Splendor embarkation/debarkation

coasterjan

Hubby and I sailed on the Splendor last week, May 15-22, and I have to say this was the easiest embarkation and debarkation we've ever had (in 8 cruises). All of our other cruises were in the Caribbean, and I really didn't know what to expect in Long Beach.

My brother lives in nearby Buena Park, and he dropped us off in the parking garage/drop-off area around 1:00 PM, the porters took our luggage and we got in line. (There were actually several "lines", checking ID and such, but all of them moved *very* fast.) Let me just say that we were on the ship, dropped our carry-ons in our room, and were eating at the rotisserie before my brother got home (I think it took us less than 30 minutes to check in). And that was going through the regular check-in lines. Amazing.

We did self-assist debarkation. They cleared the ship and began self-assist around 7:00AM, and we were standing on the curb in the parking garage waiting for our ride about 7:20AM. Customs only had maybe 10 lines going and I'm sure it gets terribly backed up later in the morning, but we were probably among the first hundred people off the ship and we just flew through all of it. I had expected that it would take us a couple hours to get off the ship, so I was stunned by how easy it was. Maybe we just got lucky, but it seemed to me that the staff really had their act together at this port.

Same here we got off May 15 and we were on board eating by 12:30, we had our bags in our cabin by 1:45, and we were off by 8:00 with self assist. We went to breakfast at 7 or we could have been off even earlier. We had a perfect cruise on Splendor. Can't wait to return on April 29 next year!

Putting down my 100.00 for our OBC for next year!

DSC00116.jpg

Yup was on the May 8th sailing and embark/debark was second best experience we've had, only Tampa was better but I tell you it's a close second.

We got to port at 1115 am, got zone 5 tag, started embark at noon, we were on ship by 1230.

Debark we had zone 8, self assist was 7-8am, then zone's started, we were called at 845, my parking receipt shows I paid at 925 am.

Fantastic experience, I too had read many negative reviews but ours was just the opposite.

I sail tomorrow out of this port on the SPLENDOR, but I've sailed out of this port several other times before and I've always been pleased. IMHO its without a doubt the most beautiful embarkation area with the "Queen" nearby and the grounds and facilities so well taken care of.

I sail tomorrow out of this port on the SPLENDOR, but I've sailed out of this port several other times before and I've always been pleased. IMHO its without a doubt the most beautiful embarkation area with the "Queen" nearby and the grounds and facilities so well taken care of.

what time do you arrive? i'm starting to think 11:00 might be the best time to arrive. are you platinum or a 'normy' like me? want to base my decision off all the feedback i read.

deena26...

Gary is Platinum, so gets to embark through the VIP lines.

Since you are a "normy";) - personally I think that you are better off either deciding that you want to arrive early or late:

If you decide to do Early Check-In and get a Zone One card.

You should get there about 9 AM if you want to do this.

The Con about this approach, is that you will then have to wait about 2 hours or more before they open the lines to start boarding.

The Pro about this approach, is that you will get on the ship amongst the first people in line. You can also take a little time to walk around the Queen Mary for free to pass some time.

You will also have to walk around with your carry-on bags once you get on the ship, because you need to wait until about 12:30 to 1:30 PM for the cabins to be ready (I give that time frame, because sometimes the Cabin Steward will let you drop them off earlier).

Another approach is to get there somewhere between 1:00 to 2:00 PM.

This way, all the big lines, and backups are already through.

You can get on really quickly (anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes from parking lot to cabin) and go right to your cabin to drop off your bags and settle in!

I do this more often than not now, as it's the fastest and least stressful from my house to the ship.

It drives me crazy to be able to see the ship, but have to wait in line and not board for a few hours the other way!

I only ever do it one way or the other...

My personal experience (over several times in and out of this port) is that the busiest and slowest times are between 11 AM and 1 PM.

That's when the most people show up, and there are the longest biggest lines.

Hope that help.

:D

We also sailed Splendor on May 15th. We arrived around 10:00. I forgot the locks for one of our bags so hubby ran to shops near by to get one, so we probably didn't get in line for check in until about 10:30. We were in line for maybe 10 minutes and were given zone 2 cards. I new we would have a while to kill so we had packed books in our backpacks. We found a bench next to the Queen Mary and relaxed, read and people watched. It went by very fast. When they called our zone #, we were on the ship within 10 minutes. It was amazing! Debarkation was just as great. We were given zone 7 tags. We ate breakfast while we waited until our zone was called and we were off the ship through customs in a few minutes. Our luggage was easy to find. We live an hour away from port and we were home by 10:30. Have a great trip!!

deena26...

Gary is Platinum, so gets to embark through the VIP lines.

Since you are a "normy";) - personally I think that you are better off either deciding that you want to arrive early or late:

If you decide to do Early Check-In and get a Zone One card.

You should get there about 9 AM if you want to do this.

The Con about this approach, is that you will then have to wait about 2 hours or more before they open the lines to start boarding.

The Pro about this approach, is that you will get on the ship amongst the first people in line. You can also take a little time to walk around the Queen Mary for free to pass some time.

You will also have to walk around with your carry-on bags once you get on the ship, because you need to wait until about 12:30 to 1:30 PM for the cabins to be ready (I give that time frame, because sometimes the Cabin Steward will let you drop them off earlier).

Another approach is to get there somewhere between 1:00 to 2:00 PM.

This way, all the big lines, and backups are already through.

You can get on really quickly (anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes from parking lot to cabin) and go right to your cabin to drop off your bags and settle in!

I do this more often than not now, as it's the fastest and least stressful from my house to the ship.

It drives me crazy to be able to see the ship, but have to wait in line and not board for a few hours the other way!

I only ever do it one way or the other...

My personal experience (over several times in and out of this port) is that the busiest and slowest times are between 11 AM and 1 PM.

That's when the most people show up, and there are the longest biggest lines.

Hope that help.

:D

Exactly right on with everything, Jerome. I'll be early this time because I'm traveling with a friend and he's never sailed Carnival before. Thought he might want to go over to the Queen Mary and wander around the grounds before boarding; maybe grab a beer.

If memory serves me right, PLATINUM and VIP boards around NOON. I'm sure it depends on how well debarkation has gone. The different numbered zones than follow after that, so waiting until 2:00 or so will most definitely get you onboard very fast. And you won't have to wait to go to your cabin.

Arriving early also has the advantage of time leeway to take care of auto problems, maybe a minor accident, etc. I-405 can be finicky also even though at this time on a Sunday it moves right along. But a major accident could cause HUGE delays . . . just sayin' :D

GREAT to hear! We sail on the Splendor in 3 weeks! I have heard negative posts about embarkation and debarkation and was getting worried!

You will be getting on the ship, while we will be debarking!!!:p

Okay, great advice! Going early, then having breakfast at the QM, maybe a bloody mary to start things off might work. Waiting hours to board might be a little annoying though. Sighhh, such decisions right. hahaha. poor me...

Archived