Half Day on Sunday Istanbul Bosphorus cruise?

We are in Istanbul for a day and a half. 1st day with a guide for the day, 2nd day on our own.

Day two is a half day (ship departs at 2PM) and is a Sunday. We are looking at a river cruise. Anyone have advise? I found a site talking about the non-ferry cruises here:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Sights/Bosphorus/turyol.html

But does anyone have advice? the ship has an excursion but its $60 pp and we are a family of 4

A Bosphorus ferry-cruise will cost under USD6 pp. Ferries are cheap & fun. The "tourist ferry" round-trip timings don't suit a 2pm sailaway, but you could dig into the timings of the traditional ferries -same experience, but more stops. Or travel back from Saryer by taxi. Don't know the price of a taxi, but not expensive.

Consider the evening ferry-cruise??

Alternatively, consider a ferry trip up the Golden Horn. Costs pennies, but you do need local money. Get the ferry from Eminonu (south side of Galata Bridge, you'll encounter it on your first day), end destination is Eyup. Take it as far as you wish, then jump off & wait for a ferry going the other way.

If you get off at Haskoy Park (about 20 mins from Eminonu), you could consider taking a look round the transport & engineering museum (open on sundays) before taking a ferry back. You'll see the outside exhibits from on board the ferry.

http://www.rmk-museum.org.tr/english/index.html

You'll not have time to do it justice, but it's inexpensive & uncrowded.

If you want to dally there longer, you could take a taxi back to your ship.

Can I suggest you research so that you know your options, but don't commit in case you want to delve deeper into somewhere you visit (or fail to visit) on your guided day.

And get your money's-worth from your guide by asking his/her advice.

John Bull :)

I may have a minority opinion of one, but I wouldn't put a Bosporus cruise that high on my list of "must-dos" in Istanbul with only a day and a half there. If you've got 3-4 days, then yes, it's interesting. But you do get a great view of Istanbul from the ship on the sail in and out, and FWIW, I think the time is better spent on land when you are so limited.

Most guidebooks that highly recommend a Bosporus cruise are geared to travelers who arrived by plane and are planning to stay several days.

On the other hand, if you've got your hearts set on it and think you'll enjoy it, then go for it. I can't say it wasn't interesting, but I certainly wouldn't have chosen to do it over something else like Chora Church or the Archaeology Museum (2 places a one-day tour doesn't usually take you.....)

A Bosphorus ferry-cruise will cost under USD6 pp. Ferries are cheap & fun. The "tourist ferry" round-trip timings don't suit a 2pm sailaway, but you could dig into the timings of the traditional ferries -same experience, but more stops. Or travel back from Saryer by taxi. Don't know the price of a taxi, but not expensive.

Consider the evening ferry-cruise??

Alternatively, consider a ferry trip up the Golden Horn. Costs pennies, but you do need local money. Get the ferry from Eminonu (south side of Galata Bridge, you'll encounter it on your first day), end destination is Eyup. Take it as far as you wish, then jump off & wait for a ferry going the other way.

If you get off at Haskoy Park (about 20 mins from Eminonu), you could consider taking a look round the transport & engineering museum (open on sundays) before taking a ferry back. You'll see the outside exhibits from on board the ferry.

http://www.rmk-museum.org.tr/english/index.html

You'll not have time to do it justice, but it's inexpensive & uncrowded.

If you want to dally there longer, you could take a taxi back to your ship.

Can I suggest you research so that you know your options, but don't commit in case you want to delve deeper into somewhere you visit (or fail to visit) on your guided day.

And get your money's-worth from your guide by asking his/her advice.

John Bull :)

Thanks John. Will probably not book anything until we get there (or closer). Ship has an excursion but its $60pp. Traditional Ferry may not work due to timing?? Only there for half the day so was looking at the faster boat trip vs the 6 hour ferry ride that we wont have time for.

Guess we could do an evening thing on Saturday. Was just thinking of something that Sunday and cruise was first that popped into my head.

Traditional Ferry may not work due to timing?? Only there for half the day so was looking at the faster boat trip vs the 6 hour ferry ride that we wont have time for.

quote]

Here's the trad ferry timetable - for what it's worth. I've gotta be reading it all wrong, cos there's a stack of unreal big gaps.

http://wizardistanbul.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2010_2011_istanbul_bosphorus_ferry_timetable.pdf

One thing seems pretty sure, you could take the 10.35 from Eminonu to Sariyer (11.45) or A/Kavagi (12.05). Sariyer has more to offer than A/Kavagi, & gives you a little time to explore & drink some lunch before taxi back to your ship, 13 miles, 45 mins.

It's what we did in reverse on a land stay in Istanbul

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Meserburnu+Cd&daddr=Mumhane+Cd&geocode=FaIodAIdumC7AQ%3BFU78cQId8i66AQ&hl=en&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=12&doflg=ptm&sll=41.144794,29.033775&sspn=0.097469,0.210114&ie=UTF8&z=12

Hi Cynthia, no, you're not in a minority of one :)

Istanbul's other offerings were also in the back of my mind, hence the last para of my post.;)

You'd go for the archaeology museum, I'd go for the 19th/20th century museum or the Bosphorus, betcha the OP eventually ends up somewhere completely different :D And enjoys it.

Might even come down to energy levels on the day - the ferry is a lazy-man's morning :cool:

JB

Search or email viatour. They picked us up at hotel in the morning took us to Egyptian bazaar and Bosphorus river cruise one way, then picked us up and transported us to the ship for 8 people the price (can't remember exactly) but about $35 in 2008. Worked great and had us to the ship with plenty of time. Viatour is showing a the 1/2 day egyptian Bazaar and Bosphorus cruise for $38 and a transfer from hotel to port for $8.75. Check out making a custom tour!

Archived