Eurodam vs Westerdam

CinWin

Am considering a cruise on the Westerdam. Sailed on the Eurodam in 2008 when new and liked it. How do the 2 ships compare in age and size? Is the Westerdam in good shape? Am in a quandry about which ship to book. Both have the same itinerary. :confused:

Cindy

Am considering a cruise on the Westerdam. Sailed on the Eurodam in 2008 when new and liked it. How do the 2 ships compare in age and size? Is the Westerday in good shape? Am in a quandry about which ship to book. Both have the same itinerary. :confused:

Cindy

I was considering both ships for our Dec cruise. Prices were the same (or close) and I was going to go for the newer even though we have an emotional attachment to Westerdam from her previous incarnation. The thing that turned me to her in the end was that she leaves on Sunday rather than Saturday. For me to miss two Saturdays in a row in my store is problematic.

It seems what you give up are Tamarind and Silk Den and the Pool and Sun Deck cabanas as far as ship amenities.

From what I have read both ships have their ardent admirers and both could use some attention to wear and tear in places. No ships stays 100% for long. Others will come in to tell you more specifics on this aspect I am sure.

I doubt you'll go wrong in either case. Enjoy.

I do agree that the Tamarind, Silk Den and cabanas (not the ones by the pool) were pluses. By the way, I heard that the Eurodam is in drydock for refurbishment before she sails for Europe. The sailings we are looking at are late November or early December. At first we thought the newest ship (Niew Amsterdam) would be a choice, but it is too inconvenient for us to sail from Miami.

Cindy

I was wrong on my above post when I said the Nieuw Amsterdam sails from Miami. It does sail out of Ft. Lauderdale doing a 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise from Sunday to Sunday. I think this is the cruise I will book. :)

Cindy

Concur with KK. They are virtually identical (only 50 or so passenger capacity difference), but Eurodam has Tamarind, Silk Den, and cabanas.
The Eurodam carries 2,104 (double occupancy) and the Westerdam 1,916. That's 188 more, and the Eurodam did feel crowded to me, especially in the Lido. The Tamarind does take some of that extra load off the MDR.

Archived