Free Drinks at Sailaway?? How many?

Cruisemaiden

Are the drinks free at sailaway? :confused: I remember on my last cruise on the Triumph, at sailaway they came around handing out rum punch in Carnival glasses...can't remember if they were complimentary or not??

I doubt they were free but just wondering......only 32 days to go for my sailing on the Elation.:) :D ;)

Everyone is invited to Captains party which is usually 45 minutes before your assigned dinner seating on the evening of the 1st full day of your cruise . They come around with wine, champagne, whiskey sours, rum punch, etc. However, if you go back to where the drinks are prepared you can ask for your drink of choice...but its not too easy as most of the drink are made in the back room. They also serve hoe' doerves and a band plays dance music. The cruise director then introduces the captain who welcomes everyone and introduces his Sr officers. You also have the opportunity of meeting the captain and having your picture taken with him.

I remember our first cruise and wife grabbed two foo foos from the waiter off the tray, thinking they were free. She also thought the pictures were free.

She got away with the pictures. Drinks, I paid cash.

I can only imagine how crowded the top decks would be if the drinks were free for sail away.

Seems that sail away is not a big deal on ships no longer. Gone are the days of streamers and cork popping. (enviromental problems) No more tug boats spraying water around as the ship pulls out. Etc. etc.

No more tug boats spraying water around as the ship pulls out. Etc. etc.

I sailed on the RCCL Monarch of the Seas on it's first 4 day cruise from Los Angeles in June of 2003. There was a fire boat that preceded us as we sailed down the channel spraying water as it went. When we got to the end of the channel it just spun around shooting water as it did. It was a gas and really was spectacular.

Reggie:D

Thats the stuff Im talking about Reggie- you dont see that anymore.

Sad for first time cruisers if they expect sail away to be anything like they saw on the loveboat- Now that was a sailaway.

We were just finishing up the Muster drill and decided to wait on one of the decks looking at the water while we waited for clear elevators when we realized we were sailing away. There wasn't even any waiters around with drinks. Wasn't the sailaway we expected, but were still excited to be on our way!!:rolleyes:

I can only imagine how crowded the top decks would be if the drinks were free for sail away.

Seems that sail away is not a big deal on ships no longer. Gone are the days of streamers and cork popping. (enviromental problems) No more tug boats spraying water around as the ship pulls out. Etc. etc.

Left on Voyager from Bayonne last year. Above was a plane pulling a banner saying that Royal Caribbean was polluting the waters! How's that for a sendaway!

We were on the Glory about a year ago over the New Year's holiday. From the minute we got onboard around noon we received free champagne until the muster drill. The staff was EVERYWHERE you went with a tray full of champagne glasses!! I have to say the muster drill was a little blury...

The "Sailaway Party" foo-foo drinks are not free but I feel it's always a bit deceptive, for first timers...."Yea we're on a cruise...the calypso music is playing and look there's "Issac" with the drinks."...that being said....I CAN'T RESIST THE BLOODY THINGS! *L*:o

On our upcoming cruise we're hosting a Bon Voyage Party, in our cabin, however (since there will be a sizable group) so perhaps I'll be satisfied with a glass of wine............NOT!!!

That will probably explain the huge sign on the drinks now. THe drink of the day will have a big sign that says 6.95 on it..

Do they still sell the drink of the day in the throwaway glasses, for a few bucks cheaper, as opposed to in the souvenier glasses for $6.95???

Never seen free drinks on sail away. ever

1986 and 1987 on the Jubilee........free champagne at sailaway; very crowded, loud music, lots of fun; gave the waiter $5 and he gave us the whole bottle (of course, it was worth less than $5, but it was fun!!):)

I have a somewhat Off Topic question, sorry... We had the free drinks at the returning guests party, and while I stuck to wine, my father had this amazing green colored thing. It was very sweet and fruity, but definitely had a kick of some hard liquor. Anyone know what it was? I assume they probably have mostly the same drinks at all of these things.. Thanks, and sorry again about the OT post, but people here seemed versed in the drink situation ;)

Archived