christmas getaway Thomson Dream

Hi Kruzseeka

You seem to be an absolute font of knowledge, I wish I could take you with us on our cruise!

Thanks, we are going to La Ramona, I'd looked on Google maps and there didn't seem to be anywhere for a cruise ship to dock, apart from a rather grubby looking area which had freight ships around. I may just leave hubby on board and do a quick 'recky' then back to the ship for a cocktail or two.

Thanks again

Lynn ;)

Wish I could come too Lynn ;) but I'll be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back! :)

Hi Kruzseeka

You seem to be an absolute font of knowledge, I wish I could take you with us on our cruise!

Thanks, we are going to La Ramona, I'd looked on Google maps and there didn't seem to be anywhere for a cruise ship to dock, apart from a rather grubby looking area which had freight ships around. I may just leave hubby on board and do a quick 'recky' then back to the ship for a cocktail or two.

Thanks again

Lynn ;)

Hello again, Lynn :)

I've just had a look at Google Earth and if you look to the right of the main part of the town, you will see quite a wide river estuary with a couple of bridges going over it to the bottom right of the town itself. (One is the road bridge, the other the train line which carries the sugar cane trains to the nearby factory where its processed.)

At the bottom right of the estuary you can see the berthing (narrowish strip of concrete which can only accommodate one ship I reckon - but on my view there isn't a ship there so it's not too obvious that's what it is). The compound area is a roughly triangular shaped plot with the quay on the left and coming to a kind of point at the sea. You can see some newly made roadways, lots of marked-out parking places where the transfer buses and coaches stop and the turquoise-roofed building is, I think, the duty free. Actually this part of La Romana is new and smart-looking.

The compound is surrounded by security fencing and guards(!) but you can walk out through a gate in the the 'top' edge of the triangle, then you walk across a roughish track and then onto the unmade road (my dh thinks it might be a made road - it's not bad though) which runs parallel to the water (there are some properties between this 'road' and the water). When you get to the end of this road, you cross the railway line and then you'll see the main road and you turn left across the road bridge and walk into town form there.

La Romana is not really geared to tourists though - it's 'interesting' but I found it a little uncomfortable there. Best take some advice on board and see what you think might be most suitable for you to do there.

Hope you can find the 'port' (!!!!) from my description - no wonder you couldn't find it though - I think you would have to have been there to know what to look for! :)

Hi Kruzseeka

Yes I've found it now, I was a little further up river on the other side, where it looks rather dilapidated. It does look better on the right side and I can see the parking spaces. I don't fancy pushing hubby about there though so I think he could find himself confined to barracks, unless Thomson come up with an attractive trip at a reasonable price.

Once again thanks for all your help,

Lynn :)

Tickets are here! :D:D:D:D (That's one for each of us)

I was bothered about Panama, but now the only problem is which trip to choose!

My dh was determined not to get excited, but now even he's caught the bug. He's read the booklet from cover to cover (twice I think) and I thought when he went out I would get to have a look too, but he's hidden the damn thing or else taken it with him!

Starting to worry now that I won't get everything done in time. I must book the dog into kennels - that costs so much I think it would be cheaper to take him with us! :(

Lynn :)

Well my fellow christmas getaway cruisers The Transatlantic cruise has departed which means that Its our turn next!!:D:D:D Now all i need to do is get rid of this horrible cold start my packing Cant wait to feel the sun on my face.

See You All Soon

Rhian

Picked up our currency today and suddenly it all seems real. I too can't wait for the sun, especially as the weather seems to have taken a turn for the worse!

Looking forward to seeing those of you flying from Manchester very soon. We leave at 10:50.

Lynn x :D

Hi all our family really excited now first time in Caribbean still havent booked any trips yet just carnt seem to decide

found a company called columbia eco travel they have the volcano mud trip which looks real fun pick up is in the old town of cartagena

youtube.com/columbiaecotravel looks fun quoted $35 usd each incl beach time and lunch

may have a go at this

any one else booked any thing ?? or know of this company ??

Hotel and Escape lounge booked at Manchester airport, can't wait now. Not sure about trips yet, I've never cruised before so a bit worried about booking trips other than Thomsons! I keep getting e-mails from cruisingexcursions.com has anyone used them?

Don't do it! We used this company and booked 3 trips. One was cancelled while at sea and I'm still waiting for a refund. On the last day our tour guide was over 1/2 an hour late and when we tried the contact numbers they'd give us the companies said they'd stopped using Cruising Excursions. This sounds like a company thats going to the wall. Save your money!

Doesn't this just go to show how valuable this site is for fellow cruisers! Very useful feedback jasper.

There are so many taxis/minibuses/tour firms dockside, unless you are wanting to do something really different, I'd say you should be able to pick up a suitable trip when you arrive.

There are so many taxis/minibuses/tour firms dockside, unless you are wanting to do something really different, I'd say you should be able to pick up a suitable trip when you arrive.

While I agree with this approach on the whole, we tried it on St. Lucia one year and stood with the guy while he rounded up some other tourists to go on a round-the-island boat trip.

After waiting for 45 minutes, during which time he was arguing with another tour leader and phoning his own boat captain, he announce that as there were only twelve of us waiting his captain had decided it wasn't worth his while coming so the excursion wasn't going ahead!

We gave up, went back on board our ship for lunch, then took a taxi to a local beach for the afternoon.

A good compromise is to go with the local operators who are recommended on this forum. When we returned to St. Lucia another year we pre-booked with Cosol tours and had a fantastic day out.

Carol x

Where was your cruise Jasper? I've booked trips with Cruising Excursions in Curacao and Jamaica!!!! I haven't paid an awful lot but wouldn't like to lose my money anyway.

We should be on the Curacao trip in 7 days time so I'll try to report back to let people know how the trip went (or not!):rolleyes:

Hope you've managed to recover from your cold Rhian and looking forward to meeting you at Manchester.

Glad you're better Rhian! :) We've not packed yet, just keep thinking of last minute things we might need, but I think the time has arrived now were we just grab tickets, passports and money and go! Anything we don't have with us, we do without. Our taxi (minibus) is booked for 7am and off we jolly well go! :D

See you all soon :cool:

Lynn x

• 3 weeks later...
Where was your cruise Jasper? I've booked trips with Cruising Excursions in Curacao and Jamaica!!!! I haven't paid an awful lot but wouldn't like to lose my money anyway.

We should be on the Curacao trip in 7 days time so I'll try to report back to let people know how the trip went (or not!):rolleyes:

Hope you've managed to recover from your cold Rhian and looking forward to meeting you at Manchester.

How did it go? Did you get your $$ worth with cruisingexcursions.com?

Haven't time to write much, but had a wonderful time on the cruise. No problems with Cruising Excursions at all. Both Curacao and Jamaica were great trips and I couldn't fault the people or the timings.

One word of warning to anyone going to Cartagena, beware the taxi man with the eye patch (son christened him pirate Pete) he ripped us off big time! :mad::mad:

Happy New Year to everyone ;)

Lynn xxx

Haven't time to write much, but had a wonderful time on the cruise. No problems with Cruising Excursions at all. Both Curacao and Jamaica were great trips and I couldn't fault the people or the timings.

One word of warning to anyone going to Cartagena, beware the taxi man with the eye patch (son christened him pirate Pete) he ripped us off big time! :mad::mad:

Happy New Year to everyone ;)

Lynn xxx

So pleased to hear that you had such a good time Lynn - will look forward to reading more about your experiences. And a Happy New Year to you too - and happy future cruising! ;) (Have you looked at the brochures yet! :D )

• 1 month later...

Archived