Which cruise do you recommend?

QLUVS2CRUZ

Being in America, we have sailed RCI and Carnival for cost and ease of getting to the port...we want to try a European cruise for our 10th anniversary in 2012. It will require us flying to Europe to board, which is fine...but which cruise to choose?? After reading some reviews, I think Costa sounds like a good cruise line for us (tell me if you'd suggest others), but it's hard to know which ports to choose. A few years back I looked briefly at one that starts in Italy then cruises to some of the Greek Isles and Alexandria...that sounded interesting...would you recommend a cruise like this? Or is one to Spain and the Italian ports more highly recommended?

I am still reading the boards, but your opinions are greatly appreciated.

mediterranean in general is always a good choice expecially if u choose it in "low season". high season for us is in august, because august 15 is the moment where everyone go to vacation (and prices are higher).

i'd suggest u a long cruise (a week is too short, they embark and disembark in every port and it's very stressing and chaotic)

i personally love cruising around noth europe and i can suggest norway, svalbards, iceland, greenland.

baltic is another wonderful choice.

i hope u'll like your stay on an italian ship :)

How important is "ease of getting to the ports"? I strongly recommend heading over to Europe a few days early, for both flight delay and jet lag reasons, but that can make getting to the ship a bit of an expedition unless carefully planned.

2 years ago - Aug. 09 - did Concordia round trip out of Barcelona - excellent vacation...we liked - ONLY 24 USA/Canada folks!

This year - cruising again out of Barcelona - on the smaller ship - Marina.

Also did a Costa cruise out of Dubai in Jan. 09

We very much enjoy the European atmosphere...and the crew treats us wonderfully - as their English is better for them than their Italian!

How important is "ease of getting to the ports"? I strongly recommend heading over to Europe a few days early, for both flight delay and jet lag reasons, but that can make getting to the ship a bit of an expedition unless carefully planned.

I think definitely a couple of days before and maybe after...if we are flying to Europe for a vacation, might at well get our money's worth!!

Barcelona is pretty easy. I've also done Milan/Savona- stayed in Milan, then went back to the airport for Costa's day-of-sailing transfer- reasonably priced and convenient. Remember to travel light. Costa doesn't have self-service laundry on board so that's something you'll have to plan for.

Archived