Vancouver Hotels

wbmom401

I have done my best to keep tabs on the different threads regarding this, but am going to ask for one last time about Hotel options. Of course I must say I AM happy that I had a few reservation options already in the works, because with the Stanley Cup going on the available rooms will disappear quickly and the cost will be going up. Anyways, my DH and I will be arriving in Vancouver next Friday at 11am. We will be staying one night before our departure on Saturday.

I am trying to decide between two hotels which I have booked on my own. They are the Best Western Downtown Vancouver, and the Westin Bayshore, with the Best Western being $80 less than the Westin. Some of the perks that the Best Western has to offer, which are not included at the Westin are a free breakfast, they will pay for our transfers from the airport, and they have a shuttle service to the cruise port.

So for those of you that would like to weigh in, I would love to hear your thoughts….thank you in advanceJ.

It's pretty hard to compare a Westin hotel with a Best Western .... but for the dollar differential, the perks and for one night, I would probably go with the BW unless you want something special and are willing to pay for it.:)

Thanks Putterdude,

I had a hunch you would be my first responder, thank you so much. I agree and understand there is a difference between the BW and the Westin. I had been leaning towards the Westin but because we did not book through Princess we do not get the benefits of the Princess kiosk in the hotel lobby. And when I called Princess to get a better understanding of what services the kiosk provided, I found out that we would still need to wait in lines at the cruise terminal. The extra money would have definitely been worth that!

Anyways, can you tell me if the Best Western is at least in an ok area, with some last minute shopping around it, places to eat etc.... I also was wondering if the walk from the BW to the cruise port is a doable walk with a couple of suitcases? Looks to be about 15 city blocks give or take?

Thanks so much!

Thanks Putterdude,

I had a hunch you would be my first responder, thank you so much. I agree and understand there is a difference between the BW and the Westin. I had been leaning towards the Westin but because we did not book through Princess we do not get the benefits of the Princess kiosk in the hotel lobby. And when I called Princess to get a better understanding of what services the kiosk provided, I found out that we would still need to wait in lines at the cruise terminal. The extra money would have definitely been worth that!

Anyways, can you tell me if the Best Western is at least in an ok area, with some last minute shopping around it, places to eat etc.... I also was wondering if the walk from the BW to the cruise port is a doable walk with a couple of suitcases? Looks to be about 15 city blocks give or take?

It's a longish walk; although I can't see a taxi being much more than $10 for the trip which is probably what I would do. There are also a ton of buses up and down Granville St, and you could grab one for $2.50, US or Cdn coin only.. When the bus arrives, just explain where you're going, and the driver will tell you if their bus is appropriate and /or which bus to take.

That will get you to within a couple of blocks of Canada Place (most buses end/turn around at Waterfront station a couple of blocks away).

The area around the Best Western is residental - I live in a condo nearby and can see the BW from my apartment - there is a White Spot restaurant http://www.whitespot.ca in the hotel - there is also one near the Bayshore - if you are worried about hockey noise and celebrations the Westin would be better as the BW is at the top end of the Granville Entertainment district and it is usually busy on weekends regardless - shopping is a toss up as both hotels are only a couple of blocks to services - either on Rosbon/Denman for the Westin and Granville/Davie for the BW - the Best Western has a shuttle to Canada Place - you can see the ships from the Westin and could walk along the seawalk to the Canada Place if you choose - in either case it no more than $10 for a taxi from either hotel.

Enjoy your visit and cruise

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

The BW has the free shuttle to Canada Place so transportation should not be an issue for you but there are the other options mentioned above. There is a White Spot restaurant, which is kind of a local legend in family dining, on the ground level of the hotel and they serve up a good breakfast. You will find a number of restaurants in the area, particularly to the east in the Yaletown area...another local poster, Ut lives in the neighbourhood and perhaps can make some recommendations. As for area, it is just fine, although the area a couple of blocks to the north on Granville St. is the entertainment district and with its clubs, bars, adult book stores and alike can get a bit rowdy after dark. Six blocks to the north on Granville is the heart of Vancouver's downtown shopping area and features Pacific Centre, a large underground shopping mall, Hudson's Bay, Sears, and London Drugs. So for dollar invested the BW is just fine.

`bit rowdy`

If you mean yelling and cheering and hooting and hollering and flag waving and horn honlking after a big victory yes you will encounter that and I will likley be admist the crowd participating - Granville Street is no more unsafe at night than any entertainment area in any major city and since they close off the street to through traffic on weekends the incidents of trouble have gone away down.

We are actually down to two or three adult stores and pawn shops and the City has pretty well indicated that they will be allowed only in one block on the strip.

Granville was for years our theatre row with is glitzy neon signs etc - for the Olympics much of that scene has been restored -also as you walk along the street in the 800 and 900 hundred blocks you will see your walk of fame - there are plaques with the names of those who have made entertainment history in Vancouver and are part of the BC Entertainment Fall of Fame - Bryan Adams is there.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for all the great info! Seems like the BW may be the way we go, where we are only in town for a short time :( I am really hoping that we will clear customs quickly and get to the hotel in enough time to make it to the suspension bridge, but we shall see.

As for the celebration noise, we unfortunately will miss that because the one of the big games is on Saturday evening and we will be setting sail. We were hoping the games were going to be on Wednesday and Friday, but unfortunately not. Oh well, we are hoping for a good series.

Again thanks for all the great information and if you have anything else to add that would be wonderful. I just checked out the whitespot.com link and that looks good. I believe that is where we are given our complimentary breakfast :).

I just call the Bestwestern and they told me they only take people to the port from the hotel, do not pick up at the port. I called besause our cruise ends in Vancouver. They may still be a good place for us.

MY TA recommended Blue Horizon, any comments?

Thank you

I looked on trip advisor they had good reviews for hotel and location. I think I might book it. Hotel.com rate for Sept 19 when we will be there is $143.00 total in Canadian funds and you do not pay until checkout. The hotel site was $159 plus tax.

I looked on trip advisor they had good reviews for hotel and location. I think I might book it. Hotel.com rate for Sept 19 when we will be there is $143.00 total in Canadian funds and you do not pay until checkout. The hotel site was $159 plus tax.

Three years ago this week we left Vancouver on our Alaskan cruise. We stayed at the Blue Horizon for 2 nights and booked it on hotels.com. We were able to walk all over, to all the restaurants, stores, etc. on Robson. We even walked down to Stanley Park and took a horse-drawn ride through a portion of it. It was beautiful and the walk there was also.

We arrived at the hotel a little early but they gave us a room on the 30th floor (which on hotels.com was extra $). What a view! The hotel was probably built in the 60's or 70's, but was very well kept up. We would stay there again and the rate was reasonable, not sure, but around $135-140/night.

Oh, they also gave us a business card with a restaurant recommendation (can't remember name) and said to give to hostess and we would get a table right away. And we did. Very good restaurant - food and service, and only a short walk from the hotel.

If you book, hope you enjoy it - and also Alaska - it was amazing!

Three years ago this week we left Vancouver on our Alaskan cruise. We stayed at the Blue Horizon for 2 nights and booked it on hotels.com. We were able to walk all over, to all the restaurants, stores, etc. on Robson. We even walked down to Stanley Park and took a horse-drawn ride through a portion of it. It was beautiful and the walk there was also.

We arrived at the hotel a little early but they gave us a room on the 30th floor (which on hotels.com was extra $). What a view! The hotel was probably built in the 60's or 70's, but was very well kept up. We would stay there again and the rate was reasonable, not sure, but around $135-140/night.

Oh, they also gave us a business card with a restaurant recommendation (can't remember name) and said to give to hostess and we would get a table right away. And we did. Very good restaurant - food and service, and only a short walk from the hotel.

If you book, hope you enjoy it - and also Alaska - it was amazing!

Thanks for the information, I just checked out their website. I also sent them an email and they still have availability which is about same as the BW which Putterdude said for the money invested is fine. So now my question to all you Vancouver people is, would you switch to the Blue Horizon if you could? I realize I would then have to pay for the Skytrain from the airport and cab ride to the pier, but is the location worth it?

Archived