There were not a lot of organized activities. We enjoyed movies, shuffleboard, card games, and afternoon tea. We went to the gym and walked around the ship. We sat outside on the deck in lounge chairs. I believe we were assigned specific chairs for the voyage. The swimming pool was a bit of a disappointment because it was small and in a dark inside area of the ship. There was a tour of the galley during which we got to see both the first class dining room and the tourist class dining room. Evidently the tourist dining room was not as elegant as the other two. On the morning of the 6th day, we docked in Cherbourg, France. We were intrigued to see cars unloaded there. After the disembarking passengers left, we were allowed to spend four hours ashore. We returned to the ship and sailed to Southampton. We arrived there during dinner that night. The next morning, we disembarked. The three of us are still in contact. We would love to travel together on the QM2 and reminisce about our crossing.

Beth

It sounds like a lot of fun.

• 2 months later...

My most thrilling moment at sea was in July 1966 aboard RMS Queen Elizabeth, westbound transatlantic. The ship's newspaper had announced that we would meet the Queen Mary in mid-Atlantic at about 10:17 that morning. I was a skeptical 12-year-old and doubted that they could predict the meeting with such precision, but I was out on deck in a cold Atlantic fog at the appointed time. Then, looming dramatically out of the fog, there she was: the Queen Mary surging along under full power, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! The Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary saluted each other with a deep, long blast on their sirens --- a thundering bass note that seemed to rumble in your bones. I was struck to my soul, ecstatically happy, and loved those ships like no object on Earth! The Romance of the Sea! Every cruise since brings me a glorious echo of that early passion. :D

Sorry to disappoint, but the former Cunard liner currently berthed at Long Beach is not "the original Queen Mary". That honour belongs to a smaller, but no less venerable vessel, the Clyde turbine steamer Queen Mary, built by William Denny and Brothers of Dumbarton and launched on 30 March 1933. In 1935, when Cunard were preparing to launch their Queen Mary, Williamson and Buchanan Steamships Ltd agreed to rename their ship Queen Mary II, a name that she retained until 1973 when, following a reorganisation of the Caledonian MacBrayen fleet, the "II" was dropped as Cunard's ship had been withdrawn from service. By coincidence, Queen Mary II was the first ship of any significance that I ever travelled on and she still exists, although her future is uncertain as she scheduled to be sold by auction on 24 August this year. She served for many years as a restaurant ship on the River Thames in London, but what her fate will be now is anybody's guess.

J

Sorry to disappoint, but the former Cunard liner currently berthed at Long Beach is not "the original Queen Mary". That honour belongs to a smaller, but no less venerable vessel, the Clyde turbine steamer Queen Mary, built by William Denny and Brothers of Dumbarton and launched on 30 March 1933. In 1935, when Cunard were preparing to launch their Queen Mary, Williamson and Buchanan Steamships Ltd agreed to rename their ship Queen Mary II, a name that she retained until 1973 when, following a reorganisation of the Caledonian MacBrayen fleet, the "II" was dropped as Cunard's ship had been withdrawn from service. By coincidence, Queen Mary II was the first ship of any significance that I ever travelled on and she still exists, although her future is uncertain as she scheduled to be sold by auction on 24 August this year. She served for many years as a restaurant ship on the River Thames in London, but what her fate will be now is anybody's guess.

J

Does this mean that the current Cunard flagship and my favorite ship should really be named Queen Mary 3? Regards,Jerry

My most thrilling moment at sea was in July 1966 aboard RMS Queen Elizabeth, westbound transatlantic. The ship's newspaper had announced that we would meet the Queen Mary in mid-Atlantic at about 10:17 that morning. I was a skeptical 12-year-old and doubted that they could predict the meeting with such precision, but I was out on deck in a cold Atlantic fog at the appointed time. Then, looming dramatically out of the fog, there she was: the Queen Mary surging along under full power, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! The Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary saluted each other with a deep, long blast on their sirens --- a thundering bass note that seemed to rumble in your bones. I was struck to my soul, ecstatically happy, and loved those ships like no object on Earth! The Romance of the Sea! Every cruise since brings me a glorious echo of that early passion. :D

Excellent memory Ralph. Thanks for sharing. Would love to have seen something like that. In 2006 we had boarded QM2 in Southampton and before we departed, the captain announced that the QE2 would be sailing along on its way to a refit in Germany. Very shortly she came by and the two Queens sounded their loud thunderous horns to each other. That was moving enough, but I can only imagine what your experience in mid Atlantic must have been like!

Beth

Beth,

Great to read this, next time we meet in the Commodore Club on QM2 again you must tell me more!

When I lived in Belmont Shore, many mornings I would go for a walk along the beach, and look across the water to the Queen Mary. She looked so majestic, even under the bright southern Californian sun.

During my visits on board I spent time exploring differing sections, but most of all I enjoyed just wandering her open decks.

I would love to pay another visit soon to see the progress of the restoration work, putting back some of what was ripped out of her in the 60s and later.

Thank you once again Beth, wonderful memories.

All best wishes to you both (I think you've a family wedding about now?)

Hi Pepper,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm so glad that you enjoyed my memories. I have been hesitant to visit the ship in Long Beach but perhaps with the new renovations it is time to return.

Jerry joins me in sending very best wishes to you, also. We look forward to that visit in the Commodore Club.

Beth

Excellent memory Ralph. Thanks for sharing. Would love to have seen something like that. In 2006 we had boarded QM2 in Southampton and before we departed, the captain announced that the QE2 would be sailing along on its way to a refit in Germany. Very shortly she came by and the two Queens sounded their loud thunderous horns to each other. That was moving enough, but I can only imagine what your experience in mid Atlantic must have been like!

You're welcome! Even though I had never seen her before, the Queen Mary already had a fond place in our family history: my Dad, a captain in the 8th Air Force stationed in England 1943-45, came home at the end of the war aboard the Queen Mary travelling "hot-bunk", i.e. two men for every berth, sleeping in shifts. Not much luxury, but a very happy bunch of passengers!

Ralph. You perfectly put into words how I have always felt about Queen Mary. I, too, was awed by the bone shaking salutes. I was fortunate as a child to sail twice on the Queen Mary and have since stayed aboard twice in Long Beach. She will always be my favorite ship. Thanks for the memories.:D

Archived